EntertainmentSnob, PopCulturalist, PostRacialist

Harry Connick Jr. Manages To Not Murder Blackfaced J5 Aussie “Tribute” (O RLY?)

Some things have to be seen to be believed, like five dorks in blackface (and one in “whiteface”) doing a “tribute” to the Jackson 5 as the Jackson Jive. I suppose you could attempt the “maybe Aussies don’t know blackface is offensive in 2009” excuse. That might work, you know? If they didn’t already have their own indigenous group of brown people who’ve suffered endless humiliations at the hands of the majority population. If anything it shows how just because you have your own racial issues doesn’t make you all that sensitive to the issues of others. Fortunately Harry Connick Jr., lovable New Orleans jazz man, was there to remind folks that blackface just is not funny. Mostly by mentioning that no one would pull that shit in the states for fear of a severe case of beatdown. Unless it’s Halloween and you’re a drunk frat boy dressed up as a “rapper.” But then, if you’re doing that it’s probably not on television and within the relative safety of your Phi Kappa House.

64 thoughts on “Harry Connick Jr. Manages To Not Murder Blackfaced J5 Aussie “Tribute” (O RLY?)

1. Echo says:

I’m loving this… I’ve been in Australia since 1972 and I’ve been waiting for the start of anything resembling civil rights.The reaction should have been, "My gosh we are terribly embarrassed this could happen in our country", but the many Australians who are a product of instiltutionlized racism, are out on the blogs pointing fingers and, ironically proving the point that Australia is a racist backwater.I’ve heard asians described as "Filthy dogs" and "less than human", I’ve heard aborginals characterized as violent drug addicted pedophiles.. "a waste of our tax money". Of course the aboriginals who are successful are characterized as owing that success to unfair advantage "why should they have better cars than us ?" From experience saying "Because they work harder than you.. They earnt it.." will get you beaten down.Harry Connick Jr has brought to attention a problem endemic in Australian society and thats good for all humanity.

2. Marietta says:

In response to the post that HCJR has a black grandmother,I just want to tell the author to get his/her FACTS RIGHTThe woman with him was Juanita a nice woman who looked after Harry and his sister after their beloved MOTHER passedaway and was treated as a family member.I have followed Harrys career for over 20 years and I can matter of factattest that he is a very humble,intelligent,respectful young man.He was being himself when he made the comment aboutthat episode.He never had any intention of creating this overreaction.So can all these hatred and mean things said abouthim be stopped and let us go on with our lives.PEACE EVERYONE.LOVE IS SO MUCH MORE BETTER THANHATRED AND MEAN.WE GODSPEED HARRY.09/10/09

3. Marietta says:

In response to the post that HCJR has a black grandmother,I just want to tell the author to get his/her FACTS RIGHTThe woman with him was Juanita a nice woman who looked after Harry and his sister after their beloved MOTHER passedaway and was treated as a family member.I have followed Harrys career for over 20 years and I can matter of factattest that he is a very humble,intelligent,respectful young man.He was being himself when he made the comment aboutthat episode.He never had any intention of creating this overreaction.So can all these hatred and mean things said abouthim be stopped and let us go on with our lives.PEACE EVERYONE.LOVE IS SO MUCH MORE BETTER THANHATRED AND MEAN. GODSPEED HARRY.09/10/09

4. Marietta says:

5. urban suburbanite says:

@MariettaWhy is saying that his grandmother (as he described this woman in the interview) a "hatred and mean thing"? Having african ancestry is insulting? Why does the thought of such a thing anger you so much?FYI, over 80% of "white" southerners have some sub-saharan african ancestry (similar numbers are true of "black" southerners having european ancestry). Some people of both groups say they have "indian blood" or that they are part "jewish". That is not to say that this is the case with HCJr., but if a family is more than so many generations in NOLA, chances are very slim of them being either %100 white, or %100 black. In any case, a knowledge of a possible racial mixture should never be considered "a mean thing".Also, I am assuming that the "he is a very humble,intelligent,respectful young man" was not directed toward me, as I never said that he wasn’t. I admire and respect him immensely.

6. Marietta says:

I would like to express my apology about my post if I offended anyone.i have black friends and I do not have any intentionof offending anyone.My only point is get the facts right before posting your view and not just make up a story based on a photo and saying HCJR is protesting as you said in your post.I am of ASIAN descent and believe me I have been there.ALL COLORS ARE BEAUTIFUL and be RESPECTED. I am sure if Harry had a black american grandmother he will love and treasure her like his own grandmothers

7. Marietta says:

I want to make it clear that my comment about stopping hatred and mean is not a response to the photo but to thepersonal bashing of harry in so many blogs/sites.If the woman in the photo is of white,asian or other race ,I will still point to the fact that tht woman in the photo was not his grandmother,that is all what I wanted to convey.,This is my first time to participate in this forums and frankly this is giving me headaches.So I am signing off.GODSPEEDand PEACE TO EVERYONE.HAPPY THANKSGIVING.SINCERELY.

8. urban suburbanite says:

Science. They compared the DNA of "white"Americans, with the DNA of Europeans and found that "white" Americans have (as well as "black" Americans) mixed genes, so to speak. The article even goes as far to state the difference in the physical appearance of "white" American vs. European, and "black" Americans vs. Africans is due to our genetic mixture. I quote "white" and "black", because its really just a sociological construct now.

9. I Smell Poop says:

The elderly black lady in the picture with Connick Jr. is the family housekeeper. She woked for the Connicks while Harry was a child. That arrangement stopped when Harry Jr. finished high school. Hatty was from Bridgeport, Connecticut. Connick Sr. was very good to her and her family. Of course, Harry Jr. isn’t from New Orleans. He’s from Weston, Ct. where he attended public school from 1970-1982, but failed to graduate. He later got a diploma from Briggs Vocational High School in Norwalk, CT. His real father was never the district attorney of New Orleans. He is or was one of the presidents of Sony Music and a stockholder in Sony Pictures. Hence his son’s show business success.