EntertainmentSnob, MediaSnob, Obamarama, PopCulturalist

And In Other News … The President Calls Kanye A Jackass

And hilarity ensued.

From Huffington Post:

During a CNBC interview on Monday, President Obama called Kanye West a “jackass” regarding his behavior at the MTV Video Music Awards. (Watch the video of Kanye interrupting Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the VMAs here and read about his first apology.)

“Pres. Obama just called Kanye West a ‘jackass’ for his outburst at VMAs when Taylor Swift won. Now THAT’S presidential,” Moran wrote.

This leak was NOT supposed to come out. I heard about it through a little birdy Monday and was told I COULD NOT report on it, but some bon mots are too tasty to pass up and apparently Moran could not resist the image of the president, cussing, in reference to resident Man In Constant State of Mental Breakdown Kanye West. Maybe he was mad at how Ye was representing his adopted home state of Illinois?

Kanye went on Jay Leno’s show Monday night to apologize to Taylor Swift and for his behavior at the MTV Video Music Awards. West bumrushed the show that night when Swift won for best female video, grabbing the mic and announcing that Beyonce should have won for her video “Single Ladies.” Beyonce looked mortified and later let Swift finish her acceptance speech when Beyonce won for Video of the Year.

West became emotional when Leno asked him how his mother, Donda West, would have responded to his latest outburst. Donda West, as many of you know, died earlier last year.

From Huffington Post:

“So many celebrities, they never take the time off,” he said. “I’ve never taken the time off to really — you know, just music after music and tour after tour. I’m just ashamed that my hurt caused someone else’s hurt. My dream of what awards shows are supposed to be, ’cause, and I don’t try to justify it because I was just in the wrong. That’s period. But I need to, after this, take some time off and just analyze how I’m going to make it through the rest of this life, how I’m going to improve.”

Can we just have an intervention for the man, already? Like the entirety of hip hop and black people to just go, “Brah, put down the Henny. You’re ruining your life.” I sincerely hope he takes some time off and gets himself together.

28 thoughts on “And In Other News … The President Calls Kanye A Jackass

1. JJ says:

Am I the only one who didn’t view the whole Taylor Swift thing as that big a deal? When hasn’t Ye spoken out when he thought someone else should have won something and they didn’t. He’s pretty consistent. It was rude yes…but it was hardly the first time he was rude and wasn’t the most over the top of his outbursts.With that said he should take some time off. Obviously the man has many demons he has yet to tell with. He needs the time off, but I seriously beleive this being over hyped.

2. The President calls a jackass rapper a jackass. And?Maybe the incident is being overhyped, but no one can dispute that Kanye West engaged in some serious fuckery on Sunday night. Not only did he take attention away from the Michael Jackson tribute, he scared some poor little girl half to death. I’m leaving race out of this–I honestly don’t think plays a role. I just think ‘Ye had too much Henn and showed his ass again. Why shouldn’t the President have opinions about popular culture?

3. Scipio Africanus says:

JJ, I think you are the only one, because I would have jammed the moon man down his throat and told him he lies (see what I did there?) had I been Taylor Swift. The only way I would have been okay with it would be if Kanye had done it to someone who was of a more equal stature and maybe age to himself in the industry – maybe a Kelly Clarkson, or another rapper, or someone older than him. Not no little young gal from the country who’s happy to be winning her first award.

4. marci says:

ok..ok..ok….something is grating on my already shredded tuesday nerves…. and it’s not kanye.. who cares.. so.. let’s see…”Obama’s colorful remark was actually made in an off-the-record portion of the interview that was tweeted — and then deleted — by ABC News reporter Terry Moran."Pres. Obama just called Kanye West a ‘jackass’ for his outburst at VMAs when Taylor Swift won. Now THAT’S presidential," Moran wrote.Politico’s Michael Calderone has ABC’s statement apologizing for Moran’s journalistic breach.”seriously????……can i ask – at what point in this term will the president be fully respected??

5. Serenity says:

Did Joe Wilson tweet this too? I thought "Off the Record" meant just that. What’s next? Is someone gonna tweet that President Obama just blew up the bathroom and is strinking matches? They are doing this because the believe they can get away with it.

6. First: I need to ABC to find some reporters with journalist principles. He had no right to tweet that.Second: I need for him to stop watching TV and worry about some presidential stuff like the war and health care.Third: I like Leno, but he took it too far when he brought up Dr. West. It wasn’t necessary to remind Kanye that his mother is not here for him to talk to and seek advice from during this time of embarrassment for him.

7. JJ says:

@ Scipio Africanus It was an ashole thing to do…but the reaction doesn’t fit the crime. His career should be over as some are hollering…really?Really?And yes race – age – and looks play a role in this – he made the pretty young white girl cry – oh no!This isn’t even the WORST outburst kanye has had…give me a break…

8. Jaddadalos says:

@conni3Jay Leno asked the right question. It was a reflective question that someone needed to ask him. Not the "yes" people that surround him and tell him his shit is cute. Or who say, "Yea, just send the apology and it’ll be alright. Back to business as usual."I am surprised Jay Leno asked that question, but as an older man and someone who has encountered Kanye West before personally, it was the best question someone could have asked.And Kanye’s reaction??? The silence was telling. He was in a place where he listened and he really thought about it. It wasn’t an, "Aww. My mom isn’t here. Let me grieve." I believe he was really thinking about the question and was ashamed.I wish more questions of that depth and that incite that type of reflection would be asked on a regular basis… We’d be in a better place as a society… but there are so many "reasons" (corporate, political, personal interest BS…)- for actual journalists to keep the conversation at surface level or focused on certain segments of our society…

9. Scipio Africanus says:

JJ, I didn’t say anything about a career being over. You said you thought all this was overblown. I don’t think the reaction has been overblown at all, because his career is definitely *not* going to be over as a result of this. I think there’s a place and a way for extreme bragadoccio, shit-talking, challenges, etc. This wasn’t the way. He stepped over the line for this and I’m calling him out on it as well as anyone who wants to excuse his nonsense, like you are. It’s a pretty straightforward notion, I think.

10. @Jaddadalos You could see the difference and awkwardness of Kanye’s demeanor when he walked out. He was coming there to be humble. I knew he was going to ask that question. Leno did that to put him in his place; he did that to embarrass him. Using someone’s dead mother to shame them isn’t right. He could have done that backstage, but he didn’t.

11. swiv says:

it’s only about race because idiots make it so. unless, somehow all of the people who are calling kanye an POS on THIS SITE are white. people are mad because kanye is peice of crap. not because taylor swift is white.

12. Jaddadalos says:

@ conni3I just watched the segment on hulu. He was very contrite as he walked out. And even talking to Jay Leno he maintained that demeanor. I just don’t think that the intent was to "put him in his place" as you say. In my view, the tone was not an accusatory one or a biting attempt to further his shame and embarrassment. Even as he prefaced the question with "I had an opportunity to meet your mother years ago…" and praised her, I think Leno’s knowledge of Kanye’s relationship with his mom, plus his personal encounter with her, and then the situation and how Kanye was reacting to his own actions in that moment led to such a question. Perhaps he could have done it privately, but maybe that would have been more chastising in that moment. If it did make Kanye uncomfortable, that’s okay too. I just don’t think the tone and intent was to embarrass Kanye.It’s okay to be uncomfortable. It’s okay to ask difficult questions. More discomfort (especially for those whose lives are full of exorbitant forms of comfort and protection from "ugly" realities) could actually lead to more empathy.

13. Scipio Africanus says:

@swiv"do y’all really think his career is finished? i can’t see it."Not in the least. No one will be talking about this after maybe 2 weeks from now. Maybe 3.

14. yolanda says:

I do think that Kanye is deserving of criticism, yet at the same time I cannot willfully ignore the racial undertones of the situation. When he is being called the N-word and other such things on social networking sites, I have to look at the situation from that perspective as well. If he had said the same thing to a young man or a young black woman would anyone (other than black folks in the case of the latter) care and be "outraged"? Would his outburst be described as a "nigger moment" and his career be basically nonexistent?

15. David Wise says:

Is his career over? No. In trouble (i.e. going up in smoke), yes. Kanye always has a chance to rebuild his tattered reputation. I hope for his sake, he cleans up his act.

16. hidaya says:

It’s interesting how President Obama didnt call Congressman Wilson from SC, a jackass …. when Wilson called Obama a liar to his face!Obama didnt call those schools and parents jackasses who refused to play his national educational speech for their students…so why is he defaming kanye?????? … Read MoreMaybe, because Kanye is black? Not cool, Mr. President!

17. MJ says:

@hidayaHow do you know the president didn’t call Wilson a jackass? Or how do you know he didn’t say something negative about the ignorant parents? Because there’s not leaked audio.If it weren’t for the leaked audio you would not have known what the president said about Kanye. And if he were asked "on the record", the President would have been a lot more diplomatic about it.Don’t assume that just because you didn’t hear Obama say anything negative about Wilson (or ignorant parents) that he kept his mouth shut about it.

18. dkan71 says:

@Hidaya…that comment is so out of context it’s almost due for a ‘ho sit down!’ Almost. But I would never say anything like that on the record.

19. Ace says:

Sent Michael Jackson’s family a note. Apologized for saying the white high school graduate cop "acted stupidly". I do not believe Obama called Kanye West a jack ass. What knaye did was wrong, but let’s face it, when it comes to white people he has more courage to speak out against what "he" think is wrong than Barack could ever have. Barack is a "chicken george’, he wouldn’t "ever" call a white person a name without apologizing, but it ain’t nothing for a bi-racial dude to put down a Black man publically. Kanye was wrong, but just like Obama had the courage to step to a "brother" he should have had the courage to step to the police department and that white congressman. Istead you got women Rosa Parks age writing letters to defend your punk ass. Do us a favor "Chicken George" step down!!!!

20. evelyn says:

I am of the belief that no black person, president or not, should every call another black person out of their name in front of mixed company. You will never catch a Jewish person every say anything negative about another Jewis person. When are we as a people going to start acting like we care about each other and stop looking for other people’s verifications.