MediaSnob

Google Stalking Carlos Watson: Live With Carlos Watson Canceled?

I’m hearing murmurs from sources that Carlos Watson’s 11 a.m. MSNBC show might be no more! What’s the haps? Anyone else hearing this? Will do some digging to see if that’s true.

Carlos is also behind the Web site The Stimulist. If this story is true this is a major bummer. First my Uncle Rolly Rolls gets no show from CNN (but luckily Roland Martin will be getting his own shot at a political news gig on TV One this fall), and now this! What’s it gotta take for a person of color, black or otherwise to get and keep a news show on the air?

13 thoughts on “Google Stalking Carlos Watson: Live With Carlos Watson Canceled?

1. aaron says:

"What’s it gotta take for a person of color, black or otherwise to get and keep a news show on the air?"I cannot give you an answer for other people of color, but perhaps the hapless Carlos could do a better job of hosting. Isn’t this the same guy that offered that "socialism" was the new "N-word"? Go to newsbusters.org for some fun examples of his leftist interpretations. Why can’t he just be a host, instead of an activist?

2. TiredOfTheHypocrisy says:

"Why can’t he just be a host, instead of an activist?"Point us to the sites where your have expressed the same opinion about Beck, OReily, Limpballs, Hannity, etc?As by the way, there is nothing worng with the idea that "socialism" IS the new "N-word". Just why do you imagine that the word "socialism" is used so much in reference the the BLACK guy who is in the WH?Get real, for God’s sake.

3. TiredOfTheHypocrisy says:

4. aaron says:

Socialism, sir, is used so much in reference to the guy in the WH because he has displayed that clearly. He told a plumber in Ohio that he wantted to spread the wealth around. What else do you call it? Also, I consider myself a conservative, but I couldn’t care less what color this guy is. I care about my country. Also, there are plenty of white socialists.Finally, I don’t believe that I was referring to other hosts, Beck, Hannity, et. al, I was referring to Watson, so why bring them up? I expect your next post to bring up Bush, since that is the only way some liberals "debate" — instead of answering a question, they answer like a nine-year-old: "Well, what about Bush?!?" Wah, wah, stay on toic.You, my friend, are the one that needs to "get real." And I’m not really even sure what that means…

5. James R. says:

The screams of "socialism" would possibly have meaning if the word HAD any meaning in this country.But, due to GOP destruction of the school system in this country since Reagan, the fact is NO ONE can define the word socialism in America. Giving government money to banks, private contractors and the AIG, as Bush did, is NOT socialism somehow but trying to make sure EVERY AMERICAN has healthcare and is health is?Glenn Beck regularly lumps socialism, communism and fascism into the same camp when he weaps and tears out his hair on either the radio or tv. Yet that is akin to calling the Crips & Bloods the "same team".This country has had corporate welfare since WWII and rolled up the "social safety net" that even Ike thought was necessary for a good America. Unless something is done this will all end in madness

6. Sam says:

I like Carlos and enjoy watching him on MSNBC every day. I have a pretty good idea, though, of what it’s going to take for a black anchor to keep a show: Blacks should start watching. I can’t find empirical data on MSNBC’s demographics, other than age, but no black people I know or talk to watch cable news. Generalization on a relatively short sample, sure, but I think a survey would back me up.Of course, I’m not saying white people won’t watch blacks, but I do think it would make a huge difference. Whites voted in droves for Obama, but if blacks had stayed home on him the way they have historically, he would have had a much rougher go of it.The truth is, MSNBC has gone through several anchors the last six months; this isn’t a black thing. After David Gregory left for MTP, Dan Abrams hosted a show in that time slot. Then he got canned and David Shuster took the spot. Then David Shuster got tossed to dayside and now it’s Ed Schultz. And that’s a 6 p.m. show. Imagine how much more difficult it is to get consistent ratings in the a.m. slot when very few people watch, and definitely not MSNBC’s target demo of 25 to 54.I’m just glad Watson will still be on air.

7. aaron says:

JAMES:Socialism does have meaning, and what on earth does the GOP destruction pf schools have to do with it? Huh?Excellent point made about giving money to AIG, etc.SAM: Good point about MSLSD’s inability to keep anchors, particularly in the non-prime spots. How about Walter E. Williams as a host? Watson’s hindered in my eyes because he has no identity as a TV personality: Chris Matthews is a liberal, blue-collar Philly guy; Olbermann is, well, Olbermann; Joe Scarborough is a moderate Repub; Watson is, well, he has no identity politically, or in an entertainment sense.

8. Rena says:

what does it take?….marry a white woman…don’t act "ethnic"…kiss "the man’s" ass….there’s more but this box isn’t big enough.

9. aaron says:

Rena,You got problems. Your back must get tired from carrying the weight of the world around all the time.Why can’t anyone get the benefit of the doubt? You automatically assume he needs to marry a white chick? Sounds to me that you are the racist.

10. Lili says:

Just heard about Carlos, I find him very compelling and he was the only one on msnbc that I would/will watch. I agree, there was sothing wrong with him asking the question about "socialism the new N’word" everyone know that this is true. Also, he is one of the most intelligent and well spoken anchors black/white/whatever msn/cnn/etc. has seen. He will be truly missed and I will skip out on msnbc for now as well. Hope he goes to a place where he can be appreciated.

11. Cyrus says:

Sam, Just some friendly advice. You might want to be careful to compare a few to a many, on any demographic. As a black man who watches cable news, I’ve come across diverse groups that do or don’t stay news informed. Now, like you, there’s been statements from different industries that didn’t believe black people read novels, listen to rock or classical, travel oversees, and so on. Truth of the matter is that depending on what part of the US a person comes from and what community in a particular state that plays a part in determining preferences and possibilities for those preferences as much as someone’s personal likes and dislikes. Not calling you bigoted or what have you, just delivering a perspective.

12. Cyrus says:

I’m curious to know Carlos Watson’s failed ratings. They must have been seriously low. Too bad, he was a great host. The show had real debate between visiting pundits and politicians. And the program’s format was up to date.

13. DCBarrister says:

Carlos is just lost in the numbers. Since Obama’s election all the major cable outlets scrambled to get the so-called "handsome black man on da news" thing covered. With CNN out there pushing that somebody had to go, and MSNBC isn’t ready for a black man featured on their own show. You’ve got to be a white man, or in Rachel Maddow’s case, look like one to get a gig.Roland Martin is a straight up joke, he doesn’t even belong on cable access.