FashionSnob, PopCulturalist

Rihanna Channels Her Inner Grace Jones (NSFW)

If her music were half as interesting as these photos I might actually buy some of it.

Pop star Rihanna stripped it down and edged it up for Italian Vogue this month in a freaky-deaky, bondage themed photo spread including a topless, sparkly pasty shot. You know? Just cause. Of course, like most starlets there are already nekkid pictures of her floating around on the interwebs, so that makes these shots a little less startling, but as Granny Snob would say, “Use it while you got it!” Or at least that was her defense of me to my mom when I wanted to wear a white denim miniskirt at 16.

I did wear my miniskirt, but, alas, male attention still made me highly uncomfortable at that age, so the skirt was retired almost as quickly as it was initially purchased.

Rihanna, obviously, is all too comfortable with the male gaze, otherwise she wouldn’t be modeling in the finest of fetish gear here. It sort of reminds me of Beyonce’s one metal glove, but Rihanna decided to take that glove and go all the way with its kinky promises.

I like high fashion editorial as an art form, so I actually liked these pictures as they are meant to freak you out and turn you on at the same time. But they also can be read as “Home Girl, You Are Trying Too Hard.” I mean, nothing says revenge like “look how great my rack is in these pasties and may you never, ever touch them again,” but … you all know what I mean. You basically can’t be anymore of the antithesis of Beyonce than this when you go the partial Monty, dead demented torture doll, dominatrix style.

Who wants to be a slave to this rhythm?

17 thoughts on “Rihanna Channels Her Inner Grace Jones (NSFW)

1. d says:

I have to admit that I love those boots and the dress is she is wearing while riding the horsey. It’s a horsey, right? Anyway, I’m not sure about the photoshop job on her boobs. IMO, they aren’t hanging naturally, but I don’t think she has implants.a WHITE denim skirt, Danielle? Weren’t you worried about attracting stains and dirt in addition to looks from the opposite sex?

2. La Morena says:

I don’t know….. These pictures did nothing for me. They didn’t interest me, intrigue me, fascinate me, nothing. It just looked like Rihanna in avant garde clothing trying to be provocative. Oh well.

3. SupernoVa says:

I think she looks great! But I also think that she is young and still deciding on who she really is. Don’t you remember when you went through that weird stage where everytime you walked out of the bathroom your parents were like: gurl what chu got own!! go back and try again! lolol (he he, I do). Anyway, she will figure it out one way or the other.

4. The Black Prophet says:

Wasn’t she like the Cover Girl? Child needs "attention". Chris Brown may have wasted his career on a skeeza like that.

5. bdsista says:

LOVE it!! Makes me miss Helmut Newton. I especially love the fan back shoes on the doggy crawl picture. I think she and Grace should do a layout together. I find that when singers are willing to take risks on edgy fashion that there is more creativity that may transcend to the music. But I might be too hopeful, but like the layout.

6. Tamara says:

This is a photoshoot……………………………for edginess; respect doesn’t exist here. This is ‘art’.I think she looks wonderful. She could be a great model.She isn’t the best singer (I can trump her anyday and I can’t even sing well).She isn’t the best performer (i.e. dancer, engaging the crowd, etc.).But there have been many a ‘artist’ in the past who got by on looks and little talent and still somehow stayed relevant. She’s gorgeous and I’m no fan of her work, but I don’t hate her. However I do wish she’d at least work on her stage presence (i.e. try and not look so ‘bored’). LOL

7. I don't see how this is bondage inspired. To me, it looks couture with a slight bit of fetish (mostly because of the stockings.) As far as her being a talented model. I wouldn't go there. She is a mediocre model with an excellent photographer. Except for the cover, her eyes just don't seem to connect. She poses her body well, but seriously those were not hard poses! This is just another Rhianna trick: above average material and lots of money makes you look like a superstar.