The Snob

Last Day In Brooklyn, Last Day In New York

Monday I was sitting in Aida’s Cafe in Bed Stuy at Norstrand Ave. and Halsey St. working with some of the friendliest people. The owner is delightful and so are the other customers who have been calling me Miss St. Louis since they relized I wasn’t from here. And who said New Yorkers were mean? Such a malicious lie. Aside from some subway workers, everyone has been super nice to me … even if it’s dead obvious to every native New Yorker that I am not from here. Having “I’m Not From Here” tattooed somewhere on my person has been both good and bad, but so far good has won.

My press n’ curl, which NY’s heat happily murdered, has now been beautifully transformed into Sengelese twists by one of Brooklyn’s finest hair masters, Ms. Betty of Concepts Salon on Rogers Ave. and Maple. My friend Sabrina (and faithful Snob reader) took me on a tour of downtown Brooklyn and to the promanade. We went to a flea market. I found some gaw-geous earrings and nearly lost my bag of souveniers from Junior’s Restaurant.

Before that I had dinner at Junior’s with my friend Jada where I had the world’s greatest waiter, who could tell what I wanted just from a raise of my eyebrow. Jada was my ace the whole week, being my dinner date three times and going to a party with a ton of black accountants I was invited to.

Here are some final photos from my time in NYC.

Mediaite’s Rachel Sklar and myself at their office. This was during the day when New York killed my hair. (And clothes. And everything else. I was a human damp rag.)

Here is my friend (and Black Snob reader loyalist) Jada P., also known as one of the best folks in the Bronx. He was my “man-friend” who escorted me to a fun party at Analia that we went to with nothing but black accountants and their friends.

Jada and I also met up at Junior’s Restaurant in Brooklyn for dinner. I was overwhelmed by Junior’s insane desert menu. Of course, I ended up having the cheesecake.

Jada, that copycat, had the same. I don’t care what he says, in this photo, ET is actually giving the world the finger.

The next day I met up for lunch with Sabrina W. at Junior’s (again) for brunch/lunch/breakfast, then walked around downtown Brooklyn.

10 thoughts on “Last Day In Brooklyn, Last Day In New York

1. Scipio Africanus says:

The I’m Not From Here thing isn’t a big deal. Brooklyn lists "Transplant" as an ethnic-origin option on all it’s official documents. We’re fighting for our own seat on the City Council and for 5th Avenue in Park Slope to be renamed "Transplant Way".

2. SterlingRose says:

Cutie patootie! Look at you rockin’ the two strand twist. Love it, love it. Long time lurker, first time commenter. I think you and your blog are awesome. Thanks for sharing your bite of the Big Apple.

3. polticallyincorrect says:

Some of the transit workers are very lazy. I would have passed on Juniors though. You were in NYC, try some of the ethnic restaurants.

4. Sabrina says:

Hey sweetheart!! Thanks for the shout out. So glad we could reconnect again. Loved showing you around my beloved Brooklyn. I am so looking forward to rocking that dress and earrings I found at that flea market. We are definitely shopping soul mates. For real though!!! Three nights with Jada huh? Hmmmmmmm. Sounds like a show, a song or something. Anyway, I’m going to have to speak to him about that T-shirt though. It is so E.T. flipping the bird.BTW LADIES MR. JADA (AS I LIKE TO CALL HIM) IS SINGLE!!! That right I put you blast Jada. It’s either that or submitting your name to Essence. Love ya.

5. Davey Crockett says:

First time commenter, long time reader.Yeah, I generally loved New York too, except for the Transit Workers who seemed unnecessarily rude with a ridiculous amount of attitude.

6. BluTopaz says:

Hey Halsey St., you were about 15 minutes away from my crib———formerly do or die Bed Stuy, now it’s Bed Stuy Let’s Gentrifyyeah the MTA workers; they made it a felony to attack the transit workers cause so many people want to slap the daylights out of so many of them