EntertainmentSnob, MediaSnob

Wendy Williams Quits Radio, to Torture Us On BET Now

From the New York Times‘ Arts Beat:

For months, fans of Wendy Williams have wondered how the boisterous broadcaster would handle the demands of hosting a radio program and a television talk show. Now they have their answer: on Wednesday night, Ms. Williams said that she would leave her daily radio show, “The Wendy Williams Experience,” at the end of the month.

In a news release, Ms. Williams said that she would depart the show, which has been broadcast since 2002 on the New York radio station WBLS 107.5 and is syndicated nationally, after the July 31 show to focus on her television series, “The Wendy Williams Show.” In a statement, Ms. Williams said she was “blessed to have a broadcast home” on New York radio, adding: “My hope is that you will do your best to find me on your remote so I can continue to entertain and inform you each and every day.” (Update: Video of Ms. Williams announcing her departure from radio on her television show can be found here.)

17 thoughts on “Wendy Williams Quits Radio, to Torture Us On BET Now

1. Monie says:

I think Wendy is making a mistake giving up her day job at ‘BLS. Her show seems kinda shaky at the moment.And BTW, her show airs on the local NBC station here. Is it on BET too? I don’t have cable.

2. Court says:

It sounds like a mistake to me too, but then again I thought Tyra’s show was on a slow death march from the very beginning and she seems to be doing fine.

3. pnc says:

I think Wendy Williams adds something interesting and fresh to talk tv. I’ve heard of her prior to the show, but I don’t listen to radio. I think she’s delightful. She’s certainly not the run-of-the-mill black woman you see in broadcasting everyday. I think her show will be a hit. She doesn’t pretend to do anything other than gossip tv and I find it refreshing. I hate when folks feel ‘the news’ is somehow superior to shows like hers…as if cable ‘news’ (CNN, MSNBC, FOX) isn’t 24/7 ‘celebrity gossip.’ Real news died a long time ago.

4. Layo G says:

ummmm, her show is terrible!!! loved her on radio, when i wanted to listen to mindless none-important things…..but she does NOT translate well on tv…..bad bad bad idea!!! i mean really, how many people really think her show will be a success?!?!?but then again, good luck to her!!! i really do wish her well

5. polticallyincorrect says:

I like her show but she has a face for radio. Not all TV hosts are beautiful, but to look like a drag queen will be another obstacle for her.

6. The A says:

heloo 911?Ah, yes, I’d like to report a threadjack… Yes, uh huh, uh huh that’s right S-N-O-B dot com.Nah, I have no idea what it says, too long to readcan you send someone out immediately? Great thanks….

7. How u doo’n?I love Wendy, her accent (reminds me of my mother’s) her boobs (definitely bigger than Mom’s) and here style. Can’t put my finger on it, but the shows less pretense than "The View." PS I got the impression your boy friend TJ Holmes was pissed he had to report on this nonsensical story re these anus Cambridge Kops and Obama/Gates. It was like he was saying to my favorite example of how we miss Cronkite, Rick Sanchez: "Yeah, f-u…can we please move on to the Honduras thing?"

8. I kinda like the Wendy Williams show. Ive never caught her radio show, but the TV one is facining cause shes such a manic mess! Whoooo-hoooo! Its like watching a train wrect in slo-mo, lol.L

9. I’ve been listening to Wendy and a fan of hers since 1989. I literally grew up listening to her on the radio. I’m really sad she’s leaving the radio gig, because it is so much personal and funnier and scandalous than her TV show. I like the "scandalousity" of her radio show. I think one of the reasons she elected to leave is because she’s been having beef with WBLS for the past year since her husband was accused of sexually harassing an employee and they fired her radio show staff. I enjoy the television show. I can kick my feet up at bedtme and watch it on BET. I enjoy her guests and the silliness of it. It’s what I enjoy. I wish her all the luck and I can’t wait to see her bio pic whenever it is released.Also, I’m shocked and saddened by E. Lynn Harris’ death. I had no idea he was sick.

10. Vcat says:

Actually….rumor has been around for a little bit that the station was not going to renew Wendy’s contract. In 2008, the person who booked guest on the show sued her, her husband, and the radio station for sexual harassment. The radio station punished Wendy by making her take a "vacation" for a week and scaling her show back an hour (in NY she was 2-7pm, she got chopped back to 2-6). Then, a few months later, the radio station settled with the booker, fired Wendy’s side kick and left her solo.It just so happened that Wendy’s tv show got picked up so now she can spin the end of her contract as "leaving radio for tv".

11. Denise says:

I’m returning home in a few weeks after living overseas for 4 years. One of the things I loved about my afternoon commute was the Wendy Williams Experience, I’m sad that I won’t get to hear her show when I return. I wish her the best but I doubt I’ll follow to BET.

12. LS says:

I am a big listener of talk radio and I never thought that I would like The Wendy Williams Show. When I moved to L.A. I started to listen here and there because Charlemagne was pretty funny. When he left so did I for a while, but as time went on I began to tolerate Wendy on her own, then came to enjoy her show as it became part of my work day. Now that her show has became part of my work routine, I really can say that I will miss the show and advice hour especially. I am glad that she has what she was looking for with the TV show and I hope she stays around for years to come.PS- Does anyone know where to find past shows online?

13. Daniel says:

New essay "The Gates Affair:Why We Care" yours to publishDear readers and webmasters, Author Daniel Bruno Sanz has written an essay about Gatesgate. We encourage its publication and distribution. Regards, Navas S. "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." – 4th Amendment to the The Constitution of the United States of America