EntertainmentSnob, PopCulturalist

(Left to right) Wentworth Miller, Derek Luke, Daniel Henney, Stephanie Jacobsen and Harry J. LennixHere’s to hoping that won’t happen!

The Black Snob enjoys keeping tabs on all minority actors, mostly because I’m just happy when one of them gets a regular paycheck. I’m even more happy when it’s someone I like (Daniel Henney or Derek Luke) versus someone I can’t stand (Taye Diggs!), but am happy for their employment anyway. Unfortunately (or should I say “as usual”), there aren’t many new roles for black actresses on the major networks. If you’re a sister and you’re on TV it’s because you got rehired from your old job (talking to you, Chandra Wilson and S. Epatha Merkerson). Everyone else is SOL. Hope you get some guest spots.

That said, this fall a lot of new shows will premiere with black, Latino, Asian and lots of biracial cast members. (Although the biracial people almost never get to BE biracial — *cough* Mark-Paul Gosselaar is half Indonesian! *cough* — tis America, you are what you look the most like.) Here’s the rundown of who’s who on what’s what.

Someone decided it was a good idea to give Daryl “Chill” Mitchell and former football star Michael Strahan a show. Obviously that someone knows how much I love Strahan and his gapped tooth, but will the show be any good? Does Strahan have comedic chops? Will “The Funny” be there? It’s got CCH Pounder! Is she funny?

Actor Derek Luke (mmm … Derek Luke) stars in NBC drama “Trauma” along with Aimee Garcia and the beautiful Nigerian Enuka Okuma will be in the premiere episode. Her last notable role was a recurring part on FOX’s “24” last season. I hope to see her in more things. I thought she did great with what little she had to work with on “24” being the girlfriend of a terrorist.

Comedic actress Yvette Nicole Brown has landed in a secondary role on NBC’s new comedy Community about community college and no one still knows what the fate of the CW’s cancelled The Game is. There’s still talk of it moving to BET but nothing is set in stone.

My favorite incognegro Wentworth Miller is doing a one-off, season opener for Law & Order SVU that could materialize into something more regular depending on how that goes. (Please be something more regular!) Check out the preview! He totally has hair now. Maybe he’ll let it get all longish and pretty boy curly/wavy again.

The medical NBC drama Mercy has a substantial minority cast, starring Delroy Lindo, Guillermo Diaz and Jamie Lee Kirchner. Like TNT’s Jada Pinkett-Smith show Hawthorne, Mercy is about the lives of nurses.

LL Cool J will star in the spin-off of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles on CBS. I didn’t watch the original version of this show and I’m not one of the ladies who love Cool James (it’s more of a like), so ya’ll are just going to have to let me know how that one turns out. Kidding. I’ll watch the premiere and give a review!

Stephanie Jacobsen (last seen possibly getting shot in the back on Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and being bad ass on Battlestar Galactica: Razor) will somehow be toning it down for the CW’s highly unnecessary reboot of Melrose Place. (There are officially NO NEW IDEAS.) I doubt she’ll be playing a part-Asian character because she just looks generally “exotic” and not obviously “Asian.” (She’s the Wentworth Miller of Asians! Like Miller who is a little bit of everything plus a dollop of the Negro, Jacobsen is Portuguese-Chinese-Norwegian-English. Who knew?)

Canadian actress Jessica Lucas will be joining Jacobsen on Melrose. You last saw her in Cloverfield, Drag Me to Hell and CSI. She’s Haitian and Pakistani. (I wonder how you could blend traditional Haitian and Pakistani food? Could you open a restaurant featuring that fusion?)

Freed from South Korean soap operas (finally), Asian-American, incredibly good looking man, Daniel Henney has returned to the motherland and is starring in the medical drama Three Rivers. The show also stars Justina Machado who’s done stints on ER and Ugly Betty in the past.

In other “I didn’t know that person was Asian” news: Lost’s Reiko Aylesworth has joined the cast of SyFy’s Stargate Universe. She’ll be playing actress Ming-Na Wen’s life-partner on the show. In other Asians playing Asians news … Ming-Na has a JOB!?!? Good for her!

Rochelle Aytes gets a job on ABC’s The Forgotten, a detective show starring Christian Slater. She’s had a slew of guest work and small roles, but nothing substantial. This will be her first regular, full-time J-O-B if the show lasts past six episodes.

Lindsay Price, the Hapa who is going to keep taking jobs and killing TV shows until they tell her to stop, is starring in bewitching comedy Eastwick on ABC with Rebecca Romijn (forever Mystique to me). Shows Lindsay has seen die while she attempted to get a paycheck on them — Coupling, Pepper Dennis (Romijn’s other starring vehicle) and Lipstick Jungle.

Disney dude Corbin Bleu will be on the CW’s fashion model show The Beautiful Life playing Isaac. You probably know him from EVERYTHING DISNEY HAS MADE since 2004. The House of Mouse kept mop top busy on everything from Hannah Montana from the High School Musical series.

As for people who’ve managed to keep their jobs from last season (in no particular order): Jesse L. Martin (The Philanthropist), Michael K. Williams (The Philanthropist), Jada Pinkett-Smith (Hawthorne), Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine), Regina King (Southland), Shemar Moore (Criminal Minds), America Ferrera (Ugly Betty), Vanessa Williams (Ugly Betty), Ana Ortiz (Ugly Betty), Tony Plana (Ugly Betty), Mark Indelicato (Ugly Betty), Harry J. Lennix (Dollhouse), Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse), Laurence Fishbourne (CSI), Archie Kao (CSI), Anthony Anderson (Law & Order), S. Epatha Merkerson (Law & Order), Alana de la Garza (Law & Order), Tamara Tunie (Law & Order SVU), Ice-T (Law & Order SVU), B.D. Wong (Law & Order SVU), Chandra Wilson (Grey’s Anatomy), Sandra Oh (Grey’s Anatomy), James Pickens Jr. (Grey’s Anatomy), Miguel Sandoval (Medium), Tamara Taylor (Bones), Rashida Jones (Parks & Recreation), Audra MacDonald (Private Practice), Taye Diggs (Private Practice), Mindy Kaling (The Office), Oscar Nunez (The Office), Craig Robinson (The Office), Leslie David Parker (The Office), Navi Rawat (Numb3rs), Alimi Ballard (Numb3rs), Sophina Brown (Numb3rs), Tim Kang (The Mentalist), Tyra Banks (ANTM), Cote de Pablo (NCIS), Donald Fasion (Scrubs), Judy Reyes (Scrubs), Aloma Wright (Scrubs), Adam Rodriguez (CSI: Miami), Sendhil Ramamurthy (Heroes), Masi Oka (Heroes), James Kyson Lee (Heroes), Adrian Pasdar (Heroes), Dania Ramirez (Heroes), Noah Gray-Cabey (Heroes), Kristen Ariza (Lie To Me), Tracy Morgan (30 Rock), Keith Powell (30 Rock), Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Raising the Bar), Gloria Rueben (Raising the Bar), J. August Richards (Raising the Bar), Lorraine Toussaint (Saving Grace), Laura San Giacomo (Saving Grace), Gregory Cruz (Saving Grace), Corey Reynolds (The Closer), Raymond Cruz (The Closer), Michael Paul Chan (The Closer), Robert Gossett (The Closer), Aldis Hodge (Leverage) and probably a few more I’ve forgotten.

27 thoughts on “Your Favorite Minority Actors Get Jobs In the Fall (Only To Probably Lose Them When They Get Cancelled)

1. Lara says:

Actually, Noah Gray-Cabey lost his job as a regular on Heroes after Season 2 (he has guest-starred a few times since then), and while Dania Ramirez’s current status is unknown, considering she was last seen in episode 3×11 and there’s nothing concerning her character in the news or spoilers, I doubt she will still work on the show next season. Actually, fandom isn’t very certain about Sendhil Ramamurthy’s status either.Heroes used to be a lot better at this whole diversity thing.

@ LaraI figured some of those folks probably weren’t as gainfully employed as their IMDB pages said. But I knew enough folks who watched the shows would clear things up for me. Thanks.

3. Someone else who needs to be on your radar, because she’s that good, is British actress Nikki Amuka-Bird.http://iamatvjunkie.typepad.com/i_am_a_tv_junkie_a_blog_f/nikki_amukabird/She was a guest on the second series of Torchwood in a great episode called Sleeper, and she’s upcoming in BBC and BBC America’s Survivors.Also, the pilot of The Number One Ladies Detective Agency. And, while I’m going on about British actors of color, Paterson Joseph, who many of you might know from Peep Show on UK’s Channel 4 and who should have been the next Doctor Who. http://iamatvjunkie.typepad.com/i_am_a_tv_junkie_a_blog_f/patterson_joseph/They went with a kid, instead. I’m still angry about that.Oh, and of course, Freema Agyeman, who’s currently on Law & Order UK and was the Doc’s companion in series three.Okay, I’m done. Big Brit TV fan here.

4. polticallyincorrect says:

My favorite incognegro Wentworth Miller is doing a one-off, season opener for Law & Order SVU Thank You Jesus!!!!! My favorite show and the hottest man in one place.

5. Lisa J says:

Speaking of black actors you don’t like and their gigs, I was watching an episode of the documentary series, Independent Lens, on PBS the other day, and who of all people was the host who did the little introductory blurb, but Senor Baby Wipes himself! I almost fell out the bed. It sort of irritated me the first few mins of the documentary seeing him, and he never popped up again after. See I used to like his butt but after seeing his cro-magnon ideas on here, I quake a little when I see him. And I just realized on upmteenth viewing of the Jacksons shortly after MJ’s death, that he played, I think Tito in the movie. That was a little jarring too.

6. Lisa J says:

@ Joe Bua, do you seriously think that in a country with the racial legacy of Great Britain, with a black population of 2% was really going to make a British icon black? I think not. It would be nice, but I’m not holding my breath. BTW, despite Paterson Joseph’s great acting chops he wasn’t in the running with the producers. It was the book makers that put him on the list ( I read Dr. Who Mag every month and they said with one or two exceptions, not including paterson, the names circulated in the press were never under consideration.) I look forward to Matt Smith, I trust Russell T. Davis and Steven Moffat loads, and if he was good enough for them… Plus they said they wanted to go older but Matt blew them away in his audition. I’d prefer older but hey,the character is over 900 years old, so it is just a facade 🙂 Oh and I agree, Freema rocks, hope to see her back on Who again, can’t wait till (if) BBC America shows L&O UK. Also loved the actress, whose name I am blanking on, who was inthe X-mas special (so pretty, as is Freema). Personally, I’m just glad that Dr. Who has black folks, and Indian and Far East Asian folks, in it now on a regular basis who are not strongmen silent guards who seem to have no brain power, which with a few exeptions, was all they showed in the classic series.

7. Lisa J says:

Oh, hope I didn’t sound harsh Joe, I’m a 20+ year Whovian, so I get a little over passionate on the topic. 🙂

8. peachee1 says:

Le’ts not forget Larenze Tate & Daniel Sunjata in Rescue Me…hot, hot, hot. Anna Deavere Smith in Nurse Jackie. And while on the subject of nurse/med shows, I really, really wanted to like Hawthorne but I can’t do it. What ER would allow anyone to so obviously & blatantly break all the rules, be so all-up-in-folks-business, challenge every Dr on staff and still keep her job? I just can’t buy it. At least Nurse Jackie keeps her madness secret. Sorry Jada, I tried to support a sista. Maybe next time.

9. kaliber says:

is it wrong of me to have a cougar (ok, ‘puma’) crush on corbin bleu? i totally just googled the start date of that (presumably awful) show he’s going to be on in september and marked it on my calendar.

10. Jenn says:

@ Peachee1 – You are dead right about HawthoRNe…oh Jada, no Jada. I have watched 2 episodes and believe me it was beyond difficult. The comparsion to the stellar Nurse Jackie is spot on and we should not forget Haaz Saliman (movie – "The Visitor")as "Mo Mo" on the show. He is super sexy! @ Snob- I am with you 200% about Derek Luke and Daniel Henney! Derek was so manly in "Catch a Fire" and "Miracle at St. Anna." Whoa! Daniel, my my my my my. Stunning!!!

11. Serafina says:

Wentworth and Mark will never be considered minorities by Hollywood’s standards. So, they’ll never have problems getting jobs. Im tired of black actors being seing as stage fillers and occasional commentators on tv. But some of these shows may make me actually plug my set up again to watch this summer. Black actors are just as good as they’re caucasian counterparts.When I tell folks that Jessica Szohr from Gossip Girl is bi-racial, they’re in denial. So its good to see her on the tube. I must be one of the few people that actually like Taye. That being said I want to have 5 of Daniel Henney’s love children.

12. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.Sarahttp://smallbusinessgrant.info

13. Sandy Beach says:

I didn't want to like the NCIS spin-off but it is pretty good and he gets to do some VERY bad-ass things on the show and he's also NOT the resident 'hard Negro' like on so many other shows cough Dexter cough. I saw the new Dr. Who Jesus and Mary I thought the LAST guy was hella ugly!! He makes David look like Brad Pitt too bad Chris left so early I watched just for him anyhoo my new love Daniel Dae Kim is going to be a Hawaii 5-0 reboot and I can't wait and yeah I tried to like Hawthorne but meh it's just not that good Trauma is far superior. Hatian Pakanstani food lordy my mouth is burning just thinking of the spiceness