Sometimes enough is enough, especially when it comes to Pat Buchanan
Because as long as Pat Buchanan is allowed to shout his bitter old white man bullshit on this network, I will not watch. I am done with MSNBC. Enjoy this video–or, you know, not–because I’m not posting anything else from this network until Pat Buchanan is handed his hood and robe and shown the door.
More after the jump.
Last night on the Rachel Maddow Show, Uncle Pat was allowed to declare that white men were soley responsible for the architecture of this country:
“White men were 100% of the people that wrote the Constitution, 100% of the people that signed the Declaration of Independence, 100% of the people who died at Gettysburg and Vicksburg, probably close to 100% of the people who died at Normandy. This has been a country built basically by white folks, who were 90% of the nation in 1960 when I was growing up and the other 10% were African-Americans who had been discriminated against. That’s why.”
This is a country basically built by white folks. But for some reason, Buchanan forgot to mention that this country was also built by the Africans those white folks shipped over to do the heavy lifting. And by the Natives that whites did their best to wipe from the land. And by the Asians who built the railroads, and by the hispanics who, now as in our country’s history, tended our fields. But it is the white man who orchestrated the great symphony of America–the white man who fought America’s wars and brought home victory.
White men have created life as we know it, and for that, we should be grateful. So, that ten percent of black folks who were brutally oppressed when Pat was growing up–they don’t amount to much. In fact, any contribution any person of color has made to the creation and progress of America has been rendered irrelevant by the sheer majesty of white men.
Watching this exchange–and I couldn’t watch it all, I was so furious–has led me to conclude that MSNBC is completely comfortable with giving a rabid racist a platform on which to spew his ancient racist rhetoric. I mean, dude compared Sotomayor with a fucking all-black track team. Because, you know, physical agility, like intellectual excellence, are encoded into the DNA of various races. Black men run fast; Latinas make spicy food and trouble; white men have superior brain power. God made it that way.
This breakup is going to hurt, because I really do love MSNBC (Morning Joe aside). I’ll miss Tamron Hall and my newest nerd crush, David Shuster. I’ll miss Keith Olbermann’s big head and his righteous, Rush-like bluster. And Rachel, my sweet, secret, sapphic sweetheart–I will miss her most of all. I know Rachel was trying to expose Buchanan for the biogted throwback that he is, but her tendency toward civilized discourse gave Buchanan the advantage. He was given permission–again–to attack Sonia Sotomayor for the crime of being a Latina woman. Pat Buchanan was given permission, by a major network, to legitimize and justify institutional racism. And that’s really pissing me off. If I wanted to hear this kind of poisoned rhetoric, I’d watch Fox News or visit some of my distant in-laws. I don’t need it from a network I considered to be above such nonsense.
So, goodbye, MSNBC. I know you’ll find other viewers to keep you warm at night–but I’ve gotta move on.
BabylonSista uses her blog, Confessions of a Cybernegress, as a way to distract her from the master’s thesis she’s been avoiding for the past year. She is a freelance writer and editor, a political junkie, and a serious music snob.