EntertainmentSnob, PopCulturalist

Dave Chappelle Emerges From Seclusion, Puts On Not-So-Secret Show

Dave Chappelle at Pioneer Square

“I didn’t know that I was still famous. Now I know,” Dave Chappelle.

Thousands of people showed up to hear Dave tell jokes in Portland, Ore. at 1 a.m. in the morning when he only expected about 200.

Story after the jump.

From the Associated Press via Huffington Post:

AP: PORTLAND, Ore. — Thousands of people who learned through text message, Twitter and word-of-mouth that comedian Dave Chappelle would hold a free show filled a downtown Portland square late Tuesday and early Wednesday.

Chappelle arrived at about 1 a.m. to a surge of camera phone-wielding fans. There was only problem – a small amplifier left the comic inaudible to most.

It’s not clear why Chappelle was in Portland, and what led him to Pioneer Courthouse Square.

“I’m not here for money,” he told the crowd.

Chappelle is best known for his sketch-comedy program that ran on Comedy Central. In May 2005, he walked away from a $50 million deal to continue the popular show.

Most people went to the square at the last minute, after receiving a text or other communication. Chappelle, who had no security or entourage, said he expected 200 people to gather – not the thousands that stood shoulder-to-shoulder.

Chappelle at one point announced that someone was going to retrieve a better sound system, and would return in 20 minutes. When the man came back, spectators fed power cords to the edges of the square to plug them in. But apparently there was no power.

Though the show fizzled, the mood remained festive and there were no arrests. Chappelle left the square shortly after 2 a.m.

8 thoughts on “Dave Chappelle Emerges From Seclusion, Puts On Not-So-Secret Show

1. DanielleHelp me out on this one…and any other sista posters that want to join in. Why is it that we continue to give Chappelle a pass for his coonery under the guise of sardonic, and thought provoking comedy. We made fun of black women, His disdain for black women was oblivious in his skits, Another member of the Asiatic Wife Club, that supposely loves their black mommas, but aint going marry anyone that looks are reminds them of her. Lets take a pause and think about this…why did Dave really walk off his show?

2. Andrea says:

I agree that Dave’s only use for Black women is as the butt of his misogynist jokes, but he’s off the air now, so I don’t care. What bothers me is that anyone, in this day and age, would feel it’s necessary to make note of the fact that the fans of a raunchy Black comedian didn’t get themselves arrested. Would this detail be worth mentioning if the comedian had been Jon Stewart?

3. marci says:

where does this sensitivity on one particular aspect of dc’s comedic observations and social commentary come from.. i never ever felt he was attacking me as a black woman… he certainly didn’t come across as a disdainful black woman hater when he met mother angelou… rather the opposite..& one may not approve of his marriage choice… but at least he can exercise that choice… i don’t fancy taking that step back…

4. Andrea says:

In his skits, if you’ve watched enough of them, you will notice that the love interest is usually White, Hispanic, Asian, or is part Black but can pass as one of the aforementioned. The crackhead, the ‘ho, the gold digger is ALWAYS unmistakably Black. I’m not saying his show wasn’t funny, because it was. No network in this country would offer a Black man $50M for a show that wasn’t, but that doesn’t change the fact that he very often portrayed Black women in a stereotypical/disparaging way. The positive moments were few and far between. And while I don’t appreciate his comic take on Black women, I agree that the show had more to offer than that, which is why I was never too "sensitive" to watch. As far as interracial dating and marriage go, I’m a big fan and don’t believe his having an Asian wife had anything to do with what he chose to put on the air. That was all him. The good as well as the bad and just plain ugly — he loves the n-word just a little too much for my tastes. But it’s a free country, for the most part, and he should be allowed to say what he wants, even if it offends. I wasn’t watching at gunpoint. No one was.

5. BluTopaz says:

@ Andrea: I don’t understand why the decision to not support any comedian for their type of comedy is considered "too sensitive"-were Black people being too sensitive about Don Imus’ comment? What about Jackie Mason every time he uses the word "shwartzer"? It’s not a matter of anyone being forced to watch, merely a question as to why is it always ok to portray Black women in this manner. And I am personally tired of everyone saying Black women are being hypersensitive about our images. And yeah, he said the word nigger like it was a noun, pronoun and verb. I

6. BluTopaz says:

meant to add, maybe that’s why he met with Angelou, to figure out where his mind was. What is it about a skit where a "safe" Black performer like Wayne Brady earned a little street cred by calling a Black prostitue "bitch" as the famous punchline.

7. Andrea says:

@BluTopaz: I was referring to marci’s comment, "where does this sensitivity on one particular aspect of dc’s comedic observations and social commentary come from." Nothing more.I don’t think anyone is "hypersensitive" when they feel offended by the offensive, especially when it is directed at them based on their gender, race or religion. Tens of thousands of our people have been lynched with the word "nigger" on the lips of their killers. It is not a humorous word to me, no matter who says it. And the Wayne Brady episode you mentioned was the first that came to mind when I wrote about dark skinned Black women being portrayed as whores. Of all the women on the planet earth we are portrayed in the worst possible light. And when Black men do it to us it’s impact is far worst, because many non-Blacks have never known any Black women personally and can’t help but assume Black men know us best. And Black men insulting Black women to non-Blacks doesn’t just happen in the media, it happens in everyday life. I suspect the purpose is to create/maintain a divide between Black women and non-Black men. I don’t know if that was Dave Chappelles’ reason, or any other Black man’s, only they can answer that. Frankly, whatever is wrong with the man’s psyche cannot be fixed by meeting with Dr. Angelou.But like I said, no one made me or anyone else watch his show.