He Said/She Said, MediaSnob, SportsSnob

What’s Serena’s Rear Got To Do With This?

“Super Genius” Jason WhitlockResident sports “Super Genius” Jason Whitlock made an attempt at “truth-tellin'” Monday by taking Serena Williams’ Wimbeldon win and using it as an excuse to rehash old mess about Williams being “overweight,” “a whiner,” “underachiever (!!!) and “like Paris Hilton (!!!!!!!!).”

He tries to save himself with the tired ol’ “You can call me unfair. You can even scream that I’m sexist …”

And all the people making excuses for Serena and rationalizing her failure to totally dominate women’s tennis are the very people uninterested in seeing women rise to a level of equality with men.

But we all know this is just code for “I’m about to say something so sexist that your head will pull a Linda Blair and pea soup will cover your monitors, but don’t bitch me out, ladies n’ gents! I’m just keepin’ it real … sexist!

Whitlock goes on to spend much of the column talking about Williams’ “pumpkin booty” versus a much more preferred “onion booty,” discounting her 11 grand slam wins even though they equal that of one of the greatest female players of all time, and basically calling her out as a loser despite her penchant for winning.

He does this all under the guise that he’s just trying to say that Serena could be a better and more famous tennis player than she is. OK. Fine. You’re not the first or last to make this statement. But did you have to hinge that argument on paragraphs like these?

Think about it. At 5-foot-9, 145 pounds, Serena would be unstoppable on the court, on the cover of every magazine still in circulation and downloaded on the Internet three times more often than Anna Kournikova.

Instead, Serena is arguably pushing 175 pounds, content playing hard only in the major tournaments, happy to be photographed on dates with pro athletes and proud to serve as a role model for women with oversized back packs.

BBWs — Big Booty Women — do not write me angry e-mails. I’m only knocking Serena’s back pack because it’s preventing her from reaching her full potential as an athletic icon. I am not fundamentally opposed to junk in the trunk, although my preference is a stuffed onion over an oozing pumpkin.

(A stuffed onion is a booty so round and tight that it brings tears to your eyes).

One. Why the obsession with her ass? That ass just won Wimbeldon. That ass has endorsements. That ass is insanely wealthy and famous. That ass is the most feared ass in tennis. Yet it is the target of your argument? Her looks? If only Serena looked better? If only she were less muscular and thinner? If only she were … she were … she were shaped like Anna Kournikova? I mean, you AT LEAST could have compared her to another black woman or her sister. But the no talent, tennis hack Kournikova who NEVER won a major? Who’s best known for just being tall, blonde and hot? Priorities Whitlock. Do you want Serena to dominate tennis or dominate you in your bedroom? Get over her ass. Seriously.

Two. Get used to the ass because it ain’t going anywhere. And I could be wrong, but I think more than a few folks like it just the way it is.

But the biggest offense is that he compares her to sex tape famous, fake hair shilling, richie rich, priveleged princess, Paris Oh My Fucking God Hilton.

Right now I’d put on Serena on par with Paris Hilton. I know that’s harsh. Serena’s accomplishments are far more substantive than Hilton’s. But Paris Hilton doesn’t have one discernible skill (that I can publish in this column without earning it an R rating). Hilton’s monumental overachievement is her accomplishment of becoming a celebrity.

Yet, you compared them anyway. Bravo, super genius!

What kills me the most about this article is that it claims that any detractors simply don’t want women’s tennis to succeed. You see? I’m the sexist in Whitlock’s eyes because I accept Serena for who she is and respect the choices she has made as a person and as an athlete. Because I judge her by her skill and do not hold her to superficial beauty standards or bemoan a tall, athletic Amazonian being around 160lbs …. which is NORMAL for someone that frickin’ tall. She’s not a supermodel. She is not an actress. She is not part of the “professional pretty class.” Her job is tennis and she kicks ass. You can complain that she may not kick enough ass for a plethora of reasons, but the minute you make the argument more about the outside and less about the inside you have lost the argument with me.

Sadly, I doubt Whitlock wrote this because he is a “fan” of Serena’s as he claims to be. More likely he is playing the role of drama king, trying to drum up some page hits for his column by saying some uncouth bastardish shit. Well, I say, let him have them, or let him have at it, ladies and gentleman. After you’re finished debating this on my blog, feel free to wander over to Whitlock’s and give him the comments he so deserves.

38 thoughts on “What’s Serena’s Rear Got To Do With This?

1. MsKitty says:

Ever notice that the men most likely to crack a mirror by looking at it are usually the first ones to criticize a woman’s appearance? I’m sure Serena is crying on boyfriend Common’s shoulder over what this jackass said…not.

@ MsKittyLOL @ "men most likely to crack a mirror." WHOO boy. I know, right? Like she, her 11 grand slams and hot boyfriend care about this crizzap. Puleaze!

3. WOW! I’m not a huge JWhit fan (call me crazy but I have this rule about NOT listening to sports journalist that look like they’ve NEVER left the comfort of their apartment and/or actually participated in the sport(s) they cover–sue me). I think he’s off base here. We should be praising her for having a fatty AND winning 11 Grand Slams! What black man in America would find any fault in that? Oh wait, Jason Whitlock would (*suspect*)…I agree with his premise that she’d be even BETTER if she lost a lil weight but 145lbs? Serena would look down right SICK at that weight. Her strength comes from her size. Tiger got better after he started lifting on the regular, it does help you play better and keep injuries down but Jason is just spliting hairs. She’s a champion, millionaire, good looking, AND baby got back. He’s tripping. Must be a slow sports day in Kansas City…@brwndrby

4. BrendaKay says:

Has Mr. "Super Genius" taken a look in the mirror lately? What sort of nerve does it take for a man with a hickey nut sized head (I’m not even gonna mention that landing strip of a forehead) plopped down on a dumpy couch potato body – to call a world class athlete overweight?Seriously, all those HoHo’s, Twinkies and Krispy Kreme donuts "Super Dumbass" has been shoving in his fat mouth have obviously rotted his pea sized brain. And you know damn good and well, the last time Jason got near a "stuffed onion" was at the local strip joint, when he was shoving dollar bills into her g-string.Please….

Looks play a significant role in women’s tennis. Wimbledon gives the prettiest gals center court. The most attractive players get the best endorsement contracts. They aren’t judge on their athletic ability as men are, sad to say. Years ago, Whitlock would have been called a "Male Chauvinist Pig." Hee, hee.

6. Skywalker says:

I guess I’m going to have to repeat myself on various blogs today:Just because Serena is an African American woman – more is expected of her? That’s not fair. Look at that Anna Kournikova or Martina Hingis, or Justinne Hennin – all them Williams’ peers but instead of critiques they get praised.I"m proud of BOTH Williams women for what they do for USA Tennis and African American Women athletes. I could care less how much she eats or weighs – Serena performs and honestly of an athlete in a sport that depends as much on looks, wealth and access (not to mention race) – she and her sister have done pretty darn well. And better than their American male counterparts (Andy Roddick isn’t that great and neither is James Blake). Rock on Girls and I got yall’s backs.

7. Lisa J says:

That fat bastard. What a nerve!!! I see NO FAT on that girl, none! I see muscles and a flat stomach. I cannot stand an ugly fat man who obviously has some issues with black women, despite being black himself, putting a BEAUTIFUL healthy super fit black woman like Serena down. Shoot, if more black women were in shape like her (myself included) we’d be so much healthier as a people. STFU and put another ho-ho in your mouth,, Whitlock. And the comments, he, or someone registered with his name, made on his column were truly sickening. What do you expect though from a house negro working for Fox, even if it is Fox sports. I hate that network. I even get irritated with myself for watching re-runs of Bernie Mac on the Fox regular tv channel.

8. OneChele says:

Size 16? Onion vs. Pumpkin booty? WTF? What does he mean she is not in shape? I defy him to play her and keep up for one set… ONE set. Okay, I’ve used up my capitalization allotment so I can say is – that is not journalism. That is hate-flavored crap spread on a dry, tasteless cracker.

9. Sierra says:

Tell ’em how you really feel BrendaKay! That "oozing pumpkin" just swept in and shook up south west London without missing a beat. Left those chignon wearing, snooty nosed, oh so privileged ones out in the cold trying to get a look in. And THIS is all he had to say? This guy would make the mirror commit suicide if it could, so he really needs to STFU.

10. The chick wins almost every tournament she plays in with that ass. You can call her lazy for not playing in enough tournaments to have a #1 seed, but the size of her butt is SO not the problem.The weight and appearance thing is a recurring theme for female athletes. Be thinner and you’ll be better. Gymnasts hear it. Runners hear it. Men are told to hit the weight room. Men are told to build muscle and stamina. Women are told to drop a few pounds and wear some makeup. Really? So the only way we can achieve parity with men’s sports is not to get more girls involved in sport, groom athletes into stars, and market in a way that doesn’t condescendingly pitch the sport as summer! family! fun! No, it’s to … look more like supermodels? The real problem is not the size of her ass, but her lack of desire to be Compton’s answer to Steffi Graf.

11. Is being without any journalistic integrity worth the money it pays? If he ever does look in a mirror, do you think Jason Ruckus will hate himself for not using his amazing ability to type for good? For not expressing his real opinions as apposed to what he thinks will sell?

12. Scott says:

Jason Whitlock played both high school and college football so he knows something about sports but maybe not so much women.

13. Natasha says:

I’m not a Serena fan (prefer Venus), but I read his article with the same annoyance with which I read the article about Michelle Obama’s posterior. Somehow commenting on black women’s bodies is the route the media has taken to reduce their significant accomplishments. WTH! I’m going with the idea that he simply was trying to drum up page views/readership.

14. mimi says:

LOL@ these comments. you all already took all the jokes I had ready 😦 Serena is a world class athlete regardless of size and I know it’s not relevant but serena’s body is WHOA! I”m sure it’s got universal mind control over common. Try again Jason!

15. Court says:

Ya’ll got me dying over here. I just don’t understand where he’s coming from, he’s like "I know she wins tons of titles and everything, but if she would just be more like Kournikova, an athlete who sucks donkey balls, then she’d be better. Oh and I know she’s nothing like Paris Hilton, but she’s JUST like Paris Hilton. What?I wouldn’t even waste my time on his page. He knows he’s being a taint on this one, no need for me to tell him.

16. David W says:

I love Whitlock because he does not fail at cracking me up on occasion. And he’s throwing out the tired arguments that have been thrown at the Williams sisters for years: If they just committed to tennis people would like them."One argument coming out now, with some weight to it, is this: if they committed to tennis…they’d be retired. These girls are in their late 20s..and still EMBARRASSING competition (Hi Dinara! Done crying yet?). Easing up their load and pacing themselves a: doesn’t lead to undue injuries as long as they keep in shape and b: doesn’t get you soured on your vocation.But I suspect we’ll see a determined Serena in the next few months – she has something to prove. And Dinara should be highly frightened the next time they meet on the court. Think Venus wiped the court with you? Venus didn’t have quite the motivation.

17. Some people just can’t give credit where credit is due!Another highlight of a black man dogging yet again our successful, ambitious and beautiful black women!

18. It seems that Mr. Whitlock worships a certain ideal that Serena couldn’t possibly (and shouldn’t/doesn’t have to) meet. His opinions may be based more racially than sexism (though the sexist element is definitely there). It appaers that Mr. Whitlock doesn’t like big butts and he cannot lie. The links to pictures below are telling.http://stateoftheline.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/jasonwhitlockgirloneacharm.jpghttp://blogs.pitch.com/plog/jason%20whitlock%20and%20big%20boobied%20friends.jpghttp://www.tonyskansascity.com/tonyskansascity/jasonwhitlockbunnies.jpghttp://www.cosellout.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/bunny_i2.jpg

19. That fool is engaging in black woman bashing which seems to be the preferred stance of many African American men as of late. They either hate that Michelle is the FLOTUS (Toure’s Martha’s Vineyard trash bin article) or dogging the current top US Tennis player (Gumby Whitlock) and there are plenty of other men all too ready to agree and add to the pile on the way DL Hugley did. I say leave all of these fools to their own devices. Serena does. These losers and their ilk will die out the sooner black women leave their pathetic carcasses to fend for themselves. I can’t wait.

20. melly says:

Ha! Whitlock is such a joke. It seems like his only skill is creating controversy. But since he’s really not that talented of a writer, he can’t even manage to bring any depth or logic to that either. As far as I’m concerned, he’s gained his fame by being the black guy people can look to to say something against a successful black athlete. Jason, if you’re reading (you do read, don’t you. Wouldn’t know it sometimes from your writing.), your tactics and your writing skills are tired. Please, go sit down and just hush.

21. B.Y. says:

I agree with most of what was said here and add this tidbit: If Venus or Serena was an only child, sports fans would be saying "Steffi who?" When you realize that each has had to fight for her share of titles with an equally genetically and mentally gifted player with whom she shares DNA one would not be so quick to judge as Whitlock has done without making mention of the obvious. Venus is why Serena isn’t the GOAT but together they’re accomplishments dwarf many of their contemporaries.

22. starrie says:

who is this person? sounds like another black guy who has problems with black women that would NEVER date a swollen pigface like himself…pffff….

23. Andrea says:

I have noticed, since high school, that AA men who hate themselves always feel it’s their right to take out that hatred on AA women, either physically or verbally. Why is that?Is it that without an AA woman they would not exist, and if they can’t be White (Hispanic, Asian, whatever) they’d rather not exist? I find it quite puzzling and deeply disturbing at the same time. But I am not surprised.

24. marci says:

i wonder what freud would say about this beastly, feral little man..his obsession with a woman’s physique is not the healthiest… the borderline fetishistic language..usage of food to describe bottoms in a way that creeps me out… (and i read the piece twice before commenting to make sure i was not being overly sensitive because of my love of serena…)”oozing pumpkin”?? oozing?? hmmnnn…. anyone think of a pumpkin ”oozing” lately??and ”A stuffed onion is a booty so round and tight”he has REALLY thought about this subject.. and a lot…and it’s a tad perverse…it would not surprise me for it to be revealed that this troll has a den in his house with pictures of women’s bottoms all over the walls..

25. Lady M says:

LMAO @ The A. Nah, I find that to be a very reasonable viewpoint. I don’t understand how Serena is overweight. How the hell is she overweight, when she’s hard muscle. That "oozing pumpkin" as this goon labels it, is all muscle. Has it ever occurred to him that maybe Serena and Anna are not the same body build?? And that muscle weighs more than fat? Serena could snap that girl in half, as stick thin as she is. I just don’t get why he’s criticizing her, because his comments really have no basis. @ Marci He’s got some major weirdness of food in describing women’s bodies/ asses… I agree with that. I mean, "oozing pumpkin" what the hell? That’s a new one. I’ve heard of apple and onion before. All the objectifying of black women just needs to stop. Hell, what’s next? watermelon? cantaloupe?

26. LaJane Galt says:

Just because Serena is an African American woman – more is expected of her? That’s not fair. Look at that Anna Kournikova or Martina Hingis, or Justinne Hennin – all them Williams’ peers but instead of critiques they get praised./i>Skywalker~ 3 years ago I would have called these ladies peers. No more. The Williams sisters are peerless in American and Women’s tennis.Since you all went game/set/match on Jason’s physique I’ll let it go.Duke~ do you really think Kournikova’s endorsements will outlast the Williams’ endorsements and prize money? (short answer: hell no).

27. Spinster says:

What a gross fat-ass sexist jerk. He ought to play some tennis his DAMN self, get the hell off the couch, and`STFU.

28. Ace says:

Just saw Serena on the cover of some sports magazine butt naked, but her breast covered. Her father would be disappointed, but its a nice fantasy pictures for little white boys. Serena, you didn’t need to do that. We know your sexy? Remind me of Chris Rock wearing the clown outfit. Always got to do something negative to be accepted by…