RIP, SportsSnob

Football QB Steve McNair Found Shot to Death

As if there wasn’t already enough sadness to go around, former NFL quarterback Steve McNair was found dead Saturday, shot in the head. He and a 20-year-old woman along side him were killed inside his downtown condo.

McNair, who led the famous Tennessee Titans’ drive that came a yard short of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, was found dead on a sofa in the living room Saturday with multiple gunshot wounds, including one to the head. His friend, Sahel Kazemi, was very close to him on the floor, killed by a single gunshot. A pistol was discovered near her, but police said it took a while to find the firearm.

Authorities didn’t immediately say who was to blame for the killings, but they weren’t looking for any suspects.

McNair, 36, and Kazemi were together just two days earlier, when she was pulled over driving a 2007 Escalade registered to her and McNair. She was arrested on a DUI charges, and he was allowed to leave in a taxi.

McNair and Kazemi apparently knew each other from a restaurant the quarterback and his family frequented, but workers there wouldn’t talk about their relationship. Police also refused to release any details about their relationship, simply calling Kazemi a “friend.”

Autopsies were planned for Sunday.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said McNair’s wife, Mechelle, is “very distraught.”

“At this juncture, we do not believe she is involved,” he said. “Nothing has been ruled out, but as far as actively looking for a suspect tonight, the answer would be no.”

Fred McNair, Steve McNair’s oldest brother, said some family members likely will travel to Nashville on Monday to consult with Mechelle.

“It’s still kind of hard to believe,” Fred McNair said. “He was the greatest person in the world. He gave back to the community. He loved kids and he wanted to be a role model to kids.”

He said he did not know who Kazemi was.

McNair was the second African American quarterback in history to lead a team to the Super Bowl, but lost to the St. Louis Rams. He played most of his career in Tennessee, but played his last two years in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens. He retired from the league in April 2008.

18 thoughts on “Football QB Steve McNair Found Shot to Death

1. kimmy says:

Now if she was Black she would have just played her role or maybe she would have been smart and just gotten pregnant

2. Spinster says:

I doubt she was full White, if she was even White at all. I can understand thinking "That’s what he gets!" because he was cheating, and yeah, he was damn dirty for doing that to his wife and kids. But at the same time, no one has the right to take another’s life. It’s fucked up all around, and his wife and kids are gonna have it ROUGH for a very long time. (The fact that it’s public is even MORE embarrassing.)

3. Thought you’d find this interesting:THE SHORT LIVES OF BLACK MALES My father died at the age of 52. At that time he was the only remaining brother of a family of 11 siblings. All his brothers died before the age of 60. African American families usually don’t talk about these deaths for they have a long painful history and African American mothers, while concerned, try not to focus on the truth of their sons short lives.My family has not seen my brother in almost 10 years. I certainly haven’t. I don’t think about it much and my mother simply says that perhaps he will contact us when he is ready. There appears to be an older Caucasian woman who knows how to reach him, and we simply accept that fact, though my mother hasn’t spoken to him.My brother, a former ADA in Brooklyn, New York, has simply disappeared off the face of the earth and we say nothing. What are we afraid to ask? Could he be in prison or dead? I’ve asked my mother many times to hire a private investigator to find out where he is, what he is doing, etc … she retreats to her faith in Jesus Christ and leaves it up to him. I think this is insane, but I’m not looking for him either. I did years ago, but presently, I’m simply left to speculation.The short lives of Black males are a reality for many families. I’m not sure how we deal with it; but we seem to be in a state of denial.We often trace these facts back to slavery and the enormous stress that most Black males lived under and still do live under. Many Black males have even accepted the fact that they may not see old age, some that they may not even see the age of 20.Why are we not hearing more of an outcry surrounding these blatant truths? Why are we not focused on solving this human tragedy?June 25, 2009, Michael Jackson died at the age of 50. All we seem focused on is his troubled past, the bizarre nature of his death and his music legacy. This is the perfect opportunity to dig deeper into the short lives of Black males and all that it signifies. This is the perfect time to have that discussion that we as a family and Nation have been avoiding.Yesterday Ex-NFL QB Steve McNair was slain in his downtown condominium. Another Black male struck down in his prime. Where is the outrage? Have we just accepted the fact that Black males will not live out a full and meaningful life? We know many Black males drop out of school, end up unemployed, end up in prison, end up in gun fights, end up in ill health, are gunned down by police, … and the list goes on and on. Do we simply chalk the Black male’s death up to risky and irresponsible behavior or racism, etc. and move on? If this is true, then I am deeply troubled for our families, for this Nation, … and yes, for our beautiful Black males. Posted by Clevelands Secret Club at 7:14 AM http://clevelandssecretclub.blogspot.com/2009/07/short-lives-of-black-males.html

4. swiv says:

LMAO @ if she was black, she’d have played the position or gotten pregnanttalk about having low expectations for men.

5. Marquetta says:

I’m from Tennessee and was extremely sad when I heard the news. The fact that he was with another woman instead of his wife does not change the fact that his kids have lost a father, his parents have lost a son. He was more than just a football player – he was a father, son, brother, cousin, uncle, and friend. And the nasty comments regarding that’s what he gets is just ridiculous and ignorant. Even comes to light (which some of it has) that he was doing dirt with this girl, it doesn’t change the fact that people are in mourning. Have respect for the people he left behind.

6. black man says:

It is sad, and scary. Bad decisions lead to tragic consequences sometimes. I think the wife hired someone to do it, or the girl’s family hired someone to do it. The shooter probably gave them a choice to end it, . . .they didn’t agree to those terms and you know the rest of the story. I don’t think they will reveal if the "other woman" did it or not. I think the evidence will show that it was someone else that pulled the trigger, not the victims. Either way, it was a very bad thing, and I pray for the family and friends.

7. Wenzel Dashington says:

First Bill Clinton and now Air McNair. Fellas, it’s our job to keep our girls off the pole. Ladies, it’s your job to keep your man away from 20 year olds willing to put 2 in our heads. Just saying. Ms. Mcnair had to know this was coming.