EntertainmentSnob, PopCulturalist

Letters From Luvvie: Dear BET (Guest Post)

Methinks Luvvie didn’t care much for the BET Awards this year!

By Luvvie

Dear BET,

Eff your ENTIRE life. You are DEAD to me. Deader than Sean Paul’s hairline. Deader than Arsenio Hall’s career. Deader than a crackhead’s dignity. I SPIT on you. I sworefo Queen Yawnce’s favorite lacefront hairhat that if you messed up the BET Awards, I was gon raise all types of Hell and rebuke everyone. Well my word is bond and I plan on doing so, starting with this letter from the bottom of my heart. I ain’t just mad for no reason either.

With the passing of Michael Jackson, King of POP, you made a promise to us all that the Awards show will be revamped to reflect this, with tribute galore in honor of Mr. Jackson. So I, like a dummy, went expecting something of the sort. For the first time in a long time, I was looking forward to an awards show. Well, to my surprise, y’all devoted about 23 minutes TOPS out of that 3 and a half hour epic show of nothingness to MJ’s glory. These 23 minutes included a tah’d rendition of “ABCs” by Old, New & Decrepit Edition. Was Boyz II Men busy? They could have AT LEAST gotten through it without gasping for air.

The rest of the tributes were sung by Ne-Yo and Jamie Foxx, who did SANG their behinds off. And Ciara, whose ONLIEST talent is her dancing skill was sitting on a stool? No… just NO! Where were the ACTUAL shucking and jiving tributes to the KANG??? WHERE, BET? I feel tricked, hoodwinked & bamboozled. Y’all some over-promising ass mofos!

Where was Mariah with the booming voice and 100-person QWAH (choir) to move us all to tears? I even got my best box of Kleenex because I was REST for my thug to be on the floor. My best *wall slide* was on stand by. And you may not agree but I do think Chris Brown would have done an MJ tribute justice. Is it because he Ponned Rihanna’s forehead that y’all said no? Fine then you shouldn’t have had Don Cornelius’ dusty self up there either. Didn’t he just get arrested in November for beating up his wife? Chris AND Don are BOTH outta order but if you will have one, have both. I’m not condoning domestic violence but I just wanted to see a proper tribute and Cbreezy would have done one. Hypocrisy, thy name is B.E.T.

Y’all have been effing up for YEARS! YEARS! Then Bob Johnson sold his people for a billion dollars, and the spiral down to the River Styx got faster. It wasn’t on Mount Kilimanjaro before but at least there was a tiny semblance of sense on there (remember “Teen Summit?”). THIS was the chance to redeem yourself and make Black folks proud. The entire world was watching because you promised us you would do Michael proud. The biggest entertainer in this generation just passed and you all promised to do him right. But instead, you used him as a ploy to make us watch your 3.5 hours debauchery while sprinkling some mentions of him like dandruff. No. EFFING FAIL BET! FAIL! You are the spam email of television. I add you to the junk folder of my cable TV, never again to be watched.

iHatechu and the horse you rode in on (no Jay-Z). You, your overseer Debra Lee, and your entire production staff needs a good old-fashioned Tougaloo, Missississippi ass whooping for that plum foolery you cursed us with. Those are 3.5 hours of my life I can’t ever see again. Not NEVER!

BET, iCan’t with you.

Isweahfo Queen Yawnce’s liquid leggings and one-piece spandex that BET is on my permanent sh*t list, next to beets, horror movies and clowns. iRebuke you in the name of Diva, Halo & Ego to the pits of Dereon Hades w/ 3-headed dog in the finest kanekalon hairhat.

iQuit Black Emblazoned Embarrassment Television in the name of Glitter! *2 fingers up* BET, until you do right by me (and other sensible Black folks), everything you touch will FAIL. Everything you touch will crumble. BET, if you were a VeeDee, you’d be the anti-herpes. You are not the gift that keeps giving. HMPH! Debra Lee, on behalf of Black folks everywhere, I wrinkle my forehead at you & your channel. Like this S:-|. You have FAILED! Please pack your ENTIRE sh*t and GO!

*drops mic*

*comes back*

Oh and expect your “FOOL SADDOWN” vacation package via Wells Fargo within the next 3-6 weeks. Comes with a Penthouse Suite at Chateau de Y’all ain’t Sh*t! That is all.

I got an attitude!

Check out a DOPE poem about BET’s jankiness over at my eSis’ NaturallyAlise’s blog. Tis mad clever!

Luvvie is a blogger from Chicago with a passion for rants. You can catch more of her randomosity at her eCribs Awesomely Luvvie and House of IG. She is also the co-creator of The Red Pump Project, an initiative to raise awareness on the impact of HIV/AIDS on women & girls.

42 thoughts on “Letters From Luvvie: Dear BET (Guest Post)

1. Luna says:

This is by far the funniest thing that I could have ever read at work. I’m back here stifling my laugh like somebody is smothering my face with a pillow. This don’t make no sense. I’m going to repost this til I can’t breathe no mo.Oh my word. HILARIOUS.

2. This had me SMH because it was so true. I was so upset that I wasted time that I could have been sleeping or reading watching this show. I do hope that someone does a REAL tribute and puts BET to shame. People keep saying they only had a couple of days to pull it together, but that is no reason for the foolishness that their aired. I do believe Chris Brown will get a chance to do his tribute, in time…I hope.

3. notoriouslyna43 says:

AMEN!!!(just an FYI, it’s spelled Tougaloo, I went to school there, thanks for the shout out, it’s a heluva lot betta than the one we got in "like a pimp")

4. Luna says:

btw, Notice how nobody was jamming to Mary Mary until Queen came out…This award show was hilarious. Boycott back in effect today.

5. shik says:

This was too funny yet so true. I am still tryin to figure out what in the world Beyonce thought she was doing, instead of ava maria maybe she should have sung a negro spiritual- precious lord, eye on the sparrow- something we could relate to. There were a lot of horrendous performances but I was baffled by her performance.It’s been a couple of days and I am still waiting for a real tribute.

6. Wenzel Dashington says:

We really need to embrace some "hood rules" before making a journey down the dial to BET. If you want dignified entertainment, hang out with the Obamas on broadway. If you want a sophisticated award show, try the Oscars. This is Black Entertainment Television. Black Entertainment with the emphasis on black entertainment. So, check your snob expectations at the door, because BET doesn’t really know what’s going to happen on stage at all. That’s the beauty. Pimps, playas, ballas and politicians mingle with the industry people and the fans and it all gets captured on video. That’s the deal.The show wasn’t a tribute show or a funeral. Jamie did the best he could with his skill set to remain serious, but keep the program from being a wake at the same time. BET should be acknowledged for doing it their way.

7. polticallyincorrect says:

somebody tells BET that Beyonce and Jay Z are not the end all and be all in black music right now. They have good PR but other than folks who obsess over them no one cares

8. Mocha_grl says:

That was ABSOLUTELY, by far, hands down THE funniest thing I have read in a long ass time. And why is it funny….because it’s true.

9. Lite Bread says:

Ya ALL!!!I just GOTS TA share this! Had me runnin’ out my office, outside, to laugh so hard, and avoid an’ HR Violation.Ya know the saying about stereotypes have a Reason? I had further confirmation, just moments ago.See, gots this white chick up outside my office area. She into her ‘Blackman’ thang BIGTIME. You all know the type, the female equivalent of Malibu’s Most Wanted? She got her “ghetto” goin’ on, Baby! I think you girls all know the type I’m refereeing to (and LOVE them oh so much, lol)So, I couldn’t resist (yes I admit my bad) casually made a reference to how many thoughtful A/A folks weren’t so happy with BET and the MJ , uh, “Tribute”. She F’ing drops the line “What WRONG wit ya?! Me an’ my BOO(s?) watched it ALL an’ Really liked it! Ooooo an’ Lil’ Wayne! They ALL had it goin’ ON! And Jamieeeee (Fox)! What a Brutha!”No Joke! I about pee’ed my pants! She was DEAD SERIOUS! Took all my control not to bust up laughing right there.She might even take a few fashion/social clues away from it. Learn herself something she did.Ah, ya gotta just love this stuffAnd Luvvie ROCKS!

10. Diva Deluxe says:

Thank you! Thank you! The BET Awards show was a disappointment from beginning to end. Jamie Foxx did a piss poor job as host and all the act followed suite. WHY, WHY, WHY! Why did BET just not proceed with the show as planned and take the time needed to plan a trubute worthy of Michael Jackson? Frankly, I have been over MJ since 1989 and maybe the tribute as poorly as it was executed was indeed worthy of him. I hope that MTV and the family can do a better job.

11. B.C. Bradshaw says:

@Wenzel Washington… SMH… You know what..? I get so tired of people saying that we should not expect BET to meet our standards when it comes to their programming… What are you talking about?! Wanting to see our people have some damn dignity is not an overwhelming request..! And how about most of us simply expect more from the BLACK EXECUTIVES AND COLLEGE EDUCATED (Similar to the OBAMA’s) African Americans running things at B.E.T! Wenzel, honey… Please… You my friend perpetuate the foolishness that is warping the brains of every little black child in America! (And probably a few white ones too…)The BET Awards IS OUR OSCAR/ACADEMY Award ceremony. I mean sure the NAACP Image Awards are great… But the average person does not attend or watch it on TV. We look forward to seeing ourselves, OUR stars walking the Red Carpet… GET IT?! Black Folks have been loyal to that network! The least! THE VERY LEAST they could do is not have Janet Jackson – a woman who just lost her only if not best friend – walk on stage after Lil’ Wayne completely degrades the worth of every black woman in America by having 12-year olds on stage, dancing to the lyrics – "I wish that I could F&CK every girl in the world?!" What?! Wenzel… Honey… PUH-LEASE! That kind of mismanagement of production has absolutely NOTHING to do with how many days they had to prepare for the show… No. They may not know what’s going to happen when a performer walks onto the stage… But it really doesn’t take a rocket scientist…. Or even a top level executive to know that um… Soulja Boy… SMH… Soulja Boy in no way shape or form should be included in a "Tribute" show for Michael Jackson… Have Mercy… Ciara..? Nice young lady, but..? Really..? If she was going to be there, that child should have been dancing… Not singing…At the very LEAST! BET could have focused more on the QUALITY of a program in honor of MJ. I’m 99.9% sure that they could have hosted a separate event for him and continued with their always subpar ceremony as scheduled. If an artist wanted to throw in a tribute during their performance… Fine. Roll with it. There was no need to sell this show as a Tribute to Michael Jackson. IF THEY WEREN’T GOING TO DO IT RIGHT, THEY SHOULDN’T HAVE DONE IT AT ALL!!! PERIOD!

12. B.C. Bradshaw says:

13. BC Bradshaw says:

@Wenzel Dashington… SMH… You know what..?I get so tired of people saying that we should not expect BET to meet our standards when it comes to their programming… What are you talking about?! Wanting to see our people have some damn dignity is not an overwhelming request..! And how about most of us simply expect more from the BLACK EXECUTIVES AND COLLEGE EDUCATED (Similar to the OBAMA’s) African Americans running things at B.E.T! Wenzel, honey… Please… You my friend perpetuate the foolishness that is warping the brains of every little black child in America! (And probably a few white ones too…)The BET Awards IS OUR OSCAR/ACADEMY Award ceremony. I mean sure the NAACP Image Awards are great… But the average person does not attend or watch it on TV. We look forward to seeing ourselves, OUR stars walking the Red Carpet… GET IT?! Black Folks have been loyal to that network! The least! THE VERY LEAST they could do is not have Janet Jackson – a woman who just lost her only if not best friend – walk on stage after Lil’ Wayne completely degrades the worth of every black woman in America by having 12-year olds on stage, dancing to the lyrics – "I wish that I could F&CK every girl in the world?!" What?! Wenzel… Honey… PUH-LEASE! That kind of mismanagement of production has absolutely NOTHING to do with how many days they had to prepare for the show…No. They may not know what’s going to happen when a performer walks onto the stage… But it really doesn’t take a rocket scientist…. Or even a top level executive to know that um… Soulja Boy… SMH… Soulja Boy in no way shape or form should be included in a "Tribute" show for Michael Jackson… Have Mercy… Ciara..? Nice young lady, but..? Really..? If she was going to be there, that child should have been dancing… Not singing…At the very LEAST! BET could have focused more on the QUALITY of a program in honor of MJ. I’m 99.9% sure that they could have hosted a separate event for him and continued with their always subpar ceremony as scheduled. If an artist wanted to throw in a tribute during their performance… Fine. Roll with it. There was no need to sell this show as a Tribute to Michael Jackson.IF THEY WEREN’T GOING TO DO IT RIGHT, THEY SHOULDN’T HAVE DONE IT AT ALL!!! PERIOD!

14. Jaddadalos says:

I keep thinking of the "we only had 2 days" excuse for the piss poor-ness of this "event". Then I think of the adage, "less is more". So, they didn’t need to do backflips, or even try to look like they were attempting backflips. They could have even asked ONE person to do a lil’ vocals – coulda left it with Jamie and Neyo. I don’t have cable so, although I didn’t receive the FULL EFFECT, the very visceral reactions folks seem to be having have translated well… and I’m glad my soul was spared.I really did think they were going to prepare another show specifically to honor MJ. Oh well. Just more confirmation that we are in a bad way as a people – please realize that there were millions of Black folk who actually were entertained and proud of the mediocrity… because that’s what we shoot for and recognize as "excellence". Mediocrity rules!

15. snobfanforeal says:

I know better than to offer another tepid defense of what the BET brass tried to do the other night.As such, i offer a recommendation. If your missing Michael Jackson something awful, you’ll be doing yourself a huge favor by finding and listening to the penultimate love song offered to the world way back in 1972 by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes called, appropriately enough, ‘I Miss You.’ Teddy P’s on lead vocal…and that voice alone will get you through any hardship you ever had, or ever will.

16. Lite Bread says:

Ya’ All,May I be entitled to a small ‘outside’ take on one tiny piece of this? Maybe a large part of it is about the overall lose of real talent, as in, REAL entertainers. Isn’t that, in itself, what set Mr. MJ so apart (and above) so many, that he was a totally talented, well-prepared Entertainer? I’m hearing the mild attempts to excuse BET because they only had a few days to do something. Well, I’m of the opinion that if you’d been able to give Mr. MJ about 5 minutes to think up something, throw the mike at him, he’d a ROCKED. Why? Because he was a real performer. I think back to the crazy ‘jam session’ George Clinton live performances … heck, I don’t think even George knew who all was out there with whatever band configuration he had goin’ that night, but, BUT … it didn’t matter. Why? ‘Cause they were real musicians, who, like, played instruments, wrote music, set-up a show, etc, so they could perform. They knew their BIZ! I just barely missed in life (too young, darn) the late, great Jimi Hendrix throwing together a 3 piece deal with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox (an all A/A rock band. Didn’t know black guys could Rock?), to make a ‘jam session’ band called Band of Gypsies, that did some live recordings at the Fillmore. It became a monumental Rock icon moment. Why? ‘Cause those cats (era-specific terms here, lol) could PLAY!!! So a ‘last-minute’ jam made a legendary event. In the ‘Glory Years’ of the past, with SO MUCH real A/A talent going, wow, what a “last minute” show you could’ve done. Give Aretha in her prime, what, 30 seconds to clear the throat and then she’d rock yer socks off! I know you all could rip off dozen’s an’ dozen’s of names of real talented performers, who, at the last minute, could put up a really great performance. Why? Because they are (were. R.I.P) talented people who know their craft.Today, about all that runs in mainstream are fake creations. An Image. A Look. They possess so little real talent. They are the creations of Producers and recording labels. And Rap has about ceased to have any relevance, socially, musically, whatever, anymore. So, if they don’t have their hands held and every decision artistically and otherwise made for them, they are lost. And it shows. A low-grade, poor performance because, well, they can’t really perform. BET got what the “talent pool” could deliver (wow, that IS the shallow end of the kiddie pool ain’t it!)Really sad part? It’s not like there is no A/A talent available. It just isn’t mainstream anymore. It resides in small clusters (think Jazz), or has an almost totally white audience now (think Blues). I “know” without really knowing, that there are probably lots of other pockets and genres where real talent lives. It’s just not shown. What a shame. Hope I’m not “outta-bounds” on that.

17. mycolina says:

I had to post just to scream "AMEN!" That had to be the raggediest (new world alert) mess I have ever seen.I was so ‘shame. (As my Grandmother used to say)BET confirmed what I was afraid they would do. I also agree with LiteBread concerning the shallowness of the talent pool. My sister and I said the same thing as we were watching.

18. Isabelle says:

Regarding the Chris Brown thing, it wasn’t really BET’s independent decision. Covergirl threatened to pull out funding if Chris Brown performed. This is a good and bad thing. This is a good thing I guess, I guess in that they are finally showing solidarity with Rihanna. This is a bad thing because they quietly disowned her during the height of the drama so it’s kind of lame to back her only after the court’s decision has been made, They had a chance to send a real message and they missed it. This is also a bad thing in that as much as I truly despise Chris Brown, he really is the most able male performer to give MJ a decent tribute. I really wish Mariah had sang "I’ll be there" as her cover is one of my favorite Jackson 5 covers.

19. brownstocking says:

Man, I had a snobbish moment when I realized I didn’t watch the debacle, and continued my boycott. I was going to, cuz I was suckered by the tribute, but, whoa, I saved those 3.5 hours of my life! Yay!Thanks, Luvvie, new subscriber based on this delicious and truthful post!

20. Missy says:

I wholeheartedly agree with this article. It is often said that there is an element of truth to every joke and never more could this be seen than in the above. Although written hilariously, it speaks the truth. To say that we shouldn’t expect a quality show from a black awards show is basically stating "If it’s black, it has to be subpar." Unfortunately, so many of our people will accept less than we deserve in television. As long as BS is accepted, it will continue to be served up steaming hot on a tarnished platter. As my grandmother used to say "Don’t piss on my head and tell me it’s raining!" I KNOW we can do better. I KNOW THEY can do better. They are catering to the lowest denominator of the population and continuously hurling out negative stereotypes, half assed talk shows and awards shows all the while making it seem like progress because it’s black. I call BS. Even I know better.

21. Ashley says:

This blog is so true. I understand that they only had a few days to get it together, but instead of redoing the entire show, they should have kept it the original way it was going to be and just do a 30 minute all out tribute to MJ. I completely agree that they should have had Boyz II Men instead of New Edition (who sucked by the way). The highlight to me was The O’Jays who got up on stage and put most of these young boys to shame. Keri Hilson was horrible, Beyonce sounded amazing but her performance wasn’t entertaining at all. Soulja Boi is a waste of air and space, Mary Mary sounded horrible, Lil Wayne’s performance was inappropriate (come now, the little kids!) It was just an all out mess, but silly me for expecting more out of Buffoon Entertainment Television.F*&^ Debra Lee AND Bob Johnson!

22. Wenzel Dashington says:

@ BC BradshawI googled "dignified black people" to figure out who should have covered the BET Awards for you. Nothing came up.It was a no win situation for BET. They could have replaced T-Pain with Maya Angelou. They could have replaced Beyonce with Oprah. Maybe Jesse Jackson instead of Jay-Z. I guess these are the articulate negroes we use when something bad happens. They are always suggesting how Black people feel. Maybe BET could have gone that route. I don’t know. Neyo did a good job. Monica and K. Cole were great. There was a long segment on charity work by Wycleff and A. Keyes. So, it was not nearly all negative as we say about ourselves so very often. Hold up the positive and don’t hype the negatives in the community. That’s what Mike did.Regardless, I’ll take the high road by saying MJ had a sense of humor. Check youtube for some of his work with James Brown, Prince and the Jacksons. He loved the being on stage. More importantly when things go wrong the best performers do the best show they can.

23. Zion says:

On Facebook, I have actually started a Facebook page called 1 million Strong Against BET. (I only let people of color join. Not because I’m racist, but there are some conversations that WE need to have.) I’m sorry, but BET is not the only problem, but it is a symptom of the spiritually dead state of black America. This channel glorifies ignorance, misogyny, and victimization. Look at who they always have before us. They keep an uneducated, classless sister like Ms. Knowles before us, after all, shouldn’t we all aspire to be her? Shouldn’t we all sound as ignorant as Jay-Z (Sean Carter)? Why not demean women and uphold wife beaters, and every other vile thing that has lead to mental slavery. Even Jamie Foxx, my boy, was classless. We as a people must demand MORE. It is not enough to come to a blog and complain about it. We need to actually organize in mass to let Viacom, the owner of BET understand that they need to either step up their programming or be like the average American without a job.

24. Diana Barry Blythe says:

Luvvie is funny! In one of her other posts she says: "I watched a little bit of the Red Carpet and saw [a celebrity] in a piece of napkin that she referred to as "a dress". I mean, it was so short that I could hear the echoes [from] her vajayjay walls. Uncouth . . . Just uncouth."

25. Tousanj says:

Other than disagreeing with you about Chris Brown being worthy of paying homage to the King (since I spit on that woman-beater a thousand times and thought of Usher being a far better choice), I concur with your rant.

26. Maira says:

LOL @ "No. EFFING FAIL BET! FAIL! You are the spam email of television. I add you to the junk folder of my cable TV, never again to be watched."That is a quotable. Thanks Luvvie. Good work.

27. momonamission says:

Zion,I couldn’t agree with you more. Where can I find your website to join in on the 1 million strong against BET. I think it is an excellent idea.

28. lol! You ain’t never lied. My mother was watching. She would never watch the BET Awards but since she and so many others thought it was going to be a whole show dedicated to MJ, she watched and stopped after an hour or so. And I wish I’ve done the same. Like you said, I wasted 3.5 hours of my life. There were only a few things that was good: The OJays, Neyo’s Lady of My Life and Janet’s appearance (which she shouldn’t have come out with that tom foolery!). I thoroughly enjoyed this and thanks for writing this because I think all sensible Black folks felt exactly the same way.

29. BK says:

Bless you Luvvie. It was the most disgraceful thing I ever saw. Where are you Aaron McGruder? You have enough material to get banned for eternity.

30. Anonymous says:

We are living in [read: extra ] sad days if we have to hold our breaths for Chris Brown to perform a Michael Jackson Tribute. Luvvie girl. You speak the truth. And Lite Bread is on point. Today’s artists are manufactured hype and that’s why the show tasted like flat Diet Rite.

31. BC Bradshaw says:

@ WenzelThanks for taking the high road… BTW… *Clears Throat*IF THEY WEREN’T GOING TO DO IT RIGHT, THEY SHOULDN’T HAVE DONE IT AT ALL!!! PERIOD! (LOL! Just in case you didn’t hear me the first time…LOL!)

32. SistaOpinion says:

Preach ON Luvvie! And welcome to my club…I disowned BET over 10 years ago. I’m old enough to remember when BET was about something…and they haven’t been about anything (except degradation) for far too long now.

Comments are closed.