EntertainmentSnob, PopCulturalist

Kanye Thinks Books are “Self-Absorbed,” Writes Book

My favorite divo Kanye West — who’s mother was an English professor mind you — has come out against books while trying to sell one. The sparse 52-page book is called “Thank You and You’re Welcome,” which made me think of comic Will Ferrell’s one man George W. Bush show “You’re Welcome, America.”

The level of hubris and cluelessness with Kanye is sometimes so high it heads into self-parody and I start to wonder if he’s just pulling the ol’ okie doke on us and this is one elaborate performance art piece called “Preppy Jerk Rapper No. 309 Writes An Assholey Book.” Trying to figure out the ironies and contradictions of a Kanye West interview is like trying to map the timeline for the Terminator franchise. (He has to send his father back in time to have sex with his mother so he can be BORN! Mind blown!)

It will make your head explode.

Here are some choice quotes from artist, rapper, producer and now AUTHOR, ‘Ye about books:

“Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed,” West said. “I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph.

“I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life,” he said.

West, a college dropout, said being a non-reader was helpful when he wrote his book because it gave him “a childlike purity.” (Reuters)

Um … yeah. OK? How about I be a “proud non-reader” and not read your book? I’m just trying to make you proud, Ye!

17 thoughts on “Kanye Thinks Books are “Self-Absorbed,” Writes Book

1. Dane says:

What an asshat. Seriously. He has made me lose my school girl crush on his bucktoothed self…Why Yeezy? Why?

He may be representative of Generation Y: young, dumb and full of it. Hee, hee. Just joking. In America, if you have money, anything you say is automatically important.

3. d says:

Oh Kanye, you don’t like to read and it shows, darling. It really shows… Consider this: Will Ferrell as G. Bush reading excerpts from Kanye’s book. Yup, I’d watch that.

4. I seriously think Kanye has been having an extended nervous breakdown since he lost his mom. Someone needs to convince him to get therapy.

5. Jaddadalos says:

That is utterly hilarious."I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life," he said.Im waiting for one of my students to claim to be "proud non-readers" like ‘Ye. Sadness is my soul.

6. I love Kanye and all but I would have to give him some tough love on this one. You know, say something like, "Ye, you know I love you right? but that has to be the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard or read from you! Again, I love you but nah brotha. I can’t mess with you on that tip."

7. The A says:

cosign w Monie and will add, you can’t help someone have "an ego epiphany" [Kanye’s term] unless they want help.I hope the reporters on his book tour keep asking the gill-less lyrical genius if he likes putting fishsticks in his mouth whenever he gets all asshatty about reading books. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/224089

8. Phi Sister says:

I have that book! They gave it out at his last concert tour for free. It’s not that bad, it actually helps you understand his brand of "cockiness". It’s not so awful. I am surprised to hear that he doesn’t like to read. He does like to disperse his knowledge. Better that than his seed…*side eye*

9. Mr.Crank says:

You are what you achieve, go ahead player break it down show us how much we need to stay away from the dressed BS!