Last month I teased to what would be my next big series (or first series in a long time), “Unconventional Wisdom,” a project that will look at things that are taken for granted or regarded as cannon in the black community and see if what we believe or what others believe is really valid. In the original post about the series where I asked for your ideas for topics I received tons of suggestions and even offers by some to write on the topic. Here are the stories you can look forward to over the coming weeks that made the final cut.
- The Case Against Integration (Or If Your HBCU Is Near Dead, It’s Probably Your Fault)
- That’s Funny, I Flunked At The “White” School Too and Other Suburban Myths
- Light, Bright and Still Black: The Grass Is Not Necessarily Greener For the Person Two Shades Lighter Than You
- Sometimes that White Girl/Guy They’re Dating Isn’t About You
- What’s In A (Really Ghetto) Name? A Lot of Foolishness
- And This Is Where We Part: The Case Against Self-Segregation
- Black Church? What Black Church?
- The Lonely Life of A Black Liberal
- Fear and Loathing In the Diaspora
- The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of the Desperate Black Woman
- The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of the No-Good Black Man
- How To Excel Yourself Right Out of the Community in 10 Easy Steps
- Harriet’s Gun, Part II: Fear Will Not Keep Me By Your Side (read the original post “The Sell-Out” here)
- Black Republicans Would Have More Friends If They Were Blue Dog Democrats (Ask Harold Ford Jr.)
- I Don’t Know What Black Is Anymore and If You Think You Know, You’re Lying
- There’s A Reason Why That Korean Family Runs The Beauty Supply Store And You Still Shop There Even If They Give You The Stink Eye The Whole Time (Or Why “Buy Black” Ain’t Nuttin’ But A Word)
- Black Feminist Is Not A Dirty Word
- No One Has Permission To Say “Nigger.” You Just Say It and Face the Consequences Like Everyone Else
- There’s No Sexual Revolution In Black America — Just Sex
- Massive Fail: If Black Gays Are Still On “The Down Low” It’s Probably Your Fault
- Everybody’s Biracial (Even You)
- Memo to Black Americans from Black Europeans: You Have Everything. Please STFU. Ain’t No Barack Obamas ‘Round Here.
- Can’t Make You Do Right, Can’t Make You Do Wrong: The Myth of the Strong Black Woman and Her Not-So-Magical Powers Over Black Men
- Rap Music Didn’t Make You Do It
As I explained in the original post, people are invited to present their arguments and counter arguments to these topics. In some cases, I will be taking positions contrary from my own views and I will note as such in those particular articles. If anything raises your hackles … GOOD! That’s the whole point of the series, to get people thinking and talking and wondering.
If anyone is interested in writing about any of the approved topics (or the counter-argument), just shoot me an email. The first story, “The Case Against Integration,” will run Wednesday.