EntertainmentSnob

New Trailer for “Precious” Will Destroy You

This film, if you haven’t heard about it, is based on the novel “Push” by Sapphire and is being financially backed by Oprah Winfery and Tyler Perry after being a huge hit at Sundance. (OMG! Tyler Perry is using his powers for good by helping a new filmmaker! Yeah!) It tells the story of an abused back teen, raped by her father and abused by her vindictive, manipulative mother as she searches for a way out and a better life for her and her child.

That said, I don’t know if I will make it through this movie. (Can you say DEPRESSING AS HELL???) Just watching the trailer makes me cry. But there’s a 90 percent chance now I’m seeing this in a theater. As for Mo’Nique, I’ll see you at the Oscar’s, girl. And Mariah, who knew? Glitter can ACT, ya’ll!

20 thoughts on “New Trailer for “Precious” Will Destroy You

1. d says:

1. Yeah, Glitter looks like she will put on a good performance. I love how they stripped her down and made her look gritty. She looks normal. it’s fabulous.2. I read the book and cried and shouted and cursed and rejoiced all the way through. I plan on bringing a box of tissues to the theater.3. I’m trying to figure out Lenny’s role in the movie. I love me some Lenny.4. Monique, wow, I’m curious to see how she plays the role of the mother. I know SHE will be a good actress but that mother is a humdinger…5. I think reading "Push" is a MUST before seeing this movie. Sapphire has an interesting way of telling the story. The text does more than convey the narrative, thoughts, and dialogue in the book. The syntax and individual letters (yes, individual letters!) add another layer of meaning and footnotes to the story. I don’t know if it’s possible for the movie to capture this particular nuance.

2. politicallyincorrect says:

Lee Daniels is not a "new" filmmaker. And why does Tyler Perry always tell abused black women stories, did he feel like a little abused girl growing up?

@ Politically IncorrectI’d count Lee as "new" as he’s only made one film before this one, 2005’s "Shadowboxer." So while, yes, he’s been in the industry for a minute, he has not had a huge personal break as an artist. He was a co-producer on Monster’s Ball and The Woodsman, but that’s a production credit and not quite the same as actually shepherding a film yourself and directing it. I mean, if I got a book published I’d be called a "new" writer, even though I’ve been a professional writer since 2000. New has more to do with notoriety than anything and I’m pretty sure most people outside of the industry don’t have a clue who Daniels is.As for Tyler being drawn to stories of abuse, obviously they resonate with the dude. From what I read he had it rough growing up. I still hate is body of cross-dressing work, but since he didn’t have anything to do with the making of this movie (other than putting his cash behind it after Sundance), I’m more than willing to give it a shot.

4. Kiye says:

Yep. Saw the trailer yesterday on Oprah and will definitely be in line to get my ticket when it opens this Fall. Always LOVED Mo’nique, so proud and happy for her. I’m with you Snob on Mariah who knew? Glitter as you refer to her looks like she will be "shining" in her role and just plain holding it down. As for the film star, it seems like she’s giving raw emotion, way to go for a novice.P.S. @ D will take your advice and get the novel.

5. The A says:

Depressing is the decent into this situation. Rising from it is calledInspiring!!!!I’m so there. Yeah for stories about black females with strength and complexity!!Also, don’t miss American Violet if its still in theaters near youwww.americanviolet.com/

6. jasmine says:

i remember my sister reading that book and telling me how horrible it was. she also said it was worth reading because precious,"makes it"..whatever that means. no one should live thought that kind of abuse,but when people make it on the other side…then (no matter how soul crushing and depressing the story is) it is a story worth reading,seeing and telling others.

7. Sidra Lestrade says:

Mariah has been in one other good role. It was a movie called WiseGirls, she played against Miro Sorvino – it wasn’t half bad. As for this movie, I read the novel as a kid, and it was tough to read then.

8. Sarah says:

It may look depressing but if it follows along closely with the novel there is a somewhat happy ending. I loved the book so hopefully the film will be just as good.

9. RainaHavock says:

Damn this looks like it’s going to be a depression yet powerfully good movie. I want to go see this!

10. JJ says:

Lee Daniels also made Halle Berry’s Oscar winning movie Monsters Ball..so Daniels is NOT new to the game.Read the book, don’t know if I will see the movie…

11. Anonymous says:

I just ordered the book "Push" last night. I’d been hearing about this book and movie for a while, so I can’t wait to get it and I really can’t wait to see this movie. Comedians, like MoNique, are usually uniquely gifted at bringing the drama. I think it’s their keen sense of observation.

12. ZooPath says:

The trailer almost makes me cry. I don’t think I would want to be crying through the whole movie in the theater.

13. I went through a range of emotions reading that small novel! WOW! I will really need to bring a box of tissues to this movie. Puffs with lotion so I won’t dry out the corners of my eyes and get crow’s feet! LOL