He Said/She Said, MediaSnob

No Blessings for Baby If Daddy is Jerk

I was over at What About Our Daughters yesterday and suffered a severe head rupturing upon reading the exchange between WAOD and TV talking head/minister Roland “Rolly Rolls!” Martin and his new black male accountability initiative that just happens to be punitive to women and their children.

I’ve called on pastors nationwide to stop the stream of momma, grandmother, aunts and female cousins coming to the altar for baby dedications with no man in sight. That pastor should say, “Until I personally meet with the father, I will not dedicate this child.” Somebody has to hold that man accountable for his actions. (Roland Martin)

I don’t know how you get a man to show up for a Christening by telling the mother and her family who, you know, kind of want their child to be blessed in the church and loved by Jesus, that the minister will not do the service unless the father shows up.

Um … what? Wait? WHAT???

If ever there was a baby that needed to be blessed, its the child of a man that has to be hunted down to get him to show up at a church for a 3.5 minute prayer. How is turning away the people who have taken on the responsibility of raising a man’s child holding him accountable? If the man was concerned about what a preacher thought… chances are he wouldn’t have an illegitimate child in the first place. Y’all don’t have to say AMEN! I’m saying it for you.

If anything they ought to be having baby dedications in the hospital room as the baby leaves the birth canal!

Isn’t the point of the entire commentary that women can’t police children and you need a MAN? So why would this, presumably male pastor, send the “women folk” to do his dirty work? How did a call for men to RISE UP and be MEN turn into yet another chore for Black women to complete? (WOAD)

You’ve got this kid, this kid who is starting out in the world in a situation he or she did not choose and you’re saying, “Hey kid, I’d love to bless you in the name of our Holy Father and stuff, but your dad’s a bum so … SOL.” Um, excuse me?

Martin, of course, has said that this “Baby Excommunication Black Male Accountability project (as dubbed by WOAD)” is not about punishing mothers but demanding something of fathers. It just feeeeels like they’re punishing kids and mothers, you see? And besides, Rolly Rolls bellows at WOAD, what solutions did they offer!

(T)o the folks who seem to criticize my solutions, which include personal and institutional accountability, what’s yours?

You can continue with the notion of throwing black women under the bus, but that is total BS. I’m married to an ordained minister. The both of us use our ministry time speaking, teaching and mentoring singles and young couples. We address issues such as womanhood and manhood …

So go right ahead and spend time complaining about what someone else suggested. But if all you’re doing is writing and not taking action, then it’s a waste of time.

If you’re sitting around and not even talking to the young men and women in your own family about pre-marital sex, birth control, and the responsibilities that come with having children out-of-wedlock, then you’re wasting time. If you’re spending more times telling the girls to close their legs but celebrating boys with multiple girlfriends, then you’re a part of the problem.

I often ask the question, “What are YOU prepared to do?”

Well, actually WOAD suggested that the ministers start a paternity ministry that would directly target fathers as opposed to tell women they had to make some guy who they couldn’t get to church if they were on hell’s fire show up for a Christening they A) don’t care about or B) … really, Roland. These folks don’t care.

WOAD picked a wonderful passage of the bible to illustrate why turning away women and children from a valuable ritual in the Christian church just because they made an error in picking mates is wrong:

When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. (Psalm 27:10)

This means when everyone else fails, God doesn’t. Ministers in their representation and interpretation of the word are supposed to be on God’s team and God is about taking in orphans, bastards, the lost, the unwanted, the unloved, the fatherless, the motherless and all others who are among society’s rejects. If the church starts rejecting society’s rejects where in the HELL are they supposed to GO? If a single mother can’t go to the church for love and support, where CAN they go? And let’s keep it real, if women stopped going to church the damn thing would collapse in on itself in a week. If you’re expecting an armada of dead beat dads to show up to flip pancakes for that pancake brunch you’re going to be sadly mistaken.

And how can you make something about male accountability, yet still focus solely on women and their issues? If this was always about women and their poor mate choices then why call it a black male accountability project? Why didn’t he call it a “pick a better mate” project? And even if that was the case, why punish the baby? Because the baby is who is receiving the blessing, who is being prayed for and prayed over. What sense does that make? What did the baby do other than be born?

The baby NEEDS you, Rolly Rolls. Try harder next time.

33 thoughts on “No Blessings for Baby If Daddy is Jerk

1. How about a much simpler question – what if the father doesn’t believe in god? Why should he have to put up with the church nonsense because the mother does? The whole thing is ridiculous. Just because the father doesn’t want to be at some religious ceremony because it’s against his personal beliefs does not mean that he’s absent from the child’s life either. Does that mean that those mothers should be denied the ceremony in the religion that they DO believe in? Great way to further segregate and polarize the black community!

2. Anonymous says:

Initially I think Mr. Martin was trying to come up with some viable solutions to the GROSS EPIDEMIC of fatherless in the black community. Roland’s a good brother but I think he should have thought things through a little bit more clearly before suggesting his ideas; especially when blogs like WAOD exist. We need to educate our young men and women on single parenthood and the negative side effects that are associated with being a lone parent. All single parenthood is not doomed; but statiscally its not promising when young men and women don’t know their daddies. Aside from financial barriers are emotional vacuums and mountains of resentment and anger that build within childhood and last a lifetime when not addressed. Black women need to make better choices cause they’re the ones that are usually stuck to provide, protect, and fend for the defenseless baby.Education on making better partner choices; that goes for men and women would be a good place to start. There’s sex ed and then there’s relationship ed.As for WAOD I shake my head. Something about the energy of that once promising blog has turned into a cesspool dark cloud of vitriolic negativity.

3. It doesn’t matter whether the father believes in God or not. If he chose to have sex with a woman who does and she has a child then he should honor what the mother wants to do. It’s all a choice, see? If a non-religious person was a necessity then he should’ve picked someone else. But that argument is an obfuscation tactic. Sometimes when you actually care about someone you honor the things that are important to them that don’t cause you any harm – of course the key point is CARING. And this whole argument of Martin’s is ridiculous. We have enough unwanted and uncared for Black children as it is. Even if the ceremony has no real Biblical reference it’s not a bad tradition as long as people grow up to have some sort of values and spiritual practice. We need something greater than ourselves regardless of what some people may think.

From my point of view, the whole idea of blessing a child in a church is outmoded theology. The mother, father, or anybody can bless a child. Of course, the larger question is whether black women are being faulted while the men are let off the hook. Martin seems to be putting some of the onus on black women.

5. miss kate says:

re: better partner choices: Putting aside the whole "should you have a baby with someone you aren’t ready to marry" question for a second, I just want to interject that the dudes aren’t always obvious bums to begin with. I’ve seen a LOT of seemingly good/apparently responsible dudes get ghost a few months AFTER baby arrives, once they finally realize that baby raising is not all glitter n’ ponies n’ cake. And many times they’re the ones who talked the women into going through with the pregnancy.

6. I agree with most of the comments, I think Roland’s heart was in the right place, but penalizing the child, mother, and other people who are in the child’s life is very wrong. Probably since he is a minister and loves the church and what it stands for he probably doesn’t realize that many of the those father may not be the least interested in church or for that matter the child.The paternity ministry is a great idea. Get the names and locations of these fathers and have the menfolk of the church go out and continually visit and talk to these young men. And a connected "maternity" ministry for the young women would be great.Personally, God and religion and my father prevented(scared) me from having a child/having sex as a teenager. If that could prevent some of these birth, I say go for it.

7. snobfanforeal' says:

I feel like there should be a tag … or a warning … or something sewed into the suits of some particular pontificating negroes that says: NOT EVERY PERSON WHO WEARS ONE OF THESE GETS TO BE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. It might prevent these spasm’s of silliness we all suffer through when some puffed-up wack-a-doo gets a platform. What in Gods’ name does this approach do to curb the out of wedlock birth rate? I can see Martin making a play to bring shame back into the dating and mating patters of young minority men and women. But there’s pretty good chance that if your carrying your baby to the alter without a wedding ring or a man around, shame left the building years ago. At that point, that mother is only doing what she thinks is best—seeking divine stewardship for a road she know’s is going to be rocky.If Martin wants so desperately to steer black men in the right direction, find one and help him. Become a Big Brother, or adopt a child of color, or do something tangible to improve the conditions of a young black male life. Rather than write a road map for others to follow that he himself will never use. Ain’t nothing worse than a bigmouth.

8. First of all, I love context. So here’s my swipe at what has been written:Roland suggests that before a baby be christened or baptized, the father needs to be scrutinized/interviewed by clergy. Danielle believes that the suggestion is dumb as rocks. My perspective: It’s time for those who say they follow the Lord Jesus to grow up. Jesus was almost discarded and cast aside by a man who wasn’t His father b/c the mother became pregnant out of wedlock. If that isn’t an example of what God thinks of children who are born out of wedlock, then what is? If God thought enough of His own son, then what does He think of that single mom’s son or daughter? Geez.At any rate, Roland’s suggestion is "religious." The religious leaders of Jesus’s day would have treated Mary like crap had they thought Jesus was born out of wedlock. They would have punished her and her child. It’s time for the church to take accountability to care for the widows and orphans. It’s time for the church to deal with people accountability and model parenthood and even love for people that empowers us to make wiser choices. And trust me, there is nothing wise about interfering with a child’s spiritual life b/c of the choices of its parents. I think Jesus said it’s like hanging a millstone around the neck if we cause a young one to stumble. He said something like that, right? (sigh)

9. Ally says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I agree with Roland to a certain extent. I know of a very popular church in my city that is full of baby mommas, baby grandmommas, and baby great-grandmommas. The majority of these women had their children out of wedlock and the daddy’s are no where to be found. Matter of fact, the pastor’s daughters contribute to this category. My cousin and her daughters by three different daddy’s are also part of this epidemic.From my understanding, I think Roland may be suggesting that it has become more of a trend to christen or dedicate a baby to the church. Many of these women think that just because their friend or sister or their enemy got their baby dedicated, they need to have their baby dedicated. Yet, these women continue to live their same party/ghetto lifestyle and continue to raise their "dedicated" baby in this lifestyle. And I know a lot of you will probably say "what does she mean? She don’t know what she’s talking about!" Um… yeah I do. Like I said, my cousin is the prototype of my explanation.I do believe there are some single mothers who trully want to have their baby dedicated and will raise them the way God wants all of us to live. But this number is more than likely few and far between. The church should embrace these single mothers and fathers, but we need to make sure they are doing things for the right reason and not just because they think it’s a trend. And that statement goes for everyone and everything we do in the church.As for the first comment about what if the father doesn’t believe in God but the baby’s momma does, first of all the baby’s momma shouldn’t have even messed around with the non-believer in the first place, and that is in the Bible.

10. FCR says:

Cut Roland some slack. Look, his approach is not perfect but Black women must take responsibility for their decisions! And I say this as a Black woman. Is Roland’s approach good? No. But, come on, a christening doesn’t mean shit anyway. Let’s just keep it real for a second — denying a baby a christening is NOT tantamount to the church "rejecting society’s rejects" (I rolled my eyes at that one.) It’s ridiculous to suggest that, just as Roland’s suggestion that denying a christening unless a daddy shows up for 5 minutes is equally ridiculous.Fatherhood and education need to be valued in the Black community – by both men AND women. And, you know, I’m tired of discussions like this. I swear to God, the hood (which, at this point, is nearly unrecognizable from broader black culture) is going to collapse in on itself. The thing we like to call "hood living" (no dad around, baby mamas everywhere, sneakers instead of books) is NOT sustainable. Black culture is self destructing! So I’m not going to sit here and talk about a fucking christening while the walls are burning.

11. anonymous says:

If I remember correctly, I think Roland Martin was raised Catholic. Not saying that I agree with his suggestion, but I do understand that the family construct is highly highly important in the Catholic Church.

12. LMB says:

I think Roland’s idea is a bit much, but he does have a ponit. We’ve reached a point in the black community where we have 2 and 3 generations of women in the same family having babies without even considering waiting until marriage. They talk about how "Christian" they, sit up in the front row at church every Sunday are and no one blinks an eye or says a word. The Bible explicity says that fornication (any sex outside of marriage) is wrong, but for these women, there’s no social stigma. I’m over 50, and I remember when I was a teenager; if a girl became pregnant, the family sent her away to have the baby. or at the very least kept her inside the house until after she gave birth. And yes, women are responsible for the epidemic of unwed births and absent fathers. If women diligently used birth control until after marriage, this wouldn’t happen so often. If women knew that they wouldn’t be so freely accepted if they had children out of wedlock, they’d be less likely to have children without being married.

@ LMB and AllyThe problem is Martin presented this as a Black Male Accountability Project, not a Black Women Need Better Counseling In Selecting Mates Project. If you’re going to create something to help black males, I think it should address the issues with black males directly, not indirectly by talking about women and their problems. So while black women have their problems, that is not what Martin initially proposed and that’s why I reacted so strongly. It just doesn’t make sense to say you’re going to address black men then turn around and talk about black women some more. Unless he’s arguing that black women can make black men do something. Or that any human being can make another person do what they want. In the end, we can only control ourselves, hence why I thought his idea sounded nutters.

14. TiredOfTheHypocrisy says:

"first of all the baby’s momma shouldn’t have even messed around with the non-believer in the first place"No, that is not the correct response.The correct response is "first of all the baby’s momma shouldn’t have been having sex outside of marrage with the non-believer or believer in the first place".

15. HollywoodCole says:

"So I’m not going to sit here and talk about a fucking christening while the walls are burning."Either this was satire, or FCR’s comment collapsed on itself with this last sentence. I really don’t have time when I’m sitting in church to judge the actions of others. Interesting that other churchgoers seem to fit judgment calls in between choir selections. If an unwed mother wants her baby christened in church, then it should be done. We should never turn a person away from the church.

16. Kim Thomas says:

@ Ally and LMB: Must be nice to stand on top of that mountain and judge others…God forbid someone should have the unmitigated gall to request that men and women should be equally responsible for the child they created. Better choices eh? Although many women ignore indicators that a man will not marry them, be good a husband or father material – has it occured to you that there are women out here who were fooled? People can present themselves in ways that make you think well of them. Until men are faced with the stressors of raising a child and all that it entails, most women don’t know how their mate will react. Do you know what the stats are for pregnant women who are victims of domestic violence? Pregnancy is a trigger for men who otherwise may have taken a very long while to show who they really are. Once a child is here, branding her a "baby momma" who should have made "better choices" is silly. While I applaud Mr. Roland’s idea in theory, in practice it only serves to punish those who may have already been victimized. You never know where someone has been or what they have been through…

17. Having grown up in the church all my life and by the grace of God not getting caught up in the ridiculousness that pervades many "play churches" in not only the Black community, but all communities, I must say that I completely understand the varying POVs. The state of our churches today leaves much to be desired that I find it rather arrogant to propose such a siege on the untraditional family. I can only see a decline in church membership from the women, not an increase from the men. I like the idea of a paternal/maternal ministry. However,there’s a dangerous game being played here. Is it the church’s or any individual’s place to judge another for their choices? No. We wouldn’t need God if we were that great. Do some less than savory people use the church as a "no tag" zone where they are suppose to be free of judgement, thus free of consequence & responsibility? Yes. I witnessed many get up with a testimony/prayer request (which in reality was a call for a special offering) about particular struggles which had direct relation to their choices. But what killed me was their immediate evocation of "we all fall short" "none of us are perfect" and "the church is here to lift its people up" rhetoric. I find it hard to digest sometimes when the speaker isn’t just struggling with one or two children out of wedlock and no support, but seven; and so far behind in rent, you must have only payed the deposit. Seven…but I digress.FCR’s comment on not focusing on the christening or the church’s rejection of a child’s christening is somewhat agreeable. However, I want to clarify something. Its true that the christening, just as much as a baptism is not gonna bring you salvation. Your heart and its genuine acceptance of God does. But these acts serve a purpose. When you go before God and tell him, "I want to give my child to you and put him/her under your hedge of protection" through a christening, you are saying "Lord I am taking the first steps to bringing up my child up in your ways". Now ,thats on the parent if he/she is just doing it because it what’s hot in the streets right now. But, if we reduce the significance of these acts, pretty soon people will stop seeing the need for prayer and just say "well hell, he already knows whats up".On a relevant side note: Is is just me or am I hard pressed to find a good amount of discussion (be it literature, television, film, lecture, etc) directed toward the black men in our community? I could be reaching but, it seems to me that us black women are more likely to be the consumers of this information, so these topics are aimed more at us and how WE should change it up to make our lives better? Steve Harvey’s recent book was all well and good, but can I get a rebuttal titled "Man Up: We Already Knew". Instead of folk telling us to just let the man be what he’ll be, get the play out of his system, and move on in the meantime, I need people to holla at our bretheren and tell them to stop skating. It just feels too one sided. Of course, that would mean there’d need to be a market for such discussion amongst our black men. Is one out there? Are brothers out there picking up self help (hate that term) or get-it-together books too?Apologies for the length. That flashback to church really got me going.

18. You know… I’ve always had my issues with the Black Church.. it’s like when we can’t oppress ourselves hard enough, we leave it to our churches to fill our heads with dis-empowering bullshit to oppress us further.. If black people could get mad at the church like we get mad at the government and white folks.. we could actually get something together up in this piece…(The church and God.. and religion are separate issues btw)This is a big cop out on so many levels.. why not focus on safe sex, or if you don’t want to talk about what is already going on.. let’s talk about abstinence….how about supporting young women so they know there are other options than getting knocked up. How about supporting young men so they act responsibility? when the bun is in the oven it’s too late for a lecture and when the bun is out– you need support not judgment or faux punishment from a system that set you up from jump..I’m so pissed I am going to pray..

19. @JeanetteNo truer words could be said…If black people could get mad at the church like we get mad at the government and white folks.. we could actually get something together up in this piece…(The church and God.. and religion are separate issues btw)Bump Roland Martin and his incredibly STUPID, FOOLISH, RIDICULOUS idea. Let’s talk about pimp struttin’, Stacey Adams-wearing, (personal) jet-settin’, tailored-suit-wearing’, Bentley-drivin’-with-your-tithes pastors who insist you hand over ALL your little money on Sunday morning while they watch our communities foreclose out of existence, or be terrorized by baby drug lords, or suffer from inadequate educational systems that send our babies out into the world dumb and underserved. And maybe Roland can show me the scripture in the Bible that lists caveats for BLESSING A BABY AND GIVING HER BACK TO THE LORD? Really? We’re going to stop praying for the babies who need God the most? Uh huh. Okay then.

20. JannyD says:

I love that this starts out as ‘Get the men to do right’ and ends up as with everything else the Black ‘leadership’ teaches hurting, ostracizing the Black woman and baby….I mean how did we get from ‘men take care of your kids’ to ‘women make the men take care of their kids’…as if a woman can make a grown man do anything…If she could seh would probably be married NOT a baby mama.

21. Court says:

@ Jeanette, I cosign COMPLETELY. So the mother finds the father of the baby, drags him to church for the christening… only for him to disappear for future birthdays, graduations, family reunions and each day in between. Why is appearing for a so-called 3.5 minute prayer any guarantee to a lifetime of fulfilling paternal presence?I hear Roland and his defenders when they say his heart is in the right place, but this excuse is getting old and tired. He’s addressing a very real problem with an incredibly boneheaded solution by punishing the only party I can safely say is guilty of nothing.

22. Ally says:

I think everyone is totally missing Roland’s point. I think what he’s trying to say can be best explained in the following excerpt:"Before the actual ceremony, it is crucial that pastors counsel parents about the meaning of dedication. The best passage for discussion is Deuteronomy 6:4-7. First, it commands parents to love God; if they truly wish for their child to one day love and follow God, their lives must be an example. This is a good time to query parents about their own personal relationship with Christ. Second, Deuteronomy makes clear that the duty of teaching children belongs to parents; Sunday schools can provide weekly instruction, but parents must seize the teachable moments that arise throughout" ~bible.org No where in Roland’s statement did I read that he said a baby couldn’t be blessed if both the baby’s momma and daddy wasn’t present or if the daddy was a jerk. From my reading he was stating that it would be beneficial to the baby if both parents met and spoke with the pastors FIRST!!! If a single mother presents her baby before God to be dedicated, that means she is also asking for grace and wisdom to carry out her responsibilities to raise the child the way God planned. If she or the child doesn’t have a good relationship with the baby’s daddy, how is this setting an example for the baby as it grows up? I know it’s not the baby’s momma job to force the baby’s daddy to participate, but it the pastor and the baby’s momma attempt to bring the daddy in and have some counseling, at least that’s a start to a healthy relationship. And even if the daddy still doesn’t act right, the momma can at least know she tried to do what’s best for the dedicated baby.As far as the Male Accountablility Project and indirectly pointing the finger to women, I just don’t agree. I think he wants there to be accountability and responsibiloity from both the men AND the women. But that’s my view on his commentary, apparently everyone reads it differently.@ Kim ThomasYeah you’re right. Women get fooled. But we get fooled because we allow it to happen. Women have this little thing called intuition that allows us to question something we feel isn’t quite right. When women ignore their intutions, that’s when they get fooled by the men in their lives and become the fool. Women know when they’re dating a man after a while whether or not he’s a good catch or not. When our intuition tells us something about him isn’t quite right we ignore it because we think he’ll change. So instead of moving on, we stay with him, have sex with him, and end up pregnant. We should already know before we have sex with him what kind of father he would be so saying we don’t know how he will react is an excuse. He may not have come right out and said "I will be a dead beat dad and husband" but our intuition questioned his actions long before the baby was conceived. And any woman who disagrees with this must live on another planet. Women should have to make the better choice. We have to allow men to come into our lives, they don’t just show up. WE not the men make the choice of whether or not we have sex with him. We make the choice if this man is good enough to marry. I bet the majority of women who have been through divorce knew before they said ‘I do’ something wasn’t quite right in the relationship. But because we women feel Mr. Wrong will change into Mr. Right, we go along against our intuition. Oh, and I’m not judging. I’m simply stating my opinion on the facts I’ve been given.@ TiredoftheHypocricyYou’re right also. A women shouldn’t have sex before marriage with a non-believer or a believer. But my comment earlier was geared toward the very first comment when Justelise asked what if the father is a nonbeliever and doesn’t want to be bothered with church nonsense. And when I said ‘messing around’ that could mean sex, or just being in a relationship other than friendship. Here’s the scripture to back it up: 14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?~II Corinthians 6:14Sorry this is so long, but this is a very critical subject. And I know some of you think I’m probably one of those self-righteous Christians, but that is definitely not the case. I am a Christian who believes everyone has responsibility in their choices and those choices will either bring rewards or they will bring unhappy consequences.

23. Court says:

"I know it’s not the baby’s momma job to force the baby’s daddy to participate, but it the pastor and the baby’s momma attempt to bring the daddy in and have some counseling, at least that’s a start to a healthy relationship. And even if the daddy still doesn’t act right, the momma can at least know she tried to do what’s best for the dedicated baby."-AllyI think it is exactly this point that alot of people have a problem with. That Roland is laying this all at the feet of black women for not trying hard enough. Do you really believe that most black women are relegated to singlemotherhood for lack of trying? Most of the time, just getting the father to acknowledge his responsibility to the little one is moving mountains. And lets not talk about the fathers who have to be faced with jail time before they put food in their child’s mouth. To me Roland seems to be coming from a position of idealism where sex should occur after marriage, believers should date believers, and counseling makes everything better… And they STILL don’t guarantee a stable two parent home. The choice is between dealing with ideals and dealing with reality. This is why people think religious leaders are recklessly out of touch. Sub-Saharan African is dying of AIDS and the pope promotes abstinence.

24. Ally says:

"To me Roland seems to be coming from a position of idealism where sex should occur after marriage, believers should date believers, and counseling makes everything better… And they STILL don’t guarantee a stable two parent home. The choice is between dealing with ideals and dealing with reality."This "idealism" can be reality if people would make the right choices. All the things you stated in the above quote are factors to living a happy life. People don’t want to to turn "idealism" into reality because it’s easier to give into sex before marriage and dating non-believers and that’s the reality. Taking the easy road is what leads to single mothers and the fathers who don’t participate in the realtionship which inevitably turns into a rougher road. It takes people thinking like Roland and others to help change the status quo.And maybe if the single mother would have thought hard enough about who she chooses in her life, maybe she wouldn’t be in the situation of trying to get the baby’s daddy active.

25. Sierra says:

I think we all fully understand that women need to make better choices but this is not the issue here. Roland clearly stated: – That pastor should say, “Until I personally meet with the father, I will not dedicate this child.” Somebody has to hold that man accountable for his actions. – I think The Snob has tried to be clear that this action will not necessarily, or even likely make an absent father feel accountable and take up his responsibilities. It will only penalise the mother and the child in question. Everything else about women making better choices can stand but it does nothing to turn the focus to the men who fail their children. I really don’t see why all roads lead to women and their choices. Why are you not questioning the choices the men make? Yes women bear the children and are left to bring them up but that is only half of the problem. This is about MALE accountability not reckless/gullible/ women. Can we keep the focus on that?

26. Ally says:

Oh, I’m clear on what the Snob and everyone is saying. Ok. You’re right. The focus shouldn’t be just on women and their wrong choices. I was simply responding to those who spoke about the single mothers not havin a choice in their situation. But I think the misinterpretation of Roland’s message comes in when people think he’s trying to put all of the burden on the mothers and not the fathers.The focus should be that when a baby is dedicated or christened, it’s not really for the baby because the baby doesn’t really understand. The dedication or christening is really about THE PARENTS, emphasis on the ‘s’ at the end. If you read my long response earlier you would have seen that it’s critical for the pastor counsel BOTH parents FIRST. If the mother wants the baby to grow up and love God, she and her baby’s daddy must first live as an example. And when in the quote where Roland states someone needs to hold the man accountable, sounds to me he’s not necessarily talking about the mother, but the PASTOR. In other words, if the Pastor sees that the mother apparently has not control over the father, then he or she as the Pastor will get a hold of him. I think this is where everyone is interpreting things differently. I don’t think the pastor is punishing the baby or the mother by requesting meeting the father first. If anything it would help the situation. And no this action may not work getting the father to want to be a part of the ceremony or the baby’s life, but no where did Roland say the baby shouldn’t ever get dedicated after all attempts of reaching the father has failed.

27. Erika M says:

My ex-boyfriend’s baby mother wanted to have their daughter christened at her church. The pastor said that instead of performing the christening on Sunday morning in front of God and everyone, he would do a private ceremony for them because the baby was born out of wedlock. I know that’s not what is being proposed here but I thought it may be an interesting tidbit to add to the discussion. The point is, we are an imperfect people who attend imperfect churches. My pastor always says that if you find the perfect church and join it, you will make it imperfect. These women and especially their children should not be punished for their imperfection. The women and not the pastor should decide how they want the situation to be handled, they should not be told.

28. Adeshola Blue says:

I think we should stop being so judgemental. Ally have you ever had sex out of wedlock? If so aren’t we being hypocritical?

29. Netherland says:

I would’t have to think twice about Rolly Rolls, blessing my cat, if I had one. That man and his wife are supposed to be ministers, and they post pictures on the internet of themselves hanging at a strip club in Florida called "Mangoes"? He is always talking about how fat someone is, and having tantrums in restaurants about his food. His own followers on FB have warned him about acting like that, before some spits, or s*its, in his food. And here I read he’s not blessing someone’s baby because the father will not accept his responsibility. Who died and made Rolly Rolls God!?!?! You can’t force a boy to be a man, because only a boy would run from his responsibility. The problem is Roland speaks without thinking. Who in the hell is is he to withhold a blessing for an innocent child, that did not ask to be brought here? Shame on you Rolly!