Who knew segregation would STILL be a problem millions of years in the future?
Once you get past the arrogance of humans assuming we’re going to last that long, sci-fi is really an enjoyable medium, one of my favorite in fact. I loved Star Trek (crappy 70s and brilliant Next Gen). I’m getting into the new Battlestar Gallactica. I love anything with a cyborg in it (save “Universal Soldier.”) I even like Japanese anime (futuristic, dreamy, erotic, Hitchcockian, robotic or apocalyptic please — or all those things at once. Fuck a Dragonball).
But when it comes to black people and the future the baddest mo fo we have are Lando and Worf and one of those two is not supposed to be a “black” guy (although he is a “black” Klingon). And as hard as I stan for some Michael Dorn doing some sacrificial bloodletting at his own wedding, I’m still wondering why we, as brown people, haven’t made to the future when we vastly out number our European homies?
I mean … shouldn’t the future be more … brown?
(More after jump)
Aside from The Matrix Trilogy (which we’re not going to talk about lest I start dropping f-bombs like it’s WWIII), the future is amazingly Negroless, where did we go?
Some theories anyone? (Besides the obvious: the writers are white and don’t know, don’t show, or don’t care about writing us into the future.)
TOP FIVE REASONS WHY THERE ARE SO FEW BLACKS IN THE FUTURE
1. Segregation. Most of us are working the elevator lifts and have other shitty jobs no one else wants.
2. New DNA technology allows us to be “bred” out making, white skin a dominate gene trait.
3. Still too broke for space!
4. New technology allows people the choice on whether to be born black or not. God. Was that a story in “Faces At the Bottom of the Well” because that sounds scary as shit.
5. Hey! That AIDS finally worked. Wait. What?
OK. I’ve officially scared myself with all these oddly plausible scenarios. Anyone else got a theory on how we got left behind?