Uncategorized

Found A Job For Kal Penn Already! (Racist or Not)

Rep. Betty Brown, R-Terrell, made the remark during House testimony on Tuesday. (Houston Chronicle)This heifer! Get ‘er, Kumar!

From The Houson Chronicle:

The comments caused the Texas Democratic Party on Wednesday to demand an apology from state Rep. Betty Brown, R-Terrell. But a spokesman for Brown said her comments were only an attempt to overcome problems with identifying Asian names for voting purposes.

The exchange occurred late Tuesday as the House Elections Committee heard testimony from Ramey Ko, a representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans.

Ko told the committee that people of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent often have problems voting and other forms of identification because they may have a legal transliterated name and then a common English name that is used on their driver’s license on school registrations.

Brown suggested that Asian-Americans should find a way to make their names more accessible.

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?” Brown said.

Oh, assimilation! Do you keep the O’Henry or do you just go by “Henry” because the sign says “No Dogs, Niggers or Irish allowed?” Decisions, decisions!

More after the jump!

Of course Brown said the Democrats are just “making” her sound racist because they had a tall glass of haterade that morning. What’s racist about asking someone to give up their name? I mean, Kunta Kinte didn’t mind being called Toby. Sure. They had to beat Toby into his ass, but he eventually answered to it. And in the HBO film “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee,” Ohiyesa didn’t look AT ALL like his soul was being torn to pieces when he had to claim the name Charles just to correct his bitch-ass teacher who messed up the name of his chief on purpose to get him to pick that damn name.

Yeah. Minorities love giving up the one last thing that makes them who they are by force.

So, um, STFU, lady. Chinese, Japanese and other Asians choose English names if they WANT TO (just like my parents “chose” Danielle instead of giving me a West African or Muslim name). They do this because they felt this was best and liked the name, not because you think it’s a nice idea, because there’s always someone thinking that’s a nice idea and next thing you know Sitting Bull is getting shot in front of his wife and kids just cause he won’t fucking grow corn.

Asshats.

15 thoughts on “Found A Job For Kal Penn Already! (Racist or Not)

1. Joelle says:

OMG!! WTF!!!Sorry, this just makes me soo irritated!! We already went through tons of times umm let me think….. Native Americans (ie Pocahontas = Rebecca?), slaves, the immigrants who migrated to Ellis Island in NYC….. Enough is enough!!! When will people (especially WHITE PEOPLE) stop trying to make everything (ie people) manageable or convenient for them!!!*Breathing!*

2. Layo G says:

yo, i read this story on CNN this morning, and I was SHOCKED!! That she even had the nerve to say such a thing, and not understand how it can be VERY offensive.I don’t recall the American forefathers, coming to this country and adopting Native American names to make it "easier" for Native Americans to understand them, (not instead, we killed them off….imagine that), no, instead they kept their "charles" and "Harry" and "Josephs," because it identified them to their culture, but now others must give up their names?!?!? WTF!And Americans get so SHOCKED, when the rest of the world calls us arrogant, i have NO idea where they get that notion from (note the sarcasm!)

Danielle, you’re being very promiscuous. You just go from one celebrity to the next. First, it was TJ, now it’s Kal. It’s like every Tom, Dick and Harry these days. You really have to clean up your act.

4. David W says:

Snobby One:I thought of a plethora of "Toby" lines when I first read this on Huffington this morning. And it is an absolutely appropriate parallel. Good writing, Danielle.

5. Zion says:

Remember, when white immigrants first got to this country, the only way they could not be persecuted by the English speaking class was to drop their accents. I’m starting to re-evaluate my take on racist behavior. Many whites do not honestly believe that they are being racist because look at how their ancestors decided to betray their identities just to "blend in." That is why I refuse to drop the African from the American part of my identity because the term American has been used as a tool of exclusion versus inclusion. Let me exclude the "other" part of you, but embrace the part of you that I’m comfortable with.

6. msladee says:

As usual, you post is on point/ She was wrong and couldn’t be told how to get right. I really don’t understand how it doesn’t "sound" racist to her."What’s racist about asking someone to give up their name? I mean, Kunta Kinte didn’t mind being called Toby. Sure. They had to beat Toby into his ass, but he eventually answered to it."I think I just died. Seriously, my soul literally got up and left the room. can i borrow this for my favorite quotes?

7. Sabrina says:

I am pissed and I’m not even Asian. Yo! My Asian Americans stand up! You need to lock down that banshees office phones demand an apology. Blow up her email. She needs some lessons on BITCHASSNESS. But this is so typical so I am not surprised. Just another reminder that Change is a long way off. Rep. Brown take your dumb ass back to Mayberry and that’s if they’ll have you!!!

8. Court says:

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove YOU AND YOUR CITIZENS to adopt a name that WE could deal with more readily here?” Brown said.Cultural sensitivity anyone? This statement was made by a woman who clearly does not give a flying f*ck. It’s so offensive how she considers asian americans apart from the "real" americans (READ: White I’m sure).

9. Diana Barry Blythe says:

Sabrina, I agree with you, but would add that when something is wrong, everyone should stand up against it, not just the recipients of the wrong. We should all do something.I can’t believe how crazy this is. She’s too lazy to learn a person’s name?! It’s just common courtesy to "deal with" someone’s name properly. How inconsiderate and cruel she’s being.