Uncategorized

From Hedge Fund Manager, To Pizza Delivery Man?!? Riiight. (Guest Post)

By AverageBro

The folks at ABC News apparently just discovered we’re in a recession. Now, seemingly each episode of the newsmag 20/20 focuses on some aspect of how folks are faring in this economy. There was Diane Sawyer’s ridonculous special on Appalachia, John Stossel’s Libertarian infomercial, and now, just when you thought the show couldn’t get more absurd, this example of Extreme Caucasian Craziness.

(More after the jump.)

Pour yourself a cup of Joe, and settle in. This is a good one.

I suppose we should give ABC News credit for showing a different angle on the stories of those effected by the economy. But c’mon, there’s nothing even remotely newsworthy about this. Elizabeth Vargas, assuming she isn’t laughing at these morons off-camera, should be ashamed. These folks lived waaaay beyond their means. They didn’t invest properly. The husband took an unnecessary risk of leaving a $750k/yr gig to start a business, without the wherewithal to trim down household expenses just in case things didn’t pan out. Isn’t “preparing for the worst” like Entreprenerism Tip #6?

Now, these idiots haven’t paid their mortgage in years, are collecting food stamps, and will likely be on the street by the Summer. The wife (who looks eerily like Jill Biden) has to be the most detestable character I’ve seen on TeeVee since that 2nd OJ trial. I know it’s not nice to laugh at the misfortune of others, but c’mon.

And the point of this story, other than gawking, is…?[1]

I smell a rat here. My Negro BS Radar was going off the entire time I watched this. Why is the guy delivering pizzas, a job which essentially pays nothing after taxes? Are you telling me that he was resourceful enough to have a gig that paid almost $1M/yr at some point, but doesn’t have a Rolodex with a single contact that can get him a decent job? And how the hell do kids get their $30k/yr private school tuition paid by “an anonymous donor” in this economy? I’m tellin’ ya’ll, somethin’ ain’t right. If this ends up turning into a book deal/documentary at some point in the future, remember where you read it first.

Since I’m all about stimulating conversation, and this story has none, I figure I’d flip the script on you guys for The Question. Pay close attention and answer honestly.

Question: What’s the most demeaning job you’d do if your family needed to be fed and sheltered? Could the family have done something to avoid their current fate? Does that wife look like Jill Biden or is it just me?

[1] In all fairness, another segment of the show featured minority families in an LA homeless shelter. It was responsible journalism, not this sorta sensational nonsense.

——————-

AverageBro is the blogger responsible for (what else?) the eponymously titled AverageBro.com. Peep his site for politricks, sports, pop culture, and random Negro Nonsense. It’s just one Black man’s opinion. What’s yours?

11 thoughts on “From Hedge Fund Manager, To Pizza Delivery Man?!? Riiight. (Guest Post)

1. devessel says:

I would not say that what this man is doing is demeaning–it’s just part of his arc. Service-oriented jobs are often thankless, it’s true. Personally, I have thought that I would work at a natural foods grocery store should the situation present itself. Folks gotta eat, right? I do hope that if/when these folks get back on the other side of things, they make good on the notion that they can reach out to others who are less fortunate in the way that the Mysterious Anonymous Donor is helping out their children. You just never know which angels are out there!

2. Sergio says:

I agree with you. When I first saw this report last week it smelled something awful. There ‘s a lot of B.S. being thrown around by this couple and like you the first thing that came to my mind was that they lived WAY beyond their means (that huge, ugly, tacky, overpriced house was one BIG clue) and how could this guy with this big paying job and all these connections not have been able to hook something up? And what’s with this "anonymous honor" paying for their kids tutition? Or is it his parents or hers that are paying for it, but won’t give their own kids a dime to help out?Something tells me somebody is going to come out with a report about the REAL story behind this couple

3. I agree. Anonymous donor? He’s probably another Madoff who was just able to hide the scheme better and simply ‘go out of business’. I’m thinking that the real money was siphoned off to somewhere else so the ‘anonymous donor’ trust fund could pay for the kids’ education. It really is hard for me to believe that someone making so much could be dumb enough to loose everything. Madoff gave the money to family…i think this guy’s money is out there somewhere. Simply being able to pay the utility bills for that monstrosity of a home seems beyond their means if you believe all of this. Way too stupid to believe!!!

So true. When I watched the segment last week, I had the same questions in my mind. After you pay out for gas, wear and tear on your vehicle (I believed he drove a gas guzzling SUV), you basically have nothing left delivering pizzas. After sizing up the husband’s girth, the only logical reason for him to take the job, I can see, is that he’s a food addict. Foodies gravitate to jobs that appeal to their palates. He’s obviously a pizza man. The wealthy benefactor who’s paying the tuition has to be a close relative, and thus the reluctance to admit to sponging off old uncle Bernie. The trophy wife looks like she’s about to bail on him and take the 3:10 to Yuma, if things don’t get better. Still, I must say I felt sorry for the guy–at least until he starts talking about how the liberals are taxing people to oblivion and ruining the country.

5. I had the same suspicion when I saw the show last week. As an individual who works in finance you are networking and constantly filling your Rolodex. He can call in an old favor. I am sure he could easily work as a financial consultant making commission. Although, working as a pizza delivery guy is honest work he is capable of better positions. Break out the tissue…this family wants a handout. There are more people who are in need of "recession" coverage.

6. halfmoon circle says:

I’m a regular reader of the snob and I enjoyed your post. But I take issue with your appalachia post you hyperlinked off your own blog. For one thing I think you have used numbers to create a misleading effect. Whites constitute over 2/3 of the entire population so they are underrepresented in the welfare ranks. Blacks are 12 % of the population while making up about 22 % percent of welfare recipients. I think presenting the numbers in those terms creates quite a different spin than the one you were intending. If you think 20/20 is a bastion of "Extreme Caucasion Craziness" than why don’t you check out this doc:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/countryboys/view/Brought to you by none other than those ardently independent thinkers at PBS.Perhaps there is more to this story other than inward looking white guilt after all.

7. Snob Fan fo' Real says:

Is there anyone else out there who thinks this recession has, just plainly, forced millions of white people to live the way millions of black people already live?I mean, really, isn’t it just that? Not the ‘great crisis since the depression’, just whites losing the ability to charge their way out of a brown/black Americana?

8. Max says:

@halfmooncircleSo-called "underrepresentation" does not change the fact that two thirds of welfare recipients are white. At the end of the day, contrary to what the Rush Limbaughs of the world would have you believe, this is where our tax dollars go.

9. hla-b 5701 abacavir fda . Many types of payment. Super Fast Worldwide Shipping, Online tracking. Refund/Reship Policy. Secure ordering. Super Discount. Customer support. Satisfaction guaranteedziagen for hiv abacavir hsr screening hla abacavir hypersensitivity – http://buy-ziagen.gu.ma/ – ziagen discovery