Uncategorized

As complex as all the finances are, the politics aren’t hard to follow. By creating an urgent crisis that can only be solved by those fluent in a language too complex for ordinary people to understand, the Wall Street crowd has turned the vast majority of Americans into non-participants in their own political future. There is a reason it used to be a crime in the Confederate states to teach a slave to read: Literacy is power. In the age of the CDS and CDO, most of us are financial illiterates. By making an already too-complex economy even more complex, Wall Street has used the crisis to effect a historic, revolutionary change in our political system — transforming a democracy into a two-tiered state, one with plugged-in financial bureaucrats above and clueless customers below.

The most galling thing about this financial crisis is that so many Wall Street types think they actually deserve not only their huge bonuses and lavish lifestyles but the awesome political power their own mistakes have left them in possession of. When challenged, they talk about how hard they work, the 90-hour weeks, the stress, the failed marriages, the hemorrhoids and gallstones they all get before they hit 40.

“But wait a minute,” you say to them. “No one ever asked you to stay up all night eight days a week trying to get filthy rich shorting what’s left of the American auto industry or selling $600 billion in toxic, irredeemable mortgages to ex-strippers on work release and Taco Bell clerks. Actually, come to think of it, why are we even giving taxpayer money to you people? Why are we not throwing your ass in jail instead?”

But before you even finish saying that, they’re rolling their eyes, because You Don’t Get It. These people were never about anything except turning money into money, in order to get more money; valueswise they’re on par with crack addicts, or obsessive sexual deviants who burgle homes to steal panties. Yet these are the people in whose hands our entire political future now rests.

Good luck with that, America. And enjoy tax season.

From “The Big Takeover,” by Matt Taibbi for Rolling Stone (Thanks to my homeboy, The Negro Intellectual for the link)

11 thoughts on “Rolling Stone Better Elaborates On the Thing I Don’t Understand (And Why I Don’t Understand It)

Those executives deserve that money, my foot. To me, none of them should be making more than $200,000 a year.

2. CDF says:

Yeah, some of them financial terms are just made-up con jobs to squeeze whatever penny is left in your wallet…LOL!

3. NAGROM says:

Danielle, this might be an interesting post. I got the article from Huffington Post. It is extremely troubling to me because this is the mindest that many on the right side of the political spectrum think about our First Lady. This townhall commentator, is dispicable. I would encourage all of your readers to make some time to contact him and voice our disdain for his foul language against our First Lady. Dispicable.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kelly/townhall-michelle-obama-i_b_177947.html

I posted a comment on Huffpost and sent a complaint letter to Townhall for that hateful column on Ms. Obama. I don’t even want to express my disgust. I’ll leave that to others.

5. Nona says:

It was only a matter of time before this house of cards came crashing down. I shudder to think where this unraveling will end.

6. mattie says:

NAGROM, did you miss the blog about the OBAMA’S being called "TRASH in the WHITE HOUSE" I cried, this bog is at HUFFINGTON POST as well, a woman by the name of TAMMY BRUCE made that statement! these people are WICKED, but, I knew they were going to come after her! if they can’t get the PRESIDENT, then they will come for her, and it’s sad to say but, they will come after the little girl’s, no one is off limit’s, they want the OBAMA’S out of the WHITE HOUSE, but, not so!!!!

7. NAGROM says:

@ Mattie, Honey, do not waste your tears on these Fools! They aren’t even worth it. Anybody who could make an evil, vicious statement such as that deserves to be treated as a fool. The right never fails to surprise me with their growing hatefulness and low-level smears and attacks each day. Rush Limbaugh is their leader, remember? This guy stated boldly that he wanted our President to FAIL. Anybody who could seriously make a careless statement like that is not a good citizen, nor fit to lead even the most staunch, and stubborn Republican. These people are becoming like an angry mob of zombies.

8. Pretty Komplikated says:

Here is my suggestion. Cut your credit cards, Don’t Borrow, SAVE ALL YOU CAN, and stay out of the system. The game is designed for us to play, but the rules are set up against the financially illiterate. I am going back to what grandma’nem used to do, yep I am putting my money under the mattress.

9. MJ says:

Pretty is correct. The game is designed for us to play, but never win. Kinda like Vegas!BTW, raise your hand if you get monetarily compensated for a crappy job at work!