MediaSnob

Rupert Pens His Own Apology (Racist or Not)

Remember that whole deal where the New York Post ran an editorial cartoon that made fun of both the killing of a berserk chimpanzee and the stimulus package and people inferred that the toon was comparing the president to a primate?

Yeah. I remember it too.

One thousand blogs and articles about WHY putting a black person anywhere near a primate is offensive later (and one “I’m sorry to everyone who was offended even though we think you’re idiots, especially YOU, Al Sharpton” non-apology from the staff at the Post), Rupert himself, the other prince of darkness who isn’t Bob Novak, has written his own apology for the toon.

Here it is, unedited.

As the Chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me.

Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted.

Over the past couple of days, I have spoken to a number of people and I now better understand the hurt this cartoon has caused. At the same time, I have had conversations with Post editors about the situation and I can assure you – without a doubt – that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation. It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such.

We all hold the readers of the New York Post in high regard and I promise you that we will seek to be more attuned to the sensitivities of our community.

(Source: New York Post)

See? “Attuned!” “The sensitives of our community!” Jesus does save after all!

Murdoch, as you may or may not know, despite his personal conservative beliefs, is first and foremost a capitalist (and cool hunter) and in today’s “NEWSPAPERS ARE DEAD!” environment, Uncle Rupert really can’t afford this little NAACP/Al Sharpton/”Random Obama supporters hate me” thing keep spiraling. If for no reason other than the precious, precious ad revenue.

Because we all know how these protests work. First there’s the outrage. Then there’s the picketing. Then there’s the call for the boycott.

And then there’s the targeting of the advertisers. Those weak, scared, recession plagued advertisers.

And that’s where you get them. That’s where it hurts the most.

So Rupert’s sorry, ya’ll. Will you call off the attack dogs? The man is trying to run a half-ass, irresponsible tabloid here! What’s a little dead chimp joke between friends? He loves a little occasional race bait to gin up the revenue and publicity, but this is the sort of notoriety no one needs when Craig’s List is causing you to hemorrhage revenue.

I’m not planing on paying for The Post anytime soon. (I didn’t buy it before. Don’t live in New York.) And I know a lot of black people who claim they have never bought The Post because of past incidents. Is there anyone who actually purchased the tabloid on a simi-regular basis who has stopped buying/reading the publication due to the toon?

If so, please share and share alike in the comments!

11 thoughts on “Rupert Pens His Own Apology (Racist or Not)

1. Allie says:

How condescending.It’s same old ‘I’m sorry YOU FEEL badly about what I’ve done’ crap. Not owning up to the fact they’ve done something wrong at all. Next.

2. Black patrician says:

This man is disgusting and his apology completely worthless. He should be ashamed of himself and the race baiting intolerance of the Post and Fox news network. How many people know that Murdoch has 2 black grandchildren from his daughter’s first marriage to a Ghanian man? How does he dare look them in the face?I sincerely hope the boycotts and protests continue regardless. Money is this man’s life blood and the only language he understands. Squeeze him till he bursts!!

3. Layo G says:

Apparently, from what his biographers said, Murdoch actually really likes Obama (his biographer today on Chris Matthews went as far as to say Murdoch has a man crush on Obama), and apparently, behind the scenes, he was LIVID at the cartoon (how far this is true, im not sure), because after all, he lets the fools at Fox News say all kinds of crazy thing about Obama, and he owns part of that too!!Either way, I think its great that all these people, who are sooo against Obama, so much that they will make a cartoon of two white police officers gunning him down don’t even put a dent in Obama’s popularity (the guy is flying high at around 70% approval rating!!)TAKE THAT HATERS!!!

When I was a kid, the two newspapers we got every morning were The Daily News and the New York Post, long before Murdoch bought it. Biographer Michael Wolff said on Book TV this weekend that Murdoch will definitely sell the Post soon to try to buy the Times. I think the Post learned a lesson.

5. Adaobi says:

Can’t stand the Post. I wouldn’t even taint my cat’s litter box with it. Yeah, yeah I get, one thousand monkeys, one thousand typwriters, blah, blah, blah, but they can’t honestly tell me that they didn’t see that as the face of the stimulus package, people would naturally assume the chimp was Obama, not to mention that they are being totally insensitive to the fact that a woman almost died in that Chimp incident. Murdoch needs to do more than just apologize.

6. Anthony Nurse says:

I wasn’t particularly offended by the cartoon, but I haven’t been to the Post’s website (I am a native New Yorker and read the sports and gossip sections) since this all went down. After that arrogant, defiant "apology", I didn’t feel like giving them any page views. They most be feeling the pinch already if Murdoch came out with a real apology.What I am most entertained by is Lou Dobbs trying to frame this as a first amendment issue. Note to Lou: if you are getting paid for it (as the cartoonist was), it isn’t free speech. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2009/02/23/pilgrim.chimp.cartoon.cnn

7. The A says:

Yawn.I’d like to continue my Post/Fox News boycott but I wasn’t cotting them to begin with.Ruppey, make with the specific actions & change or shush it.

8. The Truthful Redneck says:

I'm sorry, but racism is a part of this country, BUT apparently only Whites can be. So, if you're black, STOP NOW.This cartoon is exactly what it is, a cartoon. It reflects a current event in cartoon form. When people read this and say, "Well, hot damn they just called the president a monkey" they need not to automatically assume that the author is being a white supremacist. They should stop being liberals and get over themselves. Blacks are trying to, at every turn, get in the limelight. Where, in my state, 75% of the people below the poverty line are Black and that is actually factual. So, GET OVER YOURSELVES!