Obamarama, Slideshow

Michelle Visits Dept. of Transportation (Slideshow)

It dawned on me Friday that Michelle has some sort of husband who is, like, president of something. (A country maybe? I hear he’s pretty popular in Canada.) And he’s, like, doing really important stuff and maybe I’ll do a photo essay on that … when Michelle stops showing up in random places smiling and talking.

She’s my crack rock.

After a long, mind-numbing day at a job I hate (but need to live), my favorite things to do are watch movies, flip through “The Wall of Sexy,” read your comments and search for pictures of Michelle Obama being Michelle Obama.

It makes me happy.

That said, Friday, First Lady Michelle Obama continued the “getting to know you” governmental tour. I realize there’s some controversy over the notion of First Lady’s getting paid to be do the First Lady thing, but ever since the job went from ceremonial teas and smiling profusely, to actually giving speeches, pushing policy and being a goodwill ambassador/unofficial adviser/unofficial cabinet member/hostess-with-mostest, this really looks a lot more like a full time job than having bunch chat with the spouses of foreign dignitaries.

Of course, being First Lady has sounded more like a job for decades now, but the view still remains a bit stagnant and even archaic in some ways. The woman has been nonstop since her husband started running for president two years ago, whether as the family breadwinner, helpmate or campaigner.

I’m just saying … First Lady sounds like work, you know? Unless she decided to retire to tea parties which I don’t think you can realistically do in the modern era of the political spouse.

That said, I love it when she wears her hair pulled back and natural looking makeup. Really accentuates her high cheekbones. And I love the dark, houndstooth jacket, similar to a suit I saw her wear often on the trail. I also love the brooch. Is that a cluster of pearls? Very nice.

In somewhat other Michelle fashion related news, I’m two-seconds from closing comments to my near ancient “Michelle Obama Dresses Better Than You” threads due to the overwhelming number of trolls. I mean, it’s gotten ridiculous. I don’t mind people who disagree with the First Lady’s fashion sense, but for the folks who act like she assassinated her husband’s presidency via fashion faux pas are working my last nerve. (That and the folks who just feel like typing the “N-word” over and over like they’re 13 and just discovered its magical, Negro angering properties).

Should I shut it down? So far the only thread I ever cut comments to on the old blog was the one on Obama quitting smoking (again) because I was tired of deleting the damn Chantix spam. Is it time to close the thread? Read the comments on both original Michelle Obama fashion stories and let me know.

28 thoughts on “Michelle Visits Dept. of Transportation (Slideshow)

1. LOVE says:

Don’t close the thread!Michelle is the First Lady! Has everyone forgotten? Is she suppose to stay at home or go on shopping sprees? She has a purpose. Now, her fashion sense? WTF is wrong with people… who cares what she’s wearing as long and she’s trying to change policies and the world I’m find with that.Oh and another thing… The word Ni**er has no offence to me, I simply laugh at anyone who dares call me that because frankly I don’t give a shit if you call me a ni**er! I’ve abolished that word so long ago that it has no meaning to me.peace

2. danadevin85 says:

long time reader first time posteri really love your siteand i especially love the Michelle Obama sectionsso please don’t shut it down

3. moja31 says:

even the tea party route to first ladyship is actually a lot of work; i watched a documentary about the white house and all the planning that goes into the hundreds of events hosted at the white house is kind of amazing; the first lady as hostess is intensely involved in all of it. i personally think it’s absurd that the first lady doesn’t get paid, she out there representing the country in all manner of capacities and spends quite a bit of time campaigning for her husband’s party during midterm elections etc. there no approach to being first lady that involves twiddling your thumbs, it sure seems that she ought to be getting paid by somebody. but america is a lot more backwards when it comes to recognizing the work of women than people like to pretend, and pretty much in the dark ages when it comes to acknowledging and valuing the influence of first ladies.and yes michelle continues to be fabulous, i never thought that i’d like brooches but she manages to not make them look old ladyish. she’s like crack to me too.

4. rikyrah says:

Snob,where are the pics of The President in Canada? did I miss them? The video of his ‘ swagger’ getting off of Air Force One. And the Sista who is Governor General of Canada.

5. canuck says:

don’t kill the threaddam we only had your Pres for six hours. Howbout an xchange. Harper of your Pres. PS. what is that 3 finger salute thingy I keep seeing these days?

6. NAGROM says:

Michelle also had wondeful discreet dimples, I see them pop out every now and hthen and Sasha has the cutest little ones ever, just like her Daddy, don’t know if Malia has dimples, I don’t think she does but she is still gorgeous.

7. Alsace says:

Some of the thread comments could be an opportunity for interesting journalism. The 61-year-old white woman who’s been an adult since Reagan’s presidency but thinks Michelle spends more on her wardrobe than any previous First Lady. . . it would be interesting to compare — just how does MO’s spending stack up against Nancy Reagan and Jackie Kennedy in today’s dollars? You could even throw Sarah Palin in there. Who pays for the clothes? (I’ve read that Jackie’s clothing bill was picked up by her billionaire father-in-law.) And how much of a "professional discount" have each of the First Ladies regularly received?The level of ignorance in wingnut comments about the Obamas and their entourage is astonishing. There were comments on gawker.com re Desiree Rogers trip to Fashion Week that seemed to think she was the first White House social secretary in history. And how dare the Obamas give themselves that perk! When, of course, the position goes back officially to Edith Roosevelt (Teddy’s wife) and unofficially to Martha Washington. The crazies’ comments could be just an occasion to drop some fascinating history.

8. Christina says:

Oh, just shut them down. Does every single thread on the Internet have to be a haven for people who enjoy letting their inner racist run out? I understand that blog censorship is a delicate thing. This is your space, I’m just a visitor here. But for God’s sake, if I want to read about Michelle Obama being an ape I can read the comments on the Fox News site, MSNBC.com, the Washington Post site, or pretty much any other site out there. I don’t mind the idea of "The Black Snob" being a protected space where I can forget that because I’m dark-skinned, some assholes out there have no problem comparing me to a monkey.

9. edwina says:

Shut the comments down. Why amplify the hate vibration in the world? Not everything that comes welling up from people’s shadow side needs to be expressed. The haters have plenty of places to air that dark side. Your site is a joyous, creative place to visit. Why not set a standard of basic decency? You are the queen of your castle. Don’t worry about internet democracy, some things are best not expressed.

10. I think you should delete the ridiculous posts especially ones that have nothing to do with the topic and are outright lies, and as per usual white Americas ammo in comparing her to a primate, and close the thread. That is not the place for them to spread their propaganda or hate speech. The 61 year old white female needs to get a life and stop being a hypocrite.

11. khal02 says:

As a fellow stan, please don’t shut down the Lady Obama threads and definitely keep them coming (As a heads up there’s a black tie dinner tomorrow at the White House at which Earth Wind and Fire will be the entertainment). As for the trolls, delete their comments and send them back to freeper nation. This is your site and you should exert yourself as a moderator.

12. NIAGROM says:

@ Christina I hate when people refer to black women as apes, it really is a reflection of the mentality and intolerance we have as a culture towards black Americans and black beauty.

13. me says:

I love her new hairdo. It looks much more regal than when she wears it down. The other style looks like she just rolled out of bed after an all night love fest.

14. heather says:

15. lovinthesnob says:

So yeah… I saw pics of Michelle and Transportation the other day and THIS was the first place I knew I had to come. She looked fabulous but aside from that I wondered to myself if she cut her hair? And now that I know it was just pulled back i’m thinking… maybe she needs to cut her hair. It look really cute short and I think her hair is kind of falling into that first lady helmet hair danger zone. CUT IT MICHELLE!

16. rikyrah says:

Snob,can you de-vowel the trolls?Prometheus 6 does it with bad trolls and it’s hilarious. It’s more infuriating to trolls than deletion, IMO.

17. Lady M says:

I don’t think Michelle should cut it but she should do stuff with it… like experiment with things that look cute, but age appropriate and tasteful with short hairstyles, e.g. braids, curls, etc. Maybe more of a sweeping bang? I’m always wondering why she doesn’t try things out. It’s my one qualm with her. …Does anyone know who does Malia’s cornrows?

18. Lady M says:

Honestly, I never considered myself "dark-skinned", per se, but I became enlightened recently. I suppose that’s a good thing, being that my parents never deemed it necessary to differentiate between dark and light skinned black people. Being compared to an ape is insulting… sometimes I wish there was an animal I could compare white people to… but then they would get offended and cry "it’s backwards racism" and all that. I say don’t shut it down, just to see what other kinds of foolishness these ignorant people will spew.

19. Joan (in Australia) says:

Dear Snob…I’ve read the comments and simply had to copy/paste heather’s…my sentiments pretty much exactly!…ESPECIALLY the first sentence…as for the mountain top experience ~ I’m imagining the mountaintop being Everest..that way one gets the overview :-)My dream is that one day these haters will get over themselves and find good health. Operating from two extremes simultaneously–an irrational superiority complex and chronic insecurity–is dysfunctional, must be mystifying, and obviously consumes them. A mountaintop experience is in order, so let’s pray. That said, Danielle, I found this blog during Obama’s campaign and I’m hooked. You’re blog is smart, funny and well-informed. I’m as excited as you and most of your readers about our new First Family. Instead of deleting the thread is it possible to allow flagging and deletion of egregious posts? The days are made sweeter reading The Snob. Thanks!

20. Christina says:

Lady M, there was a story in the Washington Post a few weeks ago about the Obamas’ closeknit family and friends. I think it was mentioned in that article that a family friend does Malia’s cornrows and twists.

21. you know, i appreciate michelle’s eloquence, elegance and intelligence. i love that she went to princeton and harvard…but i gotta say, what i REALLY love is the fact that our first lady has, in the words of soundmaster t, "too much booty in the pants."

22. BluTopaz says:

Why not just delete those devils? They will be stewing in their own hateful venom over the next (hopefully 8) years; and maybe they will self combust. Why allow them a space to spread their misery?

23. Black patrician says:

The racist haters are sick in the head. They’re truely pathological. The beautiful Obamas simply make them feel weak, ugly and inferior. What can we do about it? Well, it depends how you feel Snob. Does their ire cause you pain? Then delete them. Life’s too short to suffer anymore than you have to. However if the comments are a source of amusement, as in how funny that these psychos are so mentally deranged about the Obamas and THERE’S NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT, then leave them up and enjoy.