Tiger, Tiger Woods Y'all

Tiger Woods’ Son: He went with “Axel” over “Slash?” Sacrilege.

Tiger Woods, extraordinary golfer guy, unveiled some new pictures of his happy family (dogs included). He and wifey Elin have named their newborn son Charlie Axel, and while I could rant about giving your children nicknames rather than full names (Sam as a girl’s name? Really?), I’m more disturbed by the “Axel” angle as I had no idea Eldrick loved GNR that much. Personally, I think Charlie Slash Woods or Charlie Duff McKagan Woods could have also worked.

From Yahoo’s Devil Ball Golf blog:

Charlie Axel Woods was born on Feb. 8 to Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren (well, mostly to Elin), and these photos from Golf magazine are the first public appearance of the lil’ duffer.

“Both Charlie and Elin are doing great, and we want to thank everyone for their sincere best wishes and kind thoughts,” Woods wrote on his website when Charlie was born. Woods, of course, has been out of the game since the U.S. Open in June 2008, but expects to return to competition in the next few weeks … just in time to dodge the majority of diaper-changing duty.

Indeed, Charlie is a lovely and precious kid. Now, Chuck, tell your daddy to get back to work!

49 thoughts on “Tiger Woods’ Son: He went with “Axel” over “Slash?” Sacrilege.

@ AdesholaI’m just saying Charlie Duff — it could have worked, man. They could have called him Lil’ C-Duff for short or C-Dubs.

2. megthebar says:

Jeez, Sam grew up fast! That is an adorable picture, although I couldn’t help but be distracted by Elin’s huge hands. I noticed the baby after that.

3. Kels says:

Sam was what Tiger’s dad used to call him. He said he looked like a "Sam". And Axel is Elin’s brother. I know all this cause I was obsessed with Tiger until he went and married the nanny with the giant hands and thick neck. I’m over it now though. I got a man and when he’s not around I crush on President Obama.

4. Kels says:

Oh, and I see Tiger all over lil’ Sam, but that boy don’t look like either one of them, ok. Just saying Elin might be up to her old tricks and Tiger might wanna get a DNA test.

5. starrie says:

glad everyone is healthy and happy….i never looked ellin directly in the face before…not that impressed….but whatever…

6. lincolnperry says:

This coming from Man that sat on Oprah Winfrey show, and said that he didn’t want to diminish his mothers cultural legacy, and goes out and finds the blondish white girl, yes I would expect him to give his child a silly name!

7. Bad Girl says:

Poor Tiger, even though he went for the whitest of white wives he could find, that little girl still looks all browned up. I with you better luck with Charlie, Tiger.

8. TM says:

Fret not Bad Girl, check out little Charlie’s ears… he’s likely to become darker than his sister. LMAO Tiger, the DNA joke is on you. Pull a Jacko for your next go ’round by employing a white (or at least Asian) sperm donor.

9. marvy says:

Peasant stock? lol That is hilarious. How many other rich men (okay other than Robin Williams but he’s crazy so it doesn’t count) are going to marry someone’s nanny? He probably wouldn’t have given her a second look if her name was Keisha.

10. T.W. says:

What in the hey are you people drinking and/or smoking? This is the strangest thread I’ve seen so far on the Snob’s site and I must admit, I don’t understand what the hell you folk are talking about!

11. White people have calmed down about Tiger because they realize he’s one of them. His father brainwashed him. Are you ready for my hateful comment? Here it comes. A LOT of black men in the military, regardless of whether they are high school dropouts or officers, either despise "mean, critical" sistas so much that they freak out at the sight of foreigners who linger around these overseas bases…OR…they find the self worth they felt they never had in America by claiming some German chick who cozies up to them at a bar, or a Japanese or Korean giggly young girl. Indeed, who better to do exactly what their told? I don’t know too many black women, including my wife, who show as much deference as is taught in many households overseas, and what woman living ioutside a US base WOULDN’T want the chance to move to the states and enjoy cable, shopping at Target, etc? Such is Tiger’s pathology. Now go ahead and call me bad names, curse me. Do it before I psycho analyze Barack and Michelle (for why there’s but one black Cabinet member–nobody’s crusader at that, and why we are so ga- ga over some trip to Fashion Week. in NY..and never call them on anything). Hurry. Curse me. Stop me…

12. Joy says:

Who cares…So not interested in Tiger.I read the article because I thought that there was a compelling event, could not figure out why you were covering him.

13. Actually Marvy, one of the richest men in the world, married a nanny, or doesn’t Prince Charles count? Tiger Woods is a golfer, he makes his living by hitting a ball with a stick. That’s not to say he’s not talented or hard-working, but it’s not like he founded a Fortune 500 company or something. I would imagine that for most of these men a nanny or the like are very much in keeping with who and what they are. What would most of these athletes be, probably a short order cook at Denny’s. But because they happened to luck up on fortune and fame we expect them to choose a different type of woman. Never mind that I doubt most of them could carry on a conversation in a brown paper bag. And furthermore, I’m so sick of this goddamned cablinasian isht. The man said he made that term up WHEN HE WAS A CHILD. Right now my child says he wants to be a superhero, an astronaut and a bird. Are y’all going to be pissed at him because he didn’t say he wants to be a black bird. I perfectly understand his feeling of relating more to his mother’s culture. Most of us are acculturated by their mother’s NOT their fathers. If my son grew up and said he didn’t relate more to my culture I’d be shocked as hell, after all, I’m the one who taught him everything from talking, to walking, to how to wipe his heiny. Please people, grow the hell up.

14. greer says:

Why does ANYone care HOW Tiger Woods self-identifies? Or Barack Obama for that matter? As one who self-identifies as "Black Irish" (pun intended) I’m all about him being comfortable in his own skin. That can be a hard thing to do when you’re multi-racial. You get pulled in each direction, get labeled by EVERYONE ELSE and can be made to feel a complete misfit. It takes a special set of parents to keep you centered and allow you to be who YOU feel you are. Get over the labels people.

15. Ugh who cares. Why even give space to this ANYTHING BUT BLACK self-hater? He’s just happy his kids look as pale as possible. What would’ve been interesting is if they had not. He’s still going to teach them to hate their Black ancestry like his daddy did with him. I will not support anyone who not only rejects themselves but rejects Black women.

16. Shelly says:

Did you publish in attempt to get a cheap thrill from your audience over Woods bi-racial children? Why not just address it instead of covering the story up about his son’s name?? I’m obviously not the only reader whose observed this post was as random as ever because he’s not a popular person in the black community and this article is unappreciated.

@ ShellyPeople are free to respond to a picture of Tiger Woods and his family anyway that they’d like, but …. maybe you’ve noticed, I enjoy satire and he named his kid Axel. I wanted to make a Guns N Roses joke (Slash? Duff McKagan, anyone), which I did (which most people ignored and went right to rehashing his racial make-up and history.)Personally, I enjoy the man as a golfer and I’ve written about him about as much as I’ve written about the Williams sisters. I’m not a huge sports person, but he’s on the short list of people I follow.

@ T.W.Yeah, things did kind of devolve into strangeness. I truly just wanted to crack a good GNR joke. I mean, I love making fun of things. Tis how I make my livings … but apparently Tiger evokes some strong emotions out of people. I get, "Meh. I’ll be glad when he starts playing again. Cute baby. He named it Axel. Axel Rose once trashed an amphitheater with GNR in St. Louis. Tee hee."

19. Kels says:

Axel is also the name of Elin Woods’ brother.As for Tiger, and I’ll never forget this, he was interviewed by the "black" radio station in Atlanta. This was before he won the Masters in 97. Before his people cut him off from doing Black press. Anyway, one of the guy DJ’s told Tiger how some of his female friends saw him at some club the night before and they told him he would would only talk to white girls. Literally, he would not SPEAK to the sistas in the club. So the guy asked him what was up with that and Tiger was like "Uh…uh..uh..". Then the interview abruptly ended. Now, I was a stupid young gal and tried to rationalize it so I could still go on with my crush. But Tiger is a self hater, period. I don’t care when he calls himself, the fact is, he would not even form his mouth to acknowledge a black woman. Not hollerin’ at a sista, just making conversation. The man has issues, for real. I’ve heard plenty of gossip about Tiger and his issues with black folk and black women in general. Being in Atlanta, these stories always circulate from black folks who live or work at the course where the TPC is played. And yes, Tiger’s daddy was messed up. His first wife was black and he abandoned her. He left her with 3 young kids and she filed for divorce citing "cruelty". All 3 of his sons, Tiger, Earl Jr., and Kevin, are married to white women. I’m all for "we are the world" and shit, but the fact is, there are some black folks who date and marry interracially because they have issues with their own people. I know it’s not politically correct to say that, but it’s true.

20. But the question is Kels, What’s it to you? Folk get married for all kinds of effed up reasons, and? Presumably you’re not invested in every relationship you encounter, at least I hope not. Unless Tiger’s your man, why and wherefore he married this woman and whether or not he has issues is really pretty much irrelevant. I haven’t heard him say or do anything that I would interpret as disrespectful to black people. I think we need desperately to get over this need to ‘claim’ people. Perhaps if we’d stop acting as though blackness were a mark of Cain fewer people would be trying to escape it.

21. Noma says:

Wow! I hate to say it, but a lot of the comments here are really kinda bitchy. What does Tiger Woods not wanting to diminish his mother’s heritage have to do with him marrying a white woman? Would you have been happier if he had married an Asian woman instead? And did Tiger ever actually say that he wanted pale children?I’m not going to say that I don’t question his choice in mate myself. I also guess that he likely has a problem embracing his African heritage. But none of us actually know this guy, so to make these strong judgements about what he thinks and feels about his own children and their appearances? That’s just over the top to me. I have a brother who (IMO) compulsively dated white women to the near exclusion of black women. He definitely has issues with self-acceptance. He eventually married a white woman. Even though I believe his choice was partly determined by his difficulties appreciating the beauty in women of his own race, he and my sister-in-law’s relationship is not one-dimensional. They are a real couple with real life issues and real life love and real children with real beauty and value. Slamming Tiger’s family because of whatever psychological issues we perceive that he has just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I hope for better from members of the race.

22. Kels says:

Roslyn,I’m not trying to claim Tiger. I never have. If he says he’s caublinasian, then I’m not going to try to claim him. I said that I don’t care what he calls himself. But the fact is, the man has a problem with the part of him that is black and he was raised that way. He is prejudiced. I don’t think it’s wrong to point that out. And this is a blog, I’m not on Tiger’s doorstep calling him a sellout. He doesn’t know me and I don’t know him. I’m on a blog, just like you, discussing a famous person. So my question is, why does my opinion bother you so much. I think the man hates a part of himself and his choice of wife is a reflection of that. I’m not talking about interracial relationships in general, I’m talking about his interracial relationship. So, what’s it to you if I think he’s got serious issues?

23. "So, what’s it to you if I think he’s got serious issues?"I don’t know, maybe because the conversation at hand WASN’T whether the man has issues, it was a joke about the name they chose for their children. I just think it’s strange as hell that a GNR joke turned into a bunch of amateur psychiatrists analyzing a man they’ve never met and accusing him of rejecting black women and black people in general. Too strange, and frankly, kinda pathetic.

24. FWIW, I think C-Dub is pretty funny. It was have been great though to have a litte Slash Woods running around. I can imagine Tiger Woods having a little self-aware giggle every time he called his kid’s name.

25. JannyD says:

wowee, things got pretty intense pretty fast…..I think poor Tiger is merely a cipher for the frustration women of color feel for what we perceive as the remnants of racism in our culture that are hard to quantify or articulate but that still affect our lives in very real ways. It is obviously not our imaginations that we are less likely to be married than any other group of women and that this fact has its roots in attacks on our femininity and desirability in American culture. That is why it bothers us when successful men of color continue the trend of our ‘rejection’. I mean I remember looking at pictures of a successful black man and his little daughter and being surprised the baby wasnt mixed. I was shocked that he had a black wife. That says something about what I have come to expect as the ‘ideal’ wife for a successful Black man: As in a white nanny is better than a Black Stanford grad. But whatever, he has made a beautiful life for himself and his lovely family, and all our griping isnt going to ‘bring him back’ or make him claim his Blackness in some way that would make us happy. So I wish him well and I actually love that his baby is Axel, it kinda goes with his sister’s Alexis. I also think Slash may have been too Black for him…tehehehe.P.S. In my crazy bad person fantasies, I hope that his son marries a chocolate sista so he can live with have all that Brown returning into his bloodlines…hehehehe…sorry for the witch cackle

26. blah says:

"frustration women of color" I don’t think so. I knew this would turn into an angry women thing. There have also been many men, including in this thread, who have expressed this same opinion of Tiger Woods.

27. Kels says:

Why does it always have to turn into an "angry black chick" thing. I don’t care about interracial relationships. I do not give dirty looks to black men with their white women in the mall. I doesn’t bother me. What does bother me is black folks who act like calling out a man who exclusively dates white women for having issues with a part of himself is somehow mean and nasty. I seriously doubt Tiger visits this blog. It’s written by a black woman, of course he is not reading this stuff. So if I wanna talk about how he married a nanny because she was the whitest woman he could find, who does it hurt? No one. Tiger is not checking for black snob or anything else that’s black. Chill out, folks.

28. "So if I wanna talk about how he married a nanny because she was the whitest woman he could find, who does it hurt?"Actually I couldn’t possibly care less whether it hurts Tiger or his wife. He’s a celebrity, presumably he’s got his big boy drawz on and can handle it. I’m far more concerned about the psyche and damage this mindset does to black folks in general, and black folks as a whole. This whole ‘mark of Cain’ thinking doesn’t benefit anyone, and indeed makes black folk look pathetic and desperate. I would hope that it should be unthinkable that anyone would want to ‘escape blackness.’ In my mind such a thing is out of the question, because blackness is so freaking fabulous. And if these people feel this way? Good riddance to bad rubbish, they’re the ones missing out. Instead, we act as though we’re some 21st century slave catchers. How dare you try to escape blackness? Instead of trying to force folk into blackness, there’s any number of folk we should be trying to force OUT. Exclusivity is its own reward.

29. Kels says:

Roslyn,Again, who is trying to force him into blackness? I’m simply clowning on a man I think is a joke. I think he’s a joke because he does have issues with a part of himself. I think he’s a joke. I think his marriage is a joke. I think his father was a joke for his views on black women. And I think it’s gonna be a joke on Tiger when lil’ Charlie brings home a Michelle Obama in 25 years. Kids always fall in love with the one their prejudiced parents hate. What I think is unhealthy is your desire to chop me up over some stuff I didn’t even say and don’t even believe. As I said, I don’t care how Tiger identifes and I don’t care about people dating outside their race. But I will clown on Tiger and his weirdness. Why does that bother you so much? Are you his sister or something? Geez. Calm down, it is not even that serious.

30. Just as you feel compelled to point out the politically incorrect "fact" that some black people marry interracially for the "wrong" reasons, I feel equally compelled to point out the politically incorrect fact that some of the black people who feel most compelled to point this out are actually some of the ones with the greatest issues with blackness themselves. Otherwise, why would it even occur to you that Tiger would have issues with blackness? If blackness is so wonderful, surely everyone would want to escape to it. I’m puzzled that it would ever cross your mind to think otherwise. Especially given that you don’t know this man, and he’s never said anything that could be interpreted as disparaging to blacks.

31. Andrea Williams says:

Wow! This hit a nerve but I sense using my psychic powers that interracial relationships in general always do. I notice how we go back and forth slamming either Tiger for his supposed hatred towards black people in general, black women in particular OR suggesting that it will serve him right if little Axel selects a Nubian princess. As Roslyn suggests we act like we can control or want to control other people, particularly each other on this issue but act like some real problems effecting Black households, particularly how they effect Black women are those where we just throw up our hands like that’s just life. I have no solutions just an observation on which topics hit a nerve and which ones get nary a response.

32. Kels says:

Ok, Roslyn. I see there’s nothing I can say since you insist on arguing with me over things I never even said. So I’ll just go on saying what I want to say about Tiger and other prejudiced folks, and you can keep responding to me, and I just won’t respond back. That said, I think Tiger’s marriage is a sham. And when it’s all over, man-hands is gonna take him to the cleaners. HA!

33. rmcgrudiva says:

Actually, I personally cracked up at the GnR references! I clicked through hoping to bond with folks on that tip, but, oh, well…

34. Lili says:

@ Roslyn HolcombCan I just point out that contrary to your comment that Prince Charles "one of the richest men in the world" married a nanny – I assume you are refering to the late Princess Diana. In fact her family is an old, wealthy, noble one. Please check out this link to the family estate run by her brother the Earl Spencer. The upper class/elite in England often go through a brief period of performing a humble service – this may involve working at a casual job usually right after the Swiss finishing school and just before snagging a rich husband. It may also mean travelling to some remote or underdeveloped country – taking a "gap year" – to experience new adventures. At that time Lady Diana Spencer – as she was then- lived in an expensive flat bought for her by her parents while she worked -in a kindergarten, not as a nanny. It hard to explain it fully if you do not understand the (sometimes eccentric) workings of the English upper class but I assure you the lady who went on to become the Princess of Wales was anything but your usual nanny. She certainly did NOT need the cash.Here is a link to her ancestral home. No doubt Elin Woods can also boast of a similar pedigree.http://www.althorp.com/

35. Lili, I’m more than aware of Diana’s lineage, but the fact still remains that at the time that Charles met and married her she was the nanny to an American couple. I read the article and saw it on one of the news shows at the time. I certainly understand the eccentricities of European aristocracy, but it would seem to me that it’s rather bizarre to consider Diana, a young woman who barely graduated high school above Ellin Woods who at the very least was able to acquire employment under her own accord as a nanny. Surely, we as Americans are not ascribing characteristics to Diana that she in fact did not earn on her own. Kels, you might want to review your own posts. I find it most peculiar that after acknowledging that you were at one point ‘obsessed’ with Woods, you take umbrage with people who ascribe your comments to jealousy. I can’t imagine what else it could be, you’ve insulted this woman referring to her as ‘peasant stock.’ Could your comments get more catty?

36. swiv says:

he should have married an asian woman. at least they’re generally thought of as intelligent and upwardly mobile. and he’s more asian than anything else, so there wouldn’t be this here big issue.

37. Black people in this country (who aren’t 100% Black anyway but identify as part of a Black collective) should feel outraged by those recent biracials who want to take the benefits of those who fought for Civil Rights and Black empowerment but don’t want to claim Black heritage and have issues with Blacks. They get it from their parents but choose to continue with that mindset. It isn’t about not recognizing a parent. This is about a rejection of heritage to gain class standing. The fact is nearly every Black person in this country descended from slaves is "mixed" so the idea that a more recent admixture is somehow "special" and deserving of attention in society has to do more with racism and Black colorism/prejudice than anything else. It’s the reason for the paper bag tests and the focus on hair texture and a host of other evil dysfunctions that permeate the Black collective. If those bi-racials who want to be thought of as white were accepted as such, most like Tiger would accept the escape hatch and not have anything to do with Black people other than what was necessary. That’s fine by me, but don’t try to claim a disadvantage and take money from programs/scholarships/other remedies to white supremacy designated for BLACK PEOPLE. We have plenty of Blacks who aren’t recently bi-racial that have enough prejudice and animus towards other Blacks that we don’t really need to add to the pile-on. Also these men reject Black women and refuse to acknowledge our beauty and our worthiness because they feel inadequate and less empowered. This is about expecting and demanding equal respect…and levying consequences for those that violate a set of standards that benefit Black people.

38. Black people in this country (who aren’t 100% Black anyway but identify as part of a Black collective) should feel outraged by those recent biracials who want to take the benefits of those who fought for Civil Rights and Black empowerment but don’t want to claim Black heritage and have issues with Blacks. They get it from their parents but choose to continue with that mindset. It isn’t about not recognizing a parent. This is about a rejection of heritage to gain class standing. The fact is nearly every Black person in this country descended from slaves is "mixed" so the idea that a more recent admixture is somehow "special" and deserving of attention in society has to do more with racism and Black colorism/prejudice than anything else. It’s the reason for the paper bag tests and the focus on hair texture and a host of other evil dysfunctions that permeate the Black collective. If those bi-racials who want to be thought of as white were accepted as such, most like Tiger would accept the escape hatch and not have anything to do with Black people other than what was necessary. That’s fine by me, but don’t try to claim a disadvantage and take money from programs/scholarships/other remedies to white supremacy designated for BLACK PEOPLE. We have plenty of Blacks who aren’t recently bi-racial that have enough prejudice and animus towards other Blacks that we don’t really need to add to the pile-on. Also these men reject Black women and refuse to acknowledge our beauty and our worthiness because they feel inadequate and less empowered. This is about expecting and demanding equal respect…and levying consequences for those that violate a set of standards that benefit Black people.

39. swiv says:

is he really denying or accepting what he is? he hasn’t set claim to one. and anyone who expects him to is an idiot. he does what he wants. if you really want to get technical, he’s more asian than black so he should really claim that if the moron collective wanted him to claim only one.

40. andersonb123 says:

His wife is from Sweden. In Sweden, Axel is a fairly common, if not very old-fashioned, man’s name. It’s very possible a family name on the mom’s side.In old Norse, it actually means "shoulder," as in a strong, dependable part of the human male body (go ahead, say something nasty). It’s a beautiful name they have chosen. I think it sounds perfect. His wife is lovely and seems to make him very happy. They are beautiful together. Try to be glad for them.BJA

41. Taro says:

Wow. Until I read these posts, I didn’t realize there is such ugliness and pettiness in black culture and especially in female black culture. I had no idea black women such as Kels are so insecure and racist that they must assume anyone who marries outside their race must hate their own race. Gee Kels, maybe Tiger just prefers the way white women look. Or maybe her prefers their character. More than likely, he dated someone like you in the past and is simply scarred by the experience. Since none of us knows the reason Tiger chooses white women over black women, Kel’s comments are simply ignorant and bigotted. If white people made a similar comment about a black person, Kel would presumably be the first to accuse them of racism. This whole thread has made me feel sad and disgusted. I don’t want to admit to myself, but the the fact is my opinion of black people is somewhat diminished. Only Roslyn gives me hope that you are not all entirely idiots and deserving of your sad and solitary lives. Get over your race. It isn’t all that important.

42. Kelli Morgan says:

First, I must inform everyone that the name Axel is a Swedish name (very old). Also, from what it is a family name for Ms. Nordegren. Concerning Tiger’s "blackness or lack there of", Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys, Halle Berry are all black………………..every one except Tiger. I am black and I have kids lighter than him. So, he needs to face it, he is black and even though he " bought and paid for" a white Swedish woman.