FashionSnob, Obamarama, PopCulturalist

I get it.

Next to Angelina Freakin’ Jolie, she’s one of the most photographed women in the world and she’s practically rubbing your nose in it by re-wearing her green Jimmy Choos and her favorite belt, rocking the J. Crew and random new kid designers and doesn’t have a stylist — just a loyal boutique owner — as her gate keeper. How dare she be … different, and not fawn all over the uptown crowd in the fashion industry.

Boo hoo, fashion industry. Boo hoo, for you.

Apparently the inevitable backlash of the (moneyed) fashionistas has begun. Nothing with names tied to it, of course (less they ruin their chances of getting the First Lady to don their frocks), but people are grumbling. Folks who used to be able to saunter right into the front door, bypassing everyone else, now must go through the same, slow pecking order whether you’re Kai Milla or Oscar de la Renta. Michelle O. doesn’t care. There is no fast track to lay hands on her body and dress her in finery.

You have to wait like everybody else and it has the IMPORTANT PEOPLE burning.

(B)ehind the scenes fashion industry figures are beginning to suggest that the First Lady’s prominence as a style pace setter is something of a double edged sword.

Designers, PRs and media commentators are united in the view that Mrs Obama has reignited popular interest in the fashion industry and given valuable publicity to previously obscure young American designers, like Mr Wu and Isabel Toledo, who designed Mrs Obama’s yellow inauguration day wear. Clothes by Maria Pinto have flown off the shelves after Mrs Obama wore them during television appearances and on the campaign trail.

But there is also concern that the First Lady’s determination to pick her own clothes, and mix expensive designer fare with high street brands like J. Crew (a mix and match approach on display in the Vogue photo shoot), does no favours to the established top end designers who expect women to pay thousands for a single outfit.

And beneath it all runs the fault line which informs everything the Obama family do in the public eye, the thorny issue of race. Put simply, many in the fashion trade are struggling to come to terms with a black woman as America’s leading style icon.

Amy Larocca, a fashion writer with New York magazine, an influential style arbiter, said: “There lurks an unspoken, uneasy relationship between the industry and its newest icon. The industry is overwhelmingly white, both in its makeup and its view of its customer.

“Not long ago, Stefano Pilati, the designer of Yves Saint Laurent, saw no problem [saying] that black models just don’t look right in his clothes. Vogue has only ever had five black celebrities on its cover.”

(Source: UK Telegraph)

Don’t hire this woman! She’s so beautiful people may notice your entire spring line is a sham!

Cry me a fucking river! Oh dear. Are these the SAME designers who wouldn’t hire black models like Chanel Iman, Denise Vasi, Noemie Lenoir, Naomi Campbell, Alex Wek, et al because they might “distract from the clothes?”

Because we’re that good looking, apparently. So gorgeous we can’t strut the catwalk lest someone’s rags look like rags by comparison. I call bull shit! Maybe your clothes are just U-G-L-Y and you have no albi. They’re ugly. Butt ugly.

And it doesn’t matter how light or dark the girls are. Some years you’re hard pressed to see a black model anywhere near a runway with the exception of maybe Campbell who is the Highlander of super models.

For years the fashion industry has lived in a fantasy world where all women were damn-near Nordic white, 5’11” and 110 lbs. Now we have a tall, super brown First lady who is athletic in her build and looks good in a paper sack and sacre bleu! What to do when you’ve ignored huge segments of planet earth for decades? Can you continue the ostrich with your head in the sand routine and continue to design pasty, dull heroin chic outfits for Kate Moss or can you dig it and stop treating black folks (as well as Asians and Latinas) as some sort of fashion modeling equivalent of “The Death Star” where your overpriced pieces of “art” go to die?

The article goes on to state that some, like the Council of Fashion Designers of America, are trying to talk the big wigs off the ledge, reminding them that despite Vogue’s Andre Leon Talley’s insistence, Michelle Obama cannot single-handily save their crappy industry in this recession.

Don’t make her a “false saviour of their business in troubled economic times,” they say.

But when you’re used to nothing getting between your Calvins and the White House, you’re bound to have an identity crisis.

“The way Michelle Obama dresses is not her stimulus package to the fashion industry.” (Kolb) said she would inspire “that working mother with kids who knows the big designer names but also shops at J. Crew and the Gap. She’s who they are.” But that has done little to calm some top name designers, who are used to making hugely expensive clothes for stick thin models and are ill at ease that Mrs Obama’s popularity has done little to boost sales of their most expensive items.

As Amy Larocca put it: “Michelle Obama seems poised to lead the fashion world to the promised land, where every woman can have great style. But for fashionistas, as of yet, that is a very confusing place to be.”

Mrs Obama’s difficult relationship with top name designers was laid bare last week when it emerged that Ikram Goldman, the Chicago-based boutique owner who helps organise the First Lady’s wardrobe, requested designs from industry legends for the inauguration week events and then never even told them their designs had not been selected. None of them had any contact with Mrs Obama, as is usual with First Ladies. They worked instead from measurements supplied by Ms Goldman.

Oscar de la Renta’s office told the New York Times they “never heard another word” after he sent 12 sketches. Carolina Herrera’s offerings were turned into nan outfit for the White House social secretary, but not for Mrs Obama. Other prominent designers, including Vera Wang, Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein and Ralph Rucci, were never approached at all.

Don’t hire these heifers either! The curse of the beautiful black model rides again!

If Michelle Obama convinces women that they don’t need to blow $10,000s of dollars on a clothing life style their bougie asses can’t really afford, bully for her. And if she convinces the industry that black biracial, Asian and Latina models shouldn’t be treated as some kind of freaks, even better. Until then, everyone else needs to take a long sip of STFU and start designing pants that are more flattering to us who have a derriere that is prominent whether at 110 lbs or 210 lbs.

Seriously, it is hard for a sister to buy a decent pair of pants.

Get crackin’, whiners.

28 thoughts on “Some Fashion Industry Insiders Are Whiny, Michelle Won’t Live Up to Their ‘Elitist’ Dreams

1. jazzypom says:

Do you Michelle. Do you. I find it refreshing that she’s rocking both low and high fashion. She’s already having me rethink my reaction to the colour pink.

2. NAGROM says:

My cousin Cassie Lewis (google her) is another black model out there who needs an opportunity to shine with the likes of Kate Moss and Gisele Bundchen.She is a gorgeous girl, inside and out, has a gregarious personality and has so much to offer outside of looks. She has covered magazines, been feautured in magazines such as Glamour, Teen Vogue, Vibe, Essence, Ebony, Elle, and others. Donald Trump selected her to be a his model judge in the Miss Universe contest of 2005, in Thailand. She is a true beauty, a classic beauty, somebody who has worked years in the modeling industry yet still is fighting to gain recognition. She has also appeared in macy commercials, Target is a regular client, she also did Avon and a had a Target billboard in Times Square. Although she is accomplished in her own right, I think that she deserves so much more.T

3. NAGROM says:

My cousin Cassie Lewis (google her) is another black model out there who needs an opportunity to shine with the likes of Kate Moss and Gisele Bundchen.She is a gorgeous girl, inside and out, has a gregarious personality and has so much to offer outside of looks. She has covered magazines, been featured in magazines such as Glamour, Teen Vogue, Vibe, Essence, Ebony, Elle, and others. Donald Trump selected her to be a his model judge in the Miss Universe contest of 2005, in Thailand. She is a true beauty, a classic beauty, somebody who has worked years in the modeling industry yet still is fighting to gain recognition. She has also appeared in Macy commercials, Target is a regular client, she also did Avon and a had a Target billboard in Times Square. Although she is accomplished in her own right, I think that she deserves so much more.Also, I’d love to add that she has met many of the models in your Great Wall of Sexy, Oluchi, Naomi, Chanel, I don’t know about Noemie, but they are all very beautiful black women who need more, they deserve more. Cassie is a beautiful, full black woman although she looks to have some kind of Asian heritage, both of her parents are black folks, people are shocked when they finf that out. Her mom and my mom are sisters, her mother is a beautiful reddish brown black woman, her father is light skinned, but a full black man all the same. She is a black woman through and through, people are shocked about that!!! They assume that to be as gorgeous as she is, she has to be biracial, FALSE. She is my cousin and that’s my family, I’ll do anything for her, she is a beautiful person. I think that she is what Hollywood needs right now, a genuine person, who knows how it feels to work your way up from the bottom. She has a beautiful spirit and i think that her presence in my life has helped me with my self-esteem issues, I KNOW black women are beautiful because when I look at Cassie or my mother, or my grandmother, or any of my aunts or cousins, I see beauty, when I look at myself I see BEAUTY.

4. Great post. Its funny that after years of ignoring Black folks now the fashion industry wants to cry foul that Michelle is ignoring them…I say step back. I love Michelle’s style, its refreshing.

5. NAGROM says:

I sent you a link with some of Cassie’s pictures from her portfolio. You can also just google her and you will see her Trump Managment model profile if you go to the agency’s website.

6. Palla says:

Boo freakin’ Hoo for the fashion industrythe fact that she is ignoring the big names makes me love her more…she is a normal woman, I have been taking cues from her fashion sense.

7. rikyrah says:

if they’re so big and bad, then go on the record, mofos. But, they are chicken #($*#, whining anonymously. Don’t pay them any mind, Michelle Obama. No mind. Great post, Snob.

8. I agree with Rikyrah. Go on the record and say what you feel. I like that Michelle (or her fashion gatekeeper) are given up and coming and overlooked designers a chance. I’m sick of hearing the same fashion houses name dropped left and right. It’s hilarious to me that a Black woman is shaking up an industry that is sooo stuck in the past. Go Michelle… with your JCrew rockin’ self!

9. I love it! They even wanted her to show up to New York Fashion Week when they know darn well that would have had the conservatives saying she’s an elitist because of the state of our present economy.From watching some of the fashion shows, I can see more models of color working than the last 20 years.Bryant Park even had it’s first runway show featruring African designers.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/fashion/15web-fashion.html?emhttp://mbfashionweek.com/newyork/fall2009/designers/thisday_arise_african_fashion_collective/

10. meech says:

Michelle Obama does what she wants with fashion and let the chips fall where they may. Women look at her, the First Lady, before they fawn over some skinny-ass model, though Tyra and Naomi are just plain model-gorgeous. But, Michelle’s choices, her body shape, her skin color are what they are and the fashion industry can just deal. That’s her attitude, I think. But what makes you think she doesn’t know that? You think she doesn’t know that her mix-and-match is what most American women do with their wardrobes and it drives the fashionistas nuts unless each accessory is $1000+ – for a belt!? I think it’s fabulous that she re-wears her clothes and remixes them. You think she doesn’t know that some of her choices accent ‘areas’ of the female body that the fashionistas want to pretend don’t exist? You think she doesn’t know that every time she puts on a designer dress she’s signaling the fashionistas that black women can, do, and will always look just as great in designer-wear as any white woman? She knows, she knows, she knows, believe me she knows. She’s too much in the public eye to not be aware of how she’s being covered by the media and the fashion world. She’s just saying, this is me, this is who I am, and this is what the world will see. In that sense, though Michelle Obama is truly exceptional, I think her style and choices reflects how alot of American women think about themselves and their clothes. The fashionistas’ time of lording over the American woman and how she dresses is just about over. It’s not Michelle’s job to be pimping $10,000 dresses when the First Lady represents all women. Michelle is telling us that we can look good and choose, depending on our budgets, to pay alot or a little but just put it together stylishly and well. It’s about time someone reflected American women in a good light instead of making us feel that unless we spend $5000 (Anna Wintour said that) we can’t possibly put one complete outfit together.

11. nonny says:

I’ll tell you what’s really strange to me. I live in NYC and on the streets you see gorgeous kids of all colors – black, white, yellow, brown – shopping together, having fun together, hooking up. This has been going on for some years now and that the fashion capital of the world doesn’t see it, and does not reflect it in their magazines says something very profound about them. They’re the ones with the uneasy relationship – with the world. If they want to know its not only a white world they just have to look out their windows. There’s no excuse for any of their racism towards Michelle Obama or any young models. I’ve lived in NYC for a long time and it’s something I’ve never understood, but alot is going to change. Just watch.

12. willet784 says:

Oh, the IRONY. You can cut the irony of this situation like slices of cake and nourish a developing nation for years to come. After repudiating the idea of black models for the last eight years or so–the diss seemed to have started since our previous decider–now the presumed savior of the fashion industry is the most powerful woman in the world, who happens to be black, and she is rejecting all the powerful fashion taste makers. I never knew schadenfreude could be so sweet. Call the wahhhhambulance and let ’em eat cake. A tall, amazonian woman, who could have been a model–who they would have refused–is now telling them to shove it. You know, people from my neck of the woods always say, "The foot you stomp on today might be attached to the behind you have to kiss tomorrow." Wow, just wow.

13. Andrea says:

I noticed on the first day of school in DC, the girls were dressed like "children used to dress" when I grew up. Our parents were not into all that fashion for school. I loved her Malia rocked the ethnic hairstyles and looked so understated. Too many young girls I see on the trains and in my hood look like they walked out of music videos but to listen to them speak, it kills you. They are the underclass and no one will tell them eventhough they look like the current visual trend. The Obamas have done right by their kids and I admire them for these choices to raise brains instead of fashion plates. And this is cousin to my long-term issue with the Black Communities crave for fashion. Eventhough I sold t-shirts and totes and hats, I had to keep telling people it was not a fashion line. People would hear what I said and still continue to reference it as a clothing line. I started to learn how limited our people are in understanding nuance. I wanted it to be a fashion line of items in social innovation but not a "fashion line" because a fashion line robs us by giving us things we don’t need in fashion. That’s the deception. We need clothes to cover us and we need clothing for particular occasions (work, family outings, special events). We don’t need trends that eat our money. And I this is what the fashion industry is wanting to exploit Michelle and her family for.I do not support the outcry of needing more Black Models. We need more Black industrialists, scientists, mathematicians, architects. When I visited colleges a few years ago, it seemed like everyone majored in marketing and communications. Everyone wanted to "exploit" and sell images OWNED BY SOMEONE ELSE and push them on the American people. I remember that time I led the SGA Prexy of Southern at Baton Rouge through what I called my "Essence Test". I asked him to go through the magazine from the first page to the last and tell me which ads were Black-owned businesses. He got so many ads wrong because in the particular issue there was only 4 Black-owned companies until we reached the last few pages to the 1/8 of a page sized ads. He was defected. He was disillusioned. He did not know why no one was teaching young Black people about the issue. I told him that our people are incestuous. We pick campaigns that will support our further exploitation because the systems give us jobs. We will sell our people out to get ahead (i.e. exactly what L. Londell McMillan said about his own peers in the entertainment industry).I do know a woman that quit her job in the record industry to work at her church in NYC because she felt so dirty after years of her assistance in the exploitation. I know another woman that created a non-profit policy group that goes up against record companies and radio stations (especially Radio One) because of the same thing. We see this but most Blacks don’t want to make an issue because that is how they have reached the middle-class in their lives. When I would lead discussions with GenY college students I would find out how much they did not know about their own people. Black young women would not know Patricia Fields who really spearheaded the stylist profession is not the original fashion stylist of quirky clothes. It was regular nameless Black women that could not afford a full outfit by one designer and would buy one designer piece and have to tweak it. Lisa Bonet’s character of Denise even pre-existed before Patricia Field’s Sex and the CIty magic. I would talk to students to find out they did not even know about Reconstruction and how many of our businesses failed from terrorism and how even around the King Holiday, Blacks complained that Corporate America did not support us in using us to advertise. Those complaints only opened up a floodgate of exploitation. At first Corporate America did not want to use us to advertise and then when they finally did they learned that it like hitting a goldmine. They pay the one model and maybe the stylist or Black executive teaching them how to frame "cooning" commercials and advertisements. Only a few Black people get paid for the millions and billions of dollars reaped from us spending on their products when we won’t even support our own businesses which could employ more. Please.So no…I don’t support the cry for Black models. And I damn sure don’t support the crying wolf by young Black men that run to the fashion industry for further exploitation. It is where a lot of fatherless young men run to to think they are contributing to society. It is where a lot of sexually exploited young men go to become hookers under the guise of the fashion. It is where a lot of young people that purposedly did not want to invest in being educated run to so they can hope to fulfill their superficial dreams of being famous or even worse in deepest sincerity, they hope that the world will love them because they need the affirmation. It’s deep. I met so many college students, male and female, that were obsessed with fashion and would think because I was selling shirts that I was like them. I kept telling them and trying to teach them of what I was doing in social enterprise but all they wanted to hear was what they wanted to hear. It was like they did not hear me say that it was not fashion eventhough I used fashion colors or graphics. They were so underdeveloped to understand dimensions. They only understood the immediate gratification society value sets and for me, I was a fashion designer. I just shook my head.I have watched so many people in Atlanta think that their redemption is in being cute and fashionable. I have seen here in DC and Atlanta obsessed with fashion but not be able to really engage in intense applications that require a developed mind. I used to be into fashion in my late teens and early twenties but it still was comparable to how it is now. I wasted so much money hoping to be affirmed in having people tell me I was pretty or tell me they like my outfit or worse, hope that someone sweated me. People need to realize what the fashion industry does to our people. Even the celebrity watching. It’s all poisonous and manufactured manipulation to keep us stupid and broke (fiscally, mentally, and spiritually).

14. KarenZ says:

I find it passing strange that the big name designers possess such a sense of entitlement concerning the First Lady. Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton did not often appear in elite designers’ RTW (and certainly not their couture), but I cannot recall hearing any complaints. Granted those ladies did not have the innate sense of style that Mrs. O has, but had they been interested I’m sure the designers would have dressed them beautifully — like Nancy Reagan, for example. The Bryant Park crowd sounds like a bunch of whiners, frightened at Mrs. O’s impact on fashion, along with the effects of the recession. In addition, probably some of them are just getting even for Ikram’s really inexcusable rudeness. She really should have treated them with more courtesy; it doesn’t take much time to say, sorry, we’ve decided to go in a different direction.As for the black models, the fashion houses’ behavior is inexcusable — and in some cases maybe illegal. It’s hard to believe that anyone would specify "no blacks" in this day and age. Really inexcusable.

15. dkan71 says:

@ Yvonne. Thanks for the links to those articles. Not to get too far off on a tangent, but in the mbfashionweek article, isn’t the model pictured third from the right in the top row, wearing the sparkly black pants suit, Nnenna from America’s Next Top Model?

16. Lady M says:

cosign willet. I hope Michelle keeps doing her own thing. She knows what it’s like to live on a budget, being a mother, a wife, taking care of her family. It’s not as if the Obamas’ hail from riches, these fashion designers have to remember that. She’s just doing as she’s always done, only difference is that now, people are watching.

17. Andrea says:

I think the fashion industry wishes Michelle was simply another "desperate" Black woman that feeds off of fashion and the fakery of their sudden interest in her. To them, they thought it would be an easy con, "Show a desperate, attention-starved and incomplete Black woman some attention" and get her to work for them for free. They pull this all the time even on their own. But people that prey know us better than we know ourselves. They know if they throw us a bone, we will be loyal when it is them pulling the strings and still making us chase them. Who’s zoomin’ whom? Obviously Michelle is game to play it this way. It’s mind-control. The fashion industry would make her feel affirmed and they take credit that she is so smart for choosing them when they chased her to get her to affirm them. Usually Black women are not in that position of power. LMAOROTHF! We’ve always been slaves to fashion since colonial slavery with us not wanting to wear the rags we had to wear. We wanted to look spiffy like our masters. And after slavery, we wanted to look like what we interpreted free men and women of substance, our masters, looked like. That socialization is part of our phenotype now. One would think it is in our genotype in how so many of us are slaves to fashion. That formulation in slave mentality motivated us into a deviant craving that seems to never be satisfied. One would think we are still in on living plantations. We are.Usually our peer sex and even our males too crave the attention and the desire to be manipulated. It’s really gotten shameful of how men and boys are sissy-fied and addicted like girls and women into fashion and wanting to be seen. Straight guys don’t know how to fix shit or perform as men but they know fashion. What kind of shit is that? What has happened to us? And the Black teenage boys are worse. I saw one boy steal a White lady’s purse and Ipod. He mugged her in broad daylight and he was running with four shopping bags wearing white skinny jeans, white sneakers, and a purple t-shirt. It’s bad. I think we accept and defend fashion because it is the easy route to seeming like we belong and our accepted but we don’t want to admit how it controls us and destroys us.I noticed how Donatella would drape so many White actresses for free and then she chose Halle to be a spokesmodel one year. People need to one realize that that the industries chase the hot celebrities to get them to wear their shit and then influence others to spend the outrageous prices. With so much focus on spending on others and being distracted, our own businesses can’t grow into industries. And like industrialists, we prohibit one industry building an off-shoot of another industry. There is no excuse that we reamin distracted by such needs for affirmation. We have to mature. We need to suck it up.It’s a crazy position to be in. If you don’t look "right", the public will tear you apart for looking dowdy to them when you really look fine and presentable. The public assists the mania and the mind-fucks that perpetuates you worrying about looking acceptable. The fashion industry depends on people to have low self-esteems, low intelligence, and shallow, self-destructive egos. The industry wants their pawns to be rather broken.I think all the whining is an intimidation tactic to shame Michelle into allowing them to use her. And I think they are trying to intimidate her stylist. Their Mean Girl high school ways of keeping people out has finally caught up with them.I watched the CEO of our organization dress and she wears the same suits over and over again. They are expensive suits but they are the same suits. She is not a slave to fashion as none of my co-workers are but a Black woman who just Friday I had to chastize about wanting to buy something, she is. I noticed pictures of Barack wtih holes in the bottom of his shoes when he had just made millions on his books and appearances. I think The Obamas are just not going to be slaves to things that don’t matter or could jeopardize their family’s finances. Most parents consume so much they don’t save and they teach their children to spend that it affects even their children’s socialized habits. Sometimes their habits jeopardize their children’s future. They have nothing to give their children because they spent it away.A former co-worker whom is a Black woman once laughed at a Black actress wearing a BeBe dress to an affair. The photo was on the internet. I said to my co-worker that that was all she could afford. I didn’t think it was funny because I saw how she was at a premiere trying to keep her name out there was barely making it but she smiled like it was all good. Instead of going to college or community college or the military, she wanted to be an actress and that was the life she was living in reality. It was hard and not as glamourous eventhough the fellow peers at the event had on more expensive clothing. I knew the truth as well as others in the industry that almost everyone at the premiere was a paycheck away from destitution but they won’t speak out against the machines they are slaves to (hoping for that lucky break to fulfill their American Dream). The co-worker just assumed that the actress was one, paid, and two, she thought actresses all were given dresses. I told her that only the Nicole Kidmans and Penelope Cruz types–not Black actresses are given wardrobes–not simple single dresses by famed designers. Maybe Kerry Washington gets free frocks; I presume Beyonce, Rihanna, Oprah, Halle, and Tyra get tons of free frocks. And if they were given frocks, it was after they hit A-list status. Like now, I expect Taraji to be receiving some free clothes and other swag but the free clothing will stop after the Oscars’ airdate. Black people in the entertainment industry or wanting to be don’t discuss "the business" where the fashion industry and entertainment industry is combined. If you talk, you are a traitor. The magazines are in it too. The networks are in on it too. Even the copy-cats depend on it. (My cousin told me that they (her brother’s hip-hop clothing line) would by a pair of designer pants in every size and rip the seams to copy the style and create patterns. That is how it works.) Industries are parasites. But I did love when Kimora dressed the Sistahs in her frocks. She knows no fashion house pays attention to the B-list and obscure Black actresses. Kimora knows. And Kimora had faith to put Sistahs in her couture line. She just did not go after chasing Lindsay Lohan or what’s-her-face-of-the-moment. Still it is business for Kimora too. It’s free advertising to get those frocks on a live body that a paparrazzi or photojournalist will photograph and sell to media who them will publish and we will buy a publication and/or then buy the original or knock-off. So many people get paid. The model who wears it usually gains only in having a free frock, if they don’t have to give it back. But still the experience does not guarantee a new gig in a new contract or development. It’s a risk for the model to be exploited from the start to the end eventhough they would have saved money. The models co-opts their face and their brand to save money and feel affirmed for a moment.Michelle knows their systems and she knows Black people need and probably read her coded language by example of her actions to not fall for it. We are in a scary economic period and our people need to save instead of volunteering to continue to be exploited right now.

18. RNLA says:

The fashion industry as well as TV and film industry is all about continuing the illusion that white is the most beautiful and it is not. While things are changing (slowly) Whites in the various image industries need to address their continued need to feel superior. It has nothing to do with us as people of colour it is for them to deal with and address. We need to just keep doing us and maybe they will hop on board or get the f**k left behind.Great post as usual.

19. Lili says:

Thanks for your informative post Andrea^^^. It’s funny how we do not always look at the other side of things. Way to go DB! You go girl, Michelle! Please, never change.

20. emma says:

Here’s an idea Fashion Industry: Go out and find some hot black chicks who actually are models to wear your damn clothes. They are all over the place, the US, Europe, Africa, the Caribbean and Brazil. Seriously, there’s no shortage of black beauty as you have been told on numerous occations.

21. Spinster says:

This is one of the MANY reasons why I HATE the fashion industry. I couldn’t even finish reading your entry Snob (of course not because of you). Ridiculous. How elitist and shallow and bourgeoisie. Don’t get me started. :-/

22. Christy Mair says:

Hi, I met Cassie Lewis when I lived in Fort Walton Beach, FL. I agree with her cousin, she is beautiful inside and out. I have also met her Auntie, Frankie, her grandmother and other family members. She comes from a wonderful supportive family and I hope her career continues in the modeling industry as I know she has much to offer. It’s funny, every time I use to see Cassie, she was always complementing me on my style and fashion sense. I just looked and wonder why….she is the beautiful model, not me. I know I try to keep myself up and her compliments credits just how sweet she really is and of course her ability to recognize great style. I have seen her in magazines and a few billboards and hope to see more of her as I think she truly deserves to grace someone’s magazine. Also, Ms. Obama is a wonderful mother, wife and role-model. I wish her all the BEST and continued Blessings. I am happy she is our first lady.

23. I think for finding video or musics you must use special search engines. Rapidshare Search Engine is important to make searching in rapidshare easy and comfortable.

24. Marie L says:

Cassie Lewis IS beautiful 🙂 "her father is light skinned, but a full black man all the same." That isn't true. I am a cousin on his side and he definitely has some Caucasian ancestors. Most Americans do. In the end, it doesn't matter, she is a lovely girl inside and out and should not be valued nor devalued based on her race.

25. Caribees says:

I love the First Lady's independence in her fashion choices. Her modern, accessible look is to her credit. Who needs the old snotty crown when you can blaze a style of your own, form new relationships, and change the World in the process!!!I am totally loving it!

26. B says:

Your kidding me with the Cassie Lewis comment! She wassssss a beautiful model, now she's just a knocked up NFL beauty. I thought she had class, but getting with the likes of Gibril Wilson and having his baby, was the worst career move in black model history, at least Naomi, and Tyra, and Beverly, and Iman, and Chanel, date real money. She got with a low life NFL thug, who doesn't even work. Good luck getting your career back baby girl! Good luck!