Obamarama

Obama Throws Down Oratory Gauntlet on Stimulus

President Barack Obama had a few words over the stimulus Thursday and a Democratic retreat in Virginia. He grabbed the Bully Pulpit and shook hit hard, perhaps hoping some compromise would break out. Instead, it became an off-the-cuff, verbal smackdown of his opposition.

A fired-up Barack Obama ditched his TelePrompter to rally House Democrats and rip Republican opponents of his recovery package Thursday night – at one point openly mocking the GOP for failing to follow through on promises of bipartisanship.

In what was the most pointedly partisan speech of his young presidency, Obama rejected Republican arguments that massive spending in the $819 billion stimulus bill that passed the House should be replaced by a new round of massive tax cuts.

“I welcome this debate, but we are not going to get relief by turning back to the same policies that for the last eight years doubled the national debt and threw our economy into a tailspin,” said President Obama – sounding more like Candidate Obama than at any time since he took the oath of office less than a month ago.

Obama, speaking to about 200 House Democrats at their annual retreat at the Kingsmill Resort and Spa, dismissed Republican attacks against the massive spending in the stimulus.

“What do you think a stimulus is?” Obama asked incredulously. “It’s spending — that’s the whole point! Seriously.”

(Source: Politico)

10 thoughts on “Obama Throws Down Oratory Gauntlet on Stimulus

1. Danielle any chance you can resize your page so that it comes up within normal browser limits. For me I find the page wide and need to scroll sideways to see it all. This was not the case before you moved and I think it also may affect page rank. I care or I would keep my big mouth shut. Cheers, S

2. Tina says:

YES! President Obama needs to be more bold and forceful to repair the mess this country’s in. It just seems a different tactic needs to be used to get the GOP’s attention. He’s making every effort to negotiate and the Republicans aren’t willing to compromise. This country is in dire economic times and he’s sending a message to the Republicans as well as the american public, something needs to be done immediately!

3. Andrea says:

When I saw the replay on the news this morning, I just stood in awe in front of the television. I watched it and marveled. I am not even an Obama fan. But I understood the significance evenmore than the people who weeped on Inauguration Day. I was basking with pride to be able to see a Black Man "put it down" and assert aggression without being considered "angry". I loved it! I just wish a Black Woman could be afforded that opportunity too without having to be coined, The Bitch.I have heard from several locals in DC that the Black congresswomen are/were tough and it was known that characteristically Cynthia McKinney and Maxine Waters would not care how about looking assertive when they grinded through the bullshit that was simply politics as well as sexism and racism thrown in there. But we are not afforded that property to own. Seeing Barack flex ferociously with passion like that, I am seeing a paradigm shift and hopefully will break. When I think about how LBJ would use him towering height to loom and intimidate, I want to see Obama do the same. I want him to have transparent opportunities to see him assert a use of force if need be. Black people need to see that because we, in Corporate America, know not to get out of our place. However we need to see the paradigm shift from a rumble that can knock the paradigm over the edge to crash. Obama is not neck-rolling but he is emotional. This is one time people can see that because we exert passion when we exert, it does not mean we are threatening. As well so many scared Blacks need to see a Black Person rightfully and sometimes righteously assert their platform without doubt of how they will be perceived later.This is major and yet the media is not look at the social impact. I wish W.E.B. and Freddy D. could see this. I wish Martin and Malcolm could see it. Bayard, Asa, Franz, Patrice, and all the women who were tortured with knowing they had to walk a thin line of knowing how to not be perceived as angry and difficult or those that even gave up caring but had their reputations painted unfairly because they asserted with forceful passion. Too many Black People have been neutered and sanitized out of fear of being misunderstood as angry, threatening, and simply being all things bad.I get the significance of Obama being able to lose it and let go. It makes me exhale. I just wish our giants could see what they deserve recognition for. They took the risks so we could scream if want to.

4. Sun Tan Malibu Black says:

Word up, Andrea! Seeing that made me so proud. His delivery was cool, classy and had such clarity.Truth be told, I was finding Obama too accomodating to people/GOP who were not respecting his title as POTUS. I was wondering if he would ever stop playing it safe. You know how earlier generations explain what it was like to see a character like Shaft for the first time or what it was like to witness Sidney Poitier slapping that man right back without hesitation or apology in "The Heat of The Night"? Well, with Obama’s response (minus the violence) I think I came away with the same feeling. I hope this ushers in a new sense of expression for our people.

5. emma says:

He wasn’t playing it safe you guys. It’s called the "rope a dope". Obama is the Ali of politics. If you don’t know what the rope a dope is, look it up and you’ll realize that Obama did this all throughout his campaign. He lets his opponent wear him/herself out hiting him and then he came in with the knock out punch. He was nice to the GOP, they rejected his outreach and now he get’s to beat their asses all over the place. They can’t complain with any credibiltiy because we all saw them go the Limbaugh/Hannity route. He set them up by letting them think he was soft. He offered bi-partisanship and they gave him back obstruction. Now he can run roughshot over them and the American people will be with him because we saw it all play out on TV.

6. Tonya says:

Yes Ma’am Emma!!!! I thought I was the only one that saw what he was doing. Obama truly got game. He is not POTUS because he is some milly mouth biracial Negroe.

7. emma says:

@tonyaWe aren’t the only one’s who see it. Obama is taking airtime from the networks next week and even going to visit some states for townhall meetings. As long as he goes over the media (who are afraid of the GOP like they have battered wife syndrome) and directly to the American people, they will stay with him. They expect him to be a gentleman, but not to let the GOP keep him from doing what they sent him to Wahington to do. They know "change" means some ass whopping. He won by treating people like they were adults and knew what was up, so he shouldn’t stop now.