Uncategorized

Fear of A Black First Lady: Oh, Juan!

Don’t you love it when pundits just pull shit out of their ass?

More after the jump!

During the January 26 edition of Fox News’ The O’Reilly Factor, NPR news analyst and Fox News political contributor Juan Williams again baselessly attacked first lady Michelle Obama, claiming that “her instinct is to start with this ‘blame America’ … stuff.” Williams asserted that “[i]f you think about liabilities for President [Barack] Obama that are close to him — [Vice President] Joe Biden’s up there — but Michelle Obama’s right there.” Williams continued: “[S]he’s got this Stokely Carmichael-in-a-designer-dress thing going. If she starts talking, as [Townhall Magazine contributor and Weekly Standard contributing blogger] Mary Katharine [Ham] suggested, her instinct is to start with this ‘blame America,’ you know, ‘I’m the victim.’ If that stuff starts to come out, people will go bananas, and she’ll go from being the new Jackie O to being something of an albatross.”

Williams provided no evidence for the claims that Michelle Obama’s “instinct” is to “blame America” or be “the victim,” nor did he provide examples of her having “this Stokely Carmichael-in-a-designer-dress thing going.” Additionally, Williams did not provide any evidence that she could be a “liabilit[y]” or an “albatross” for Obama. Ham also smeared Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, saying of Michelle Obama: “[S]he’s got to not drop sound bites like she did during the campaign that were not helpful to her husband, because, frankly, if you want to be an unpleasant, heavy-handed first lady, you’re going to — well, you’ll end up like Hillary Clinton.”

As Media Matters for America documented, Williams previously claimed that Michelle Obama sometimes uses “this kind of militant anger.” During the August 25, 2008, edition of Fox News’ America’s Newsroom, referring to Michelle Obama’s then-upcoming speech at the Democratic National Convention, Williams claimed: “Well, she’s got to be herself, but I do not think she can go for it all out in terms of this kind of militant anger that she sometimes uses, you know. She can be, it seems, rather cynical or dismissive of people,” adding, “I don’t think she wants to get anywhere near the race issue, anywhere near the militance issue.” Williams gave no examples of what he claimed to be “this kind of militant anger” that Michelle Obama “sometimes uses.”

Don’t make Michelle Obama angry, Juan sez. You wouldn’t like her when she’s angry, Juan sez. And Juan bases this on … um, trumped up press over a billion-year-old college paper? That “proud of America” statement? The joke cover of the New Yorker where she’s dressed like a paramilitary Angela Davis?

Oh, Juan! You’re like the Bill Kristol of FOX Sunday. You know? When the real Bill Kristol isn’t there.

(Source: Media Matters)

36 thoughts on “Fear of A Black First Lady: Oh, Juan!

1. Noelani says:

Juan is at it again! He wants so much to be liked. Self-hating fool, how soon do those inauguration crocodile tears dry up, eh Juan?

2. nonny says:

He’s the Bill Kristol of NPR is what he is, and they should fire his ass for his stupid, uninformed comments. NPR calls itself liberal radio? HAH! Fire him and prove it.

@ Noelani and NonnyI think Juan, like a lot of pundits, is desperate for the Obamas to do something zany. Like announce immediate slavery for all white folk or something, and they keep doing dull things like trying to fix the economy and going to National Prayer Services.Juan NEEDS Michelle to be crazy. My word. What will he have to talk about if she just, you know, acts like HERSELF and talks about being a mother and wife and how she wants to help military families and the DC school system?How boring! Isn’t she going to start having brunches with Farrakhan now? Start bashing "The Man," even though, technically, she is married to "The Man."

4. Zion says:

Juan Williams is a typical self-hating black Republican. Please before I get blasted, I am a black Republican myself and I am tired of black Republicans being warriors against the black race for their white counterparts. The Republican party is the party of Douglass who fought for blacks to educate themselves not so that they can be used by the white man to stigmatize their own people, but so that they can preach the gospel of education and self-preservation. Too many black Republcians are choosing to use their voices as a tool to soothe the broken egos of white America. My Michelle is not just a mother, but she has her Juris Doctorate which really angers the typical Fox Viewer, white males who believed that somehow America is rightfully theirs simply because they are breathing. If anyone has played the victim role, who has done it more effectively than white men? I don’t hear Juan speaking about the fact that white men attribute President Obama’s success not to his impressive resume, but instead to his race. I don’t hear Juan discussing "The Magin Negro" song. I don’t hear Juan discussing pictures released in the south of Michelle being lynched by white men. Come on Juan. Don’t be angry that you are still in the same position in life even after you have sold your soul while President Obama and Michelle remained steadfast, and unmoveable. I guess in his sort of world there is only room for one type of negro.

5. rikyrah says:

WTF?WTF, I ask again.STOKELEY CARMICHAEL?You know what? He needs his ass beat. Plain and simple. Ray Ray and Junebug need to beat his ass. He has no PROOF whatsoever for the f-ing lies he sprouts about Michelle Obama.Ain’t nobody followed The First Lady the way that I have, and I wanna see his proof. I wanna see what he’s basing his lies upon. BEAT. HIS.ASS.

6. Lady M says:

this man should be ashamed of himself. When are black people like Juan Williams going to realized that no matter how much you hate on yourself, no matter how much you insult your own people, you are not going to be white. EVER. You are not one of the them and you never will be. Seeking self acceptance with whites is not the way to go. This asshole needs to shut the hell up, selling black folks out like this. White people know this and they use him for it. Dr. Watkins even called him a happy negro on CNN… which he is.

7. Winn says:

I just think it’s funny the way Juan thinks that anyone is going to swallow his supposed apolitical stance on NPR when he trots out claptrap like that on Fox, which he has been a shill for for years. Even his contributions on NPR are very much in that "I’m gonna coast on my Eyes on the Prize bona fides while I throw my own community under the bus to show how post-racial I am". His "I breathe the rarified air of the Talented Tenth and I don’t know why you other black people are so angry and always making excuses" schtick makes me want to hurl. Stop pretending, Juan. You’re fooling no one, except maybe yourself.

8. JJ says:

I won’t call Juan self hating because I’ve seen him defend Barack a lot of times on Fox News (yes I watch Fox News lol), but he was way off with that comment.

9. NAGROM says:

Bill O’Reily had to interupt him and defend the First Lady, WOW. Juan Williams needs to be slapped, I can’t stand him, he also hates President Obama. I don’t want to hear any more of this, I can honestly say that I am proud that Bill O’Reily atleast stopped this bumbling fool from further insulting our First Lady.

10. NAGROM says:

Ok, I should take back my last comment about Juan Williams needing to be slapped, I just think that he should go to therapy, he needs professional help.

11. Once upon a time when Juan was just on NPR (talk of the nation) I thought the brotha was ok….clearly he done lost his mind. I’m with Rikyrah, lets hook him up some with cats that can show him the way back to sanity.

12. Watching the video Juan is showing his "ignorance" and ignorance is color blind. You can be black, white or whatever it doesn’t really matter talking like an ass, makes you an ass. It sounds as though his roots have turned "green" to shill what his handlers want others to hear.As for some of the other comments, I am white and from where I stand Michelle Obama has shown nothing but class for the past year and deserves better than what the press and media are portraying her as. She is a well educated person, who worked her ass off to get where she is. I would rather have her be my defense counsel or have her work or to represent my interests than many lawyers regardless of their color, gender, etc. She is threatening to most of the establishment because she speaks her mind and is able to defend her position with facts not just emotion and flawed arguments.People like Juan have given themselves over to the "other" side…the side that doesn’t care about most people — regardless of race as long as they keep theirs.I am a fan of Michelle Obama and wish her well in her leadership position for this Country – She could be a very powerful first lady if she uses her position the way I believe she will.Harold Shaw

13. GreenTeaLush says:

What’s wild to me about Juan Williams, is that he seems to have a pms/identity crisis a couple times a month. One day he’s going "my black brothers and sisters worked hard and deserve positive representation" and the next day he’s making Michelle sound like the biggest landmine President Obama has to watch out for. He’s confused and has lost himself inside the intellectualism of black issues-meets-politics. His inability to successfully distinguish Michelle’s education and well-deserved out-spokenness (yea I just made that up) from some general "All black women want to be victims" is testament to the fact that he’s mired in a serious identity crisis. The truth of the matter is, that’s most often the case with black "elite intellectuals" (Disclaimer, I would consider myself part of the "educated at prestigious school black intellectual"). There’s a sort of disconnect between the book savvy intellectual and the intellectual who is in touch with the community (however many definitions of "black community" we want to come up with). Most don’t know how to deal with being out of touch with the people they are told they should relate to – so black becomes "other" and it’s much easier to adopt the oppressive mindset. Exhibit A: Mr. Juan Williams.

14. Rikyrah….Can we beat the mofo’s arse together?It’s shameful how it’s been a week and Juan & his retrograde buddies at Fox feel the need to demonize the First Lady because they ain’t got no other cards to play.None. Laura Bush sat up there and propped up George W.’s lying butt but these mofos are going to demonize First Lady Michelle Obama?Where the phuck is my Vaseline?

15. starrie says:

where does fox find these silly negros from? i will gnaw my paw off first before i side with someone like juan..if he is the voice of the black republican party? no thanks….

16. The A says:

"Stokley Carmichael in a dress"Williams is a dumbassspeaking of asses, do we know if said dress is made by a black designer?

17. Steady says:

For those who want to know, the First Lady has already indicated that she will focus on her children and the nation’s children during her time in the White House. Her major focus will be the youths of the US and throughout the world. Laura Bush had Literacy; Michelle Obama will focus on youths.As for that misguided hypocrit Juan Williams on Fox network with O’Reilly–God hates ugly. Juan W sure was ugly in that clip. We’ll see how long they keep sticking a mic up his face.

18. texascowgirl says:

LOL! Bill O looked like John McCain when that crazy woman called Obama an Arab at his campaign rally. Juan acts like he asked Michelle out on a date and she turned him down or something. Or maybe he just hates black women. Either way whoever wants to beat his ass, I’m down. I guess Fox figured out that any attacks on Michelle will have to be carried ou by one of the resident house Negroes. So said.

19. Poor Juan. He is so confused.I remember the writer Jill Nelson ripping him a new one in her book Volunteer Slavery. She was not a fan when they worked together at the Washington Post. The sad thing is sometimes he does make sense and I think brother Williams has a point. Then he goes off the deep end.

20. Kem says:

Sounds like a little hateration going on to me, but do we expect anything different from FIXed news? Of course she’s angry, she is a black woman. Isn’t that what we do according to "them." They need to get over themselves and let Michelle do Michelle which I think she will be great doing.Just because a woman does not ball up in a corner and look meek, she’s angry. WHATEVER!

21. Haha says:

Being the black Libertarian that I am, II would take the Stokely Carmichael in a dress comment as a compliment. Although I know it was meant to be an insult. I don’t see why people view Michelle Obama as militant. I guess all liberal black women who dare to acknowledge the role that race plays in American Society are viewed as this by some?

22. Mildred Lewis says:

Lest we forget. Some potential perspective on Juan Williams and gender. This was awhile ago and things may have changed but he may also still have issues with women. "At the liberal Washington Post, 50 female employees came forward, some to accuse Williams of verbal sexual harassment, others to press management to punish or fire him. "It pained me to learn during the investigation that I had offended some of you," wrote Williams in an open letter of apology reported in the Washington Post on November 2, 1991. "I have said so repeatedly in the last few weeks, and repeat here: some of my verbal conduct was wrong, I now know that, and I extend my sincerest apology to those whom I offended. I have committed to Post management, and I commit to you — and to myself — to change my ways.""

23. Court says:

I don’t think it’s that Bill O’ Rielly is defending Mrs. Obama, I think he doesn’t have to bash her himself since he’s got his hand up Juan’s ass working him like a puppet to do it for him. Now he get’s to look like the good guy.@ Zion, you hit the nail right on the head.

24. Anonymiss says:

How are these self-loathing Black Republican puppets able to live with themselves? I’m not of the mindset that every Black person is my brotha and sista; still, I couldn’t imagine trumping up racial stereotypes to entertain White supremacists either.

25. MissCass says:

The thing that gets me is that Michelle Obama hasn’t uttered a word or statement that isn’t commonly heard in the Black community. It makes me question just how far away from the community that Juan has strayed, or if he has any real sense of the African American experience at all. I don’t expect him to agree with the things that she allegedly said, but this pseudo shock has got to go. It’s not uncommon to hear these so-called militant statements, and not uncalled for, either. He should know better, or know how to explain it better to idiots who are unfamiliar with it like O’Reilly. I would expect O’Reilly to be clueless, but Juan can’t play that game and still be taken seriously. Michelle’s statement are pretty mainstream Black American, and Juan probably knows that. And when the Rev. Wright controversey blew up, a lot of people in the hood didn’t see what the big deal was with regards to what Wright had said; nor did they have an issue with it until the media went postal and tried to pin it on Obama. That’s when it became a problem. And that’s something Juan needs to acknowledge instead of making Michelle out to be some sort of fringe leftwing nut.