Uncategorized

FYI: Michelle Obama Was Fashionably “Made”

I was right about Michelle Obama’s latest outfit being a throwback. Thanks to intrepid Snob reader and Michelle fan, Nonie, we now know that Michelle sought the 1950s chic of a certain critically acclaimed cable TV show, considered the epitome of cool.

The first lady wore a Tracy Feith retro-inspired dress to the church service. The dress, which Feith calls “Yoka Yoka Garden,” looks like a vintage frock pulled from the costume department of TV’s Mad Men, with its slim bodice, full skirt and three-quarter sleeves. The floral print on a black cotton fabric features a pattern of greens, lavenders and white cranes with a bit of gold.

“We were so, so, so surprised,” Katarine Carminatti, who manages the Feith boutique in downtown Manhattan, said today.

The dress, from Feith’s fall 2008 collection, is still available in his New York boutiques. It costs $720.

Source: The Baltimore Sun

12 thoughts on “FYI: Michelle Obama Was Fashionably “Made”

1. SDG says:

Even though I don’t dig that dress, I love the fact that she’s picking American up and coming or not very well known designers. She’s carving out her own space and I will always respect that. She’s not following, she’s leading whether I like what she wears or not. That’s Grown! lol

2. Kells says:

I like the dress. If it had a lower waist it would be perfect. But I just LOOOOVE the way he’s looking at her in that picture!

3. I have much love for Mrs. O but that dress was positively heinous and not at all flattering. Those flats were equally as bad…perhaps the dress would have appeared less dowdy had she worn a pair of fly high heels.

4. rikyrah says:

Don’t like the dress. FInding out that it cost over seven hundred bucks – blech.Plus always for the American designer. I’m sure there’s a woman for whom those types of dresses is their style, and they love it. That woman is not me.

5. Layo G says:

I happen to LOVE the dress!! its vintage appeal is LOVELY!!!!!as for the heels, let’s not forget she had a LONGGG day before, she deserves to wear flats but i love it anyways

6. mark says:

Not only did I hate that dress, but I thought it was totally inappropriate for the church service. Even one of her J. Crew skirt and cardigan numbers would have been more appropriate.

7. sandra says:

My take is that Michelle enjoys accessories more than "dress". I think she shows that she could give less than a d—what people think. She is her own person. If you’re really into fashion following it may be better to watch the girls! I’m so proud of Michelle and what she has achieved that "externals" like "being sharp" doesn’t mean anything to me. She’s never looked bad to me. I think that brief period of the so-called Jackie-o was a test and it was not well received by the status quo, in this type of economy. I like her in classics more; but because of her intelligence and spirit she can wear any dress and still looks good to me. I look at the content of the character and not the external trappings; I know many who have the "look" but nohting meaningful in regard to public service. I have faith in Michelle’s decisions.

8. elle7 says:

I LOVE THAT THE FIRST LADY IS GIVING LESSER KNOWN DESIGNERS A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY , MY FIRST QUESTION IS HOW DO I GET SOMETHING TO HER ? I AM A TALENTED DESIGNER ALSO ,CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME ? i WANT TO PUT IT IN HER HAND NOT TO BE PLACED ON A DESK SOMEWHERE ?WHO ARE HER STYLIST ?, I THOUGHT SHE DIDNT HAVE ONE? HELP PLEASE ! LASTLY, I DO THINK SHE IS MAKING A STATEMENT NOT TO BOX HER IN AS SHE HAS HER OWN MIND & TASTE, WHICH I FIND VERY REFRESHING !

@ elle7No need for the ALL CAPS. It makes it seem like you’re screaming at all of us. Please try to keep your capitalization to a minimum. As for that, I have no connections with Michelle and I’d imagine she’s even harder to get next to now as First Lady.