1) The biggest crime here is that this is a craptastic impression of New York’s governor. I mean, really, he doesn’t sound shit like David Paterson. Fred Armisen is officially just screwing with me now.
2) And is he really going to play every non-fat, notorious black man? Because he sincerely isn’t good at it. Really. Darrell Hammond, a white man, does an outstanding Jesse Jackson impression despite the handicap of not being an actual black man. Almost makes me forget how annoyed I am over SNL not employing any black people. That’s how good it is. Almost.
So what is your DEAL, Fred? Why are your black people so lame? I thought we were getting somewhere with the last Obama “Cool” sketch. I really thought you were improving. And now this abomination.
3) It goes without saying that Lorne Michael’s needs to DIVERSIFY his staff, but … whatever. We all know SNL isn’t Mad TV and when they do hire any minorities they don’t know what to do with them, and by “minorities” I mean the occasional black person, half black person, Latino and whatever Fred Armisen is (I believe he’s part Lebanese). Asians Bobby Lee and Aasif Manvi need not apply.
If they’re not going to take the integrated world seriously I don’t know why they just won’t make the whole show Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg. Or just Andy Samberg. Or just this digital skit here, shown in a loop for perpetuity. (I also love this one, and this one, and this holiday themed one and especially this one.)
4) New Jersey bashing: The one liners and put downs were funny, but, once again, what did that have to do with David Paterson?
5) Gov. Paterson has a lot of funny things about him that are fair game (some of which he, himself, has made fun of). While the Mr. Magoo shit Armisen did was in poor taste, I wasn’t surprised because this is comedy. Mocking the blind gets cheap laughs. But the real thing that annoyed me was how they made it seem like Paterson couldn’t do his job. No one as far as I’ve heard or read has ever said Paterson was unprepared to take on the job. Both Democrats and Republicans and Illinois were pretty happy to see him take the post because Paterson is considered to be highly intelligent, self-deprecating and pragmatic. Alluding that he’s incompetent to do his job even though he was dully elected as the replacement for former New York Gov. Elliot Spitzer, made no sense.
Much like how Armisen’s original portrayal of Barack as a clueless neophyte didn’t make any sense based on who Obama is and how he actually carries himself. But maybe this is the default here. All black politicians are comically unprepared even if they are not in real life. Insert joke.
Hardy, har-har! Lame, SNL! Lame, Fred Armisen! LAME!!!