MediaSnob, PostRacialist

Again, with the Beckster, I wonder if all those white folks who loved and raised Obama from the time he was a wee bebe knew he hated their immortal souls? I mean, does he hate the white half of himself? Does he, in fact, call himself white racial slurs out of malice? When he does bad things or makes mistakes does he blame “the whitey within?” Um … PUH-LEAZE!

Here’s the NAACP’s statement:

We deplore the statement of Glenn Beck on Fox and Friends that President Obama is a “racist.”

Mr. Beck’s statement was irresponsible and inflammatory at a time when as a nation we are attempting to engage in a constructive dialogue on race. Beck’s statements are an attempt to divide when we need to be united, an attempt to inflame with rhetoric when we need to discuss with thoughtfulness the serious question of race. It is a futile effort to distract from the serious issues of health care, the economy and the environment – issues that President Obama is tackling with foresight and fortitude.How could the President be a racist? A man of both African American and white heritage; a man who inspired millions of Americans to unite across the divide of race, religion and age in his historic run for the presidency. We commend President Obama for having the courage to discuss an issue that all too many Americans consider a third rail. We applaud President Obama for extending the invitation to Henry Louis Gates and Sgt. James Crowleyto have a respectful dialogue as a way to open the door for all of us to begin a conversation that ultimately can lead to healing the racial divide.Mr. Beck’s hate filled comments, on the other hand, would take us back to the days of enmity and division. We hope that rather than following the example of Mr. Beck, the American people will embrace the example of President Obama and be willing to sit down and discuss the tough question of race with the hope of finally healing the painful divide that has haunted our nation for far too long.

Many of my own commenters have noted, some with surprised, that among white Americans being called a racist is one of the worst things you can say (or be). This really shouldn’t be a shock since insanely overt racism was largely driven underground after the Civil Right Movement. By overt, I mean having the comfort to drop a “Martin Luther Coon … I mean King” on national television. That kind of overt. Where Strom Thurmon could flat out say he didn’t want “niggers” in his swimming pool on the radio. Balls to the walls, “eff-you, darkies!” racism.

Considering how shameful and violent America’s racist past is you can kind of see why “racist” is a fighting word among white people. I can still remember how during Klan rallies in St. Louis more white people showed up to protest the Klan than black people. And St. Louis is a city with serious race problems, but still … nobody wanted the Klan there.

The Klan is embarassing to most white people (along with being highly offensive). That’s why they went from a membership of Congressmen and judges to yokels and nobodies. Even if you ARE a racist, you don’t want to be associated with “racists.” Which is why Beck, et al, are quick to call others racists, throwing stones to hide their own prejudices. That’s why someone like Pat Buchanan is so wonderfully amazing in his unicorn-like ability to say something to the effect of “I’m trying to protect the white man” with a straight face, mean it and not be afeared that the boogeyman will get him for being so … well … you know.

That said, I’m pretty sure the only thing worst than being a public bigot among white people is “child molester.” And if you’re a racist child molester … God help you. Even Klansmen hate child molesters. You’re not going to have ANY friends in prison.

23 thoughts on “NAACP Comments on Glenn Beck’s “Prez Is A Racist” Statements and the Death of the Public Racist

1. The next step is to convince people that racism has a new face, and just because people aren’t hanging from trees anymore doesn’t mean you’ve solved the problem.

2. Daughter says:

Well, is there another word we can use? I admit to being one of the surprised when I started to realize how vehemently white people recoil at being called racist. Because I am of the mind that ALL of us, whatever color we are, harbor some degree of racism or prejudice within us, and the best way to deal with it is to admit it, be aware of it, and try to change it. Yet this denial that anyone short of Nazis and the Klan can be racist means that we can’t talk about or address the lesser but more common forms of racism in our society. I admit that for some folks (e.g., Limbaugh, Beck, Buchanan), that’s probably the goal. But for your average well-meaning white person, how can we ever address these things if we don’t talk about them? Is there a way we can discuss this without them feeling like we’re calling them Nazis or KKK members?

3. John Hall says:

Thank you for an intelligent well written post. It is this type of dialog that will bridge this odd racial divide that still exists in our country and finally bring us together as a nation of Americans. However I have to disagree that Beck calling the President a racist is not completely innaccurate. IMHO some of the Presidents statements if made by ANY ordinary citizen about another citizen of different heritage or race would be labled as racist. The President’s defense of his friend, Professor Gates, made ties by association, and those ties were to an individual that made racist remarks. I can speak to this, because my father was very racist, hence I was labled as such. Fortunately, my Catholic upbringing made me realize we are all God’s children and the US Army made all of us brothers in arms of one color, green. (Actually Olive Drab green, Tan and Black Camo, a mixture of many colors…..how appropriate…) I feel that the quick application of the label of "racist" within one owns race is a product of hyper-vigilence. Perhaps like the Ying trying to balance out the Yang. I know in my own family the prejudice I was exposed to has made me a bit more sensitive and critical to racist remarks. I also think I am more critical of members of my own race and quick to throw the "PWTT" bomb (Poor White Trailer Trash) which in itself is a form of racism. I should not judge in the first place, however when I do I should judge based strictly upon actions not color. Perhaps it is because it is more sociallty acceptable to critique our "own" I think the statement of the NAACP calling Beck’s words "hate filled" is horribly innaccurate and applied to speech taken out of context. As a fairly loyal reader , watcher and listener of Beck’s programs and books I do not see or hear any hate or racism on his part when taken in in its entirety. In his book "An Inconvenient Book" he speaks to the Declaration of Independence and feels that in the statement "that all men are CREATED equal" the emphasis should be placed on created, not on equal. He also speaks to the culture of "make people believe they cannot do it alone and the become dependent on you" and how that affects lower income peoples ability to emerge from poverty. He says that this culture affects black families more than an other races and that in itself is sinful. (not quoted verbatim, as I do not recall exact words) He blames the loss of the nuclear family (or noocular if you like Dubya-isms) as the cause of this predictament and the need to promote tradititonal family structures trans-racially.These are just a couple of examples that I have to counter the claims of "racist" and "hate filled speech". Of all of the FOX folk, I think Beck is the farthest from these claims of any of them. I consistently look at the screen/radio when the comments of MANY others (Rush, Keith Oberman (sp?), OReilly, Senator Barbara Boxer) like a dog hearing a distant siren asking myself "Did they just go there?!?!" Though the idea of "the beer summit" is a touchy, feely, good times moment, this is not the role of the Office of the President. The President’s comments on the matter opened a Pandora’s box of issues that should have never been approached. The reported treatment and threats made to the original 911 caller are just one of the demons let loose by the President weighing in on a subject that should have been left to local officials and courts. It gives me great concern that our President would approach and stay involved in something that is clearly "above his pay grade" as he has said before. His involvement in this matter is almost as bad as President Bush Jr landing on the deck of a carrier in an effort to dismiss questions of his military service in the Texas Air National Guard. We the people need the President to be be Presidential not a "fighter jock" or a social mediator.

4. Lisa J says:

John Hall, so what did Obama say that was racist? I haven’t caught that. And given the fact that it is the cops word vs. Professor Gates word about what was said the night of the arrest, and that at no time did the cop claim that Gates said anything "racist" unless you consider someone saying "you are doing this b/c I’m black" and "your Mama" as racist. Glen Beck is a hate filled racist crybaby. You could even see it when he was on the View and could not even look in the direction of Whoppie Goldberg. Gave eye contact to everyone else but acted as though she was not there. I think it is sick that people who belong to the white majority in this country, and President notwithstanding, are hold the majority of power in the Congress, in the Judciary, the criminal justice system most state governments, and the like seem to be convinced that black people are now the racists and are some how detrimentally affecting the lives of white people. Especially given the fact that despite being 12% of the population, a disportionate number of whom are in prison (ofthe for non-violent offenses) , and are poor with no access to get out of poverty seem to be blamed for taking jobs, school slots, and other things from whites but now we are the racists? We have been enslaved, whipped, ridiculed, sterotyped for hundreds of years in this country, have only been out of slavery for 140 odd years, suffered under Jim Crow for another 100 years, and have only been given full civil rights on paper for 40 years but now we are racist? Obama has done more to soothe racial tensions and to try to see both sides more than any other President we’ve ever had. I have never ever heard anyone in the mainstream media, particularly a white "journalist" call an President racist, including Richard Nixon who we have recordings of using racial slurs and saying abortion is ok in the case of mixed race fetuses, so isn’t it funny that the first black President is the only racist. You are very disingenous by coming her and using a few compliements and pretty words and pretending to be reasonable when defending a racist, mean spirited person who has said that our country needs another terrorist attack to "save us" who said that the wives of executives who died in 911 were whiney and complained to much and should shut up along with other mean things and you defend him as reasonable!!! And on a site written and run by a black woman that is largely frequented by African-Americans and you call the President racist?! I am disgusted but not suprised. DAMN!

5. Lisa J says:

Also, Snob back to the white people and racist thing, on Tah-Nesi Coates site there was a piece where white people said (well several not all) said that a white person being called racist is just as if not more painful as a black person being called the n-word. That I don’t understand. 1) black folks are black and at one time the n-word was what we were called most of the time and it was a derogatory term that was carried around by us all and served as a reminder that we were considered less of a person than a white person and our lives meant nothing – we cannot shed our blackness no matter what and despite young balck folk throwing it around at each other it is totally different when white folks use it 2) whehter a person is racist or not is sort of contextual on what happened and even if some people think a person is racist, everyone won’t think that, and no one carries around a sign saying I’m a racist so that everyone in every situation will know or think they are a racist, black folk don’t have that luxury, plus now anytime a black person calls whites racist they are called racist themeselves (see Reverands Wright, Jackson and Sharpton). 3) I have known white folks who tell me that they have met people who say they are racist and are proud of it, they don’t go around telling everyone, but they know themselves they are racist. 4) OFten white people dismiss black people when they mention racism, Tim Wise has an excellent essay on this, and going back to the 1960’s during the Civil Rights movement when they first started doing polls of this nature, a majority of whites at that time said blacks had equal rights and they didn’t know what the hubub was about and blacks were moving too fast, despite the fact that being vocally racist at that time was still sort of ok. So I still don’t get it, I can understand how it might be upsetting if you have good intentions, but to me it strikes of GREAT insensitivity, ignorance of history, and latent racism against blacks, for anyone to suggest that a white person being called racist is as bad as being called a n-gger as a black person. Sorry if I’m rambling or incoherent in my posts today. I’m just mad.

6. Brandi says:

@Lisa JThanks. While I was reading and rereading John’s post which forced me to reread Danielle’s post which then forced me to create my own carefully worded rant, I came back to the site to find your post. Well said. I’m going to go to a base level and say that perhaps people are confused on the actual definition of racism – mainly our dear poster John and Glenn Beck. All the smart people in the room can put their head down for a minute. Racism by definition is:The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. As already asked, what did Obama say that was racist? The cop acted stupidly? What did Glenn Beck say that was racist? Well according to John’s loose quote of Beck’s book – "He says that this culture affects black families more than any other races and that in itself is sinful." Why just point out black families? There are many white people who are in this same situation – look at the level of poverty in the Appalachian mountains. Are they just waiting for some help too? Why single out one race when poverty knows no color? Another quote – "He blames the loss of the nuclear family (or noocular if you like Dubya-isms) as the cause of this predictament and the need to promote tradititonal family structures trans-racially." So what does this mean? Does this mean that if blacks and other races subscribed to the white normative society’s idea of a traditional family structure then they would not be in this situation? Sorry to inform you of this – blacks (as a whole) have never really had what Beck terms a traditional family structure. Yes, many blacks do have this, don’t get me wrong. But there are many black families that consist of mom, grandmom, and uncle raising a child all in the same household. These households do produce functional members of the holy white society. Our President is a product of this type of non-traditional family. The only way that these statements would earn my consideration is if the author attempted to unpack the reasons why blacks are poverty stricken – and that unpacking goes a lot deeper than having a traditional family structure.

7. NAGROM says:

The NAACP is just so so, I sort of have some bad feelings for them at the moment. Every race condemns child molestors, and yeah. Ever crossed Beck’s mind that President Obama is half white himself, and may i add is the spitting image of his gorgeous grandfather. PEACE.

8. NAGROM says:

Wow, just crossed my mind. Maybe that is why these so called journalist like Beck and others extreme rights are trying to convince themselves and sadly others that President Obama hates white people. OOOoooh. Is it that unsettling to have a birracial President?

9. ariana says:

@Though the idea of "the beer summit" is a touchy, feely, good times moment, this is not the role of the Office of the President. The President’s comments on the matter opened a Pandora’s box of issues that should have never been approached. The reported treatment and threats made to the original 911 caller are just one of the demons let loose by the President weighing in on a subject that should have been left to local officials and courts. It gives me great concern that our President would approach and stay involved in something that is clearly "above his pay grade" as he has said before. His involvement in this matter is almost as bad as President Bush Jr landing on the deck of a carrier in an effort to dismiss questions of his military service in the Texas Air National Guard. We the people need the President to be be Presidential not a "fighter jock" or a social mediator.i think its exactly what a president should do. why not comment on racial matters, such as this one, when it clearly is a problem that needs to be adressed in america? and what better qualified president to do so, then a half black half white one? i think the role of a president is to set a positive example for the rest of the nation to follow. although the "beer summit" can seem a bit too constructed, atleast its well-intentioned. racism/racial stereotypes/prejudice in the US are real issues that need to be discussed in order to be worked out, they are not matters that should be hidden away or swept under the rug. Also, as someone "white," I have no idea how anyone could take anything that Obama has said through out his career as being ‘racist’. wtf?

10. Hmmm says:

@Ariana “i think the role of a president is to set a positive example for the rest of the nation to follow.”I think that many politicians and political pundits in this country are so used to a lifestyle that supports: “Do as I say and not as I do”, [behind closed doors]. I also believe this is why the President has come under such scrutiny…He is willing to bring his “talk” in line with his “actions”, for the most part…

11. Hmmm says:

12. Marbles says:

Another white person talking—I agree with Daughter that every human being has a tribalist instinct lurking in the subterranean murk of their brain, and this can often manifest itself in the form of racist thoughts (if not racist, than religion-based, nation-based, etc.). Where the individual goes from there is on them. It’s everyone’s individual responsibility to step back, see these thoughts for what they are, and not let them take over and affect how they treat others. I get extremely frustrated with what I see as rank stupidity by both whites and blacks, at various times, when it comes to shooting their mouths off about race and spouting nonsense that helps no one. But in this case, most of the stupidity is coming from overgrown schoolboys like Glenn Beck. Beck’s statements are not only delusional, they are INCREDIBLY irresponsible. Because too many people are lazy enough to swallow this stuff as gospel, and never bother to put themselves in the shoes of someone else. Should Obama have said "stupidly?" No. (even though the arrest WAS stupid) But as usual, the reaction to it has been WAYYYY out of proportion, and of course the troglodytes among us have used it as an excuse to spout their ignorance. (I almost fell out of my chair when I heard Sean Hannity say that Gates should have been "grateful" for what happened.) The millions and millions of whites who don’t buy into this nonsense are being talked over by the baiters and ignorance peddlers, and it’s damn depressing that, because of the human tendency to accentuate the negative, many blacks will come away from this whole mess only remembering the baiters (hope not)."Racist" is indeed widely seen as a poisonous thing to be called, because two generations have been raised with strong conditioning about what villains racists are. I’m puzzled that some blacks are surprised by this, since we were all exposed to (basically) the same educational material growing up—gaps in school quality notwithstanding.

13. Rick Beagle says:

I am not sure how I came to be on this site, but as a white male who married into this culture… well um, LOL! But if you can bear to hear from the other side, I would like to say a little bit on this subject. First, let me present my bonafides humorously. Want to make your fourteen year old daughter cry? When she complains to her mother that she sucks for not marrying a man who could get his "groove on", point to the top of your balding head and say, "genetics are a BIAAATCHHHH!". And then put five dollars in the cuss jar, knowing it was well worth it. Okay, I didn’t really do this, but I thought about it and chuckled evilly…. What seems to be forgotten in all the hubub about racism, the racist tag, and whatever the hell the stupid white people on Fox are saying is that the whole incident was not racially motivated. I honestly believe that the police officer in this case is not a racist, but rather an overzealous jackass with a badge. "Racism" is about an unjustified hatred of a person simply because of their skin color. This police officer had a moment of stupidity with a man of color all too eager to help point out the man’s limitations in the most vocal of manners. Cop realizes his ego is being thrashed, and does what all Neanderthals with a badge do, arrest the loud mouthed annoyance.How did we move from dumbass to racist with this guy? While I understand that the two descriptors are often related, they are not synonyms. Unfortunately, when we overuse the "racist" tag, as we have apparently done in this situation, the resultant of that action is that the word becomes diminished and it’s true horrific meaning forgotten. Earlier there was a comment made earlier that paints my point exactly. In her comment, the commenter states that she believes everyone is racist in one way or another. She confuses societal ignorance and misperceptions with an unjustified hatred. Ignorance and perception issues can be overcome through such simple tools as education and exposure, but "racism" can not (or at least not easily). It is not racism that people are prone to, as she pines, but rather the desire for inclusion and an abundance of ignorance (willful and other). We have come far, and now may be a good time to refine our message to suit a world where hate and hateful rhetoric should not be presumed at first blush. Perhaps the next stage of our growth is to understand that there are idiots amongst us, and that the idiots are very busy doing idiotic things. They should be denigrated appropriately, but honestly, do we think the special place in Hell for Racists is making room for this officer? Probably not, but Beck and Rush more assuredly have their names engraved on a couple of chairs.Anyhow, thanks for letting me say my peace.Peace.Rick Beagle

14. Anon. says:

White people don’t want to be called racist cause it drudges up the vile and nasty history that reminds them of how inhumane they have been to other members of the human family. So they’ll go to the end of earth and back to deny, deny, deny; even going as far as flipping the script on redefining what racism is. Its all a smokescreen so we can forget about white privilege, institutionalized racism, 400 years of free slave labor, Jim Crow, Apartheid, lynchings, KKK and all the other inhumane atrocities that they are responsible for. Most white people abhor the thought of being reminded of all the shit they’ve gotten away with.Real Talk.

15. Rick Beagle says:

"White people don’t want to be called racist cause it drudges up the vile and nasty history that reminds them of how inhumane they have been to other members of the human family."You might want to take a look at a news paper or even history a bit closer, white people have not and do not have a monopoly on atrocities against our fellow humans. At the end of the day, like every other human creature on this planet, white people want to be judged by their individual actions and not suffer denigration simply because they share the same color of skin as those who have done these terrible things.

16. dilettante says:

"You might want to take a look at a news paper or even history a bit closer, white people have not and do not have a monopoly on atrocities against our fellow humans". RickExcellent point Rick, factual as well. However your comment almost reinforces the point Anon. was making about the reflexive deflection "some" white Americans engage in vis a vis present day/ historical wrong doings agaisnt black Americans. Robert Mugabe/ Sadam Hussien /Pol Pot et al are non white American meanies, but none of them really germane to this discussion. white people want to be judged by their individual actions Amen! Is that really a problem facing white American’s though? Whites aren’t profiled,/negatviely stereotyped that’s why John Hall had to specify white in his comment about PWTT. The default imagery for "poor", low information,SES etc in the US is not a white person which is why "white"- traditonally it had to be articulated. Today however we can be more PC ;-) and simply use geography to code black and white, by saying urban or Appalachia, but everyone knows the deal

17. Rick Beagle says:

"Is that really a problem facing white American’s though?" DilenttanteYes. If you review Anon.’s statements, you can see that there is a great deal of anger toward white people in general regardless of their complicity in the crimes committed, or at least that is how I read the comment? The deflection comment is an interesting point, but I think it stalls discussions by creating a circular argument with regards to racism talks. ie if we are talking about racism and I stand up proudly and say, I am not a racist – then the comment is made that I am deflecting and therefore I must be a racist. It is an unintended trap that provides no ability for white people to move beyond the sins of our fathers and their fathers (et al).HOWEVER with that said, Beck, and Pat Buchanan the two notables in the original post are not deflecting, they are just making $%*& up. So please don’t take my comments to be some sort of smoke screen for those idiots pandering to the basest of white idiots. And I sure as heck am not embarrassed because they are white(as was alluded to in the article), just enraged that village idiots actually listen to these two racists. Peace.Rick Beagle

18. Sandra says:

Interesting to read whose "hurt feelings" are more important and take precedence. I’ll stop and think now before I call out a criminal as a criminal when I see perp walks on tv – s/he might actually be a victim too and I might hurt his/her feelings by not acknowledging that.

19. MissZ87 says:

When Billl O’Reilly and Pat Buchanan make statements of "Obama being racist" its like a reverse psychology effect. They blame other people for what they themselves are guilty of. Can you imagine a black person saying they only want to protect black people? They would be called a "reverse racist" in a heartbeat. That in itself shows that he has no interest in anyone non-white. Does he even view non-whites as people!! When will Americans be forced to deal with their racism…whether it he be overt or covert it still is racism. Just because you swept it under the rug doesn’t mean it will go away. I think the bottom line is that white people have a falsely-based superiority complex, if anything dear shake it they go into instantaneous paranoia.

20. Ace says:

If I was Obama I’d just say, "F’k it. I know I’m going to be the last Black ever as President in this United States, so reparations to all Black people and forget all that Israel support. If I’m going to die, atleast I want to do "something’ to be remembered by my people". Of course, I am not Obama, and as a Black man I couldn’t sell my soul like that – my Blackness wouldn’t allow it. Its obvious he never read the book about The Secret Relationship between Blacks and Jews. Somebody slip the dude a copy.

21. Calpurnia says:

I think the only people who aren’t racist, are people in interracial families. In the past, the most racist, violent areas were in the south because they wanted to be a seperate country and destroy the constitution.AND CONTINUE SLAVERY which was part of there game. besides, there are other ethnicities BESIDES BLACK AND WHITE. I wonder if the only reason is because they are english speakers exclusively. I saw glenn becks show on fridays, and yes, people can be racist that arent white. barack obama cant be racist, or can he, to which side; he was raised by an indonesian stepfather and his white grandfather in Hawaii, and Indonesia where there are few black people unless there in the military. I think he got the ‘black’ pseudo dialect he uses from college and Michelle. Michelle I think ,wouldnt have wanted him if he had a ‘standard american accent’ which isnt european by the way. If Obama seems racist to white people, its either political, or hes confused.

22. Calpurnia says:

I might add—-black people need to stop worrying about racist whites. we are living in the old south that way. all ethnicities are racist against each otherto some degree except the ones in the multiethnic families. some blacks that are conservative, are doing better than racist whites. they shouldn’t be afraid of being called ‘uncle toms’ the liberal blacks are. there being ‘useful idiots’ for the democrat party.