PostRacialist

WTF: Don’t Change the Complexion of Our Pool?

Welcome to 1953 everybody!

Story and contact information for the private club after the jump.

From NBC Philadelphia:

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

“I heard this lady, she was like, ‘Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?’ She’s like, ‘I’m scared they might do something to my child,’” said camper Dymire Baylor.

The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers’ first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

“When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool,” Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. “The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately” …

The explanation they got was either dishearteningly honest or poorly worded.

“There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club,” John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

I wanted to believe this story was a hoax. Honestly I did because … why? “Complexion?” Really?

Want to complain? Well … THEIR CONTACT PAGE IS DOWN (curious), but JJP was kind enough to record their information for prosperity.

The Valley Club, 22 Tomlinson Road, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006, 215-947-0700, email: info@thevalleyclub.com.

13 thoughts on “WTF: Don’t Change the Complexion of Our Pool?

1. Skywalker says:

Nope not a hoax….its real and if you read Huffington Post today – the club is "justified" in its response (that’s bull). I can’t imagine what those kids felt and how would I respond if that was my child.

2. tarheelio says:

Why are y’all acting so surprised? Millions of Americans don’t want you in their neighborhood, school or pool if you fail to: look like them, attend the same church, etc. Black people snob other black people for being the wrong shade. I have family that has hated me from day 1 for looking too white.White people snob other white people for being "white trash" or not coming from the right schools, or families.Discrimination is an American tradition, an Earth tradition. Anyone who thinks we are in a post-racial America need to put down that kool-aid and get out more.

3. d says:

I don’t think anyone who follows this blog is shocked. Disgusted? Yes. Cynical? I know I am. This club granted membership to the day camp only to renig after the kids were *inside* the gate. That’s the appalling part. Well, that and the whole "dirty water" thingy.Where is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson when you actually WANT them around?

4. netizen says:

Here, here for The Valley swim club member who voiced their personal opinion or remark. It’s about time. Why do White people in America continually have to feel guilty about Black people, and walk on eggshells constantly; particularly in the Philadelphia area. If American Blacks would shed their "entitlement" culture, maybe White people wouldn’t be so "upity".

5. Diana Barry Blythe says:

Honestly, I recently read a story just like this from the 1950s and I initially thought I was reading that story again.@ tarheelio"Anyone who thinks we are in a post-racial America need to put down that kool-aid and get out more." You have that right on the nose.@dAnyone who harms a child is just . . . I’m nauseous right now.Speaking of disappointed kids, but in a not so tragic vein, I was rather stunned when the President refused those bus loads of kids the other month. It’s not the same situation, but I just hate it when kids hopes are crushed when it can be avoided.

6. Lisa J says:

uhh, netizen, not sure if you were being sarcastic or if you were really making that assinine statement, but you have the roles totally reveresed. Totally. If you were joking, a litle off and if you were serious,… you need to have your head examined.

7. phillyteri says:

I see I have sent my rant to these racists just in time…the cowards took their response email down! LOLI am outraged, but not shocked–but that dull deep ache comes back everytime I read about incidents like this one; and this is just the few that make the media. This still happens guys, Obama or no Obama. We cannot afford to sleep; we have to not take anything for granted–many whites still hate us; and hate our President. We need our own spots, businesses, schools, etc.But this ‘club’ had open enrollment, so I cannot believe they didn’t think it was possible that some blacks would try to enter their "lily white" gates. Damn, you run from us, but you can’t hide…A**holes!

8. Andrea says:

Lisa J, I don’t think netizen was being sarcastic. He or she is just another white, racist prick hiding behind a screen name. How original.

9. bloghead says:

Yea I notice that when situations like this happen i always see all these comments from white people wanting to leave their racists rants on black blogs. netcitizen get a life.

I’m laughing to myself because those same families probably have their dog and cat swimming in the pool at home.

11. Spinster says:

netizen – STFU, sit down somewhere, and get out of here. Why come over here anyway? Danielle, I call troll. Block his or her ass please.