Obamarama

Rick Santorum On The Obamas, Date Night and Black Folk

Did you find this offensive or is this something you have said yourself? Is this patronizing? Why does my head hurt? Please explain!

41 thoughts on “Rick Santorum On The Obamas, Date Night and Black Folk

1. Offensive, yes. Patronizing, yes. Why does your head hurt? Because they are a great example for ALL of us, not just Black Folk. Puhleaze. How many white couples do you know that are as healthy as the Obamas? How many couples of any race or nationality are as healthy as the Obamas?? What is the divorce rate among whites??To me it’s like blaming gays for destroying the institution of marriage. No, straight married people have ruined their own damn institution. Adultery, (hetero) promiscuity, easy-out divorce, and just plain not respecting and cherishing each other the way the Obamas do is what destroys the institution of marriage. The problem isn’t over there. Black people are not uniquely dysfunctional. Straight white people, as a class, do not qualify as relationship models for anybody.JMHO

2. Nayo says:

This is one of those ‘under-handed compliments/insults’. yikes. Throw a rock, while ‘hiding’ your hand (with the brick in it). It is obvious that the ‘Date Night’ santorum is referencing, had a sore spot in his, um mind. Oh boy, eight (8) years of this. I’m game.

Well, his "date night is good because black folk are inherently dysfunctional" story is what made my head hurt. I could not find the words to explain how patronizing that was. So I turned to you all to be the judge.

4. Kylor2 says:

I think it is silly. Period. People are going to always have something to say about EVERY president and what they choose to do or not do. Also, whether the President uses those services or not , won’t there be flight anyway? I mean I think I remember reading somewhere that the AF1 pilots have to fly whether or not there is an actual date or business trip…anywho I agree with the other post his tone comes across as patronizing, the message not so much, it is important for *all * people married or otherwise to get a break and just have a date night.

5. Lisa J says:

I can’t watch this but Rick the "Dick" Santorum, aka Mr. Crocodile Tears, is a fool so I can only imagine it must be bad. I walked past that man on the street once near Capitol Hill and hissed when I passed him. Makes me sick. My Mom who works in Philly saw him at a professional function and said he came over to her and shook her hand. I guess I’d have acted right and shaked it to but I would have had to wash it and take a cootie shot afterwards :-).

6. OneChele says:

Yes, super patronizing. This is SOOO what we need, more middle-aged white men telling "urban folk" what’s good for them. How about it’s great to see a healthy marriage (regardless of race) and leave it at that? Aargh… makes me wanna holla.

7. CiCi says:

This whole thing is amazing to me, to say the least.He takes shots at Black women, single mothers, Black men, "poor, inner city" Blacks in one round. Yet, I do believe that images of the Obamas will influence ALL CULTURES to look into their personal lives (including marriage and children) and see where they can do better. I also think that we been bombarded with stories and images of "deteriorating Black family" and many in the Black community, including Obama, have made points about this (remember the whole broohaha over his Father’s Day speech last year). We ALL know that the issues that Santorum threw out there are things that we discuss everyday.

8. WIlma says:

Patronizing as hell. A good marriage is a good marriage regardless of the color of the couple. A good marriage is a good example for other people regardless of color or ethnicity or whatever. Though I can understand that it is a wonderful thing for people in the black community to have an example of black love for all the world to see instead of the sterotypes we all get fed. But there’s a difference between feeling that and having a white dude stating that this particular marriage is a good example for the black community.

9. Robert M says:

Damning w/ faint praise covers it. Remember this is a guy whose last name means the result of a sex act.

10. Tips Thoughts says:

Yes, his statements can be viewed as patronizing. However, I think he was quite on message. Many of our children are born out of wedlock, 47% of Black women have never been married, and the Black family doesn’t exist in great numbers similar to the 1940s through the early 80s. I also think if this statement was made on MSNBC or CNN by maybe a Roland Martin or Bill Cosby or some respectable male or female in our society, we may think the message was palatable and accurate. So, my head is not hurting. Rather, my hurt is hurting because our families aren’t as strong as they could be. Yes, we need have present examples in our churches, sororities and fraternities, and communities of healthy families and marrianges. But we will benefit from more public examples like Barack and Michelle who parade around the benefits of a strong healthy relationship and marriage. Just my $.02.

11. snobfanforeal' says:

But what exactly did he say that isn’t true? Aren’t our out of wedlock rate’s insane? Isn’t marriage something we could use a tad more of in our community? Last question: how wondeful is it that this Democratic President could land in the headlines becuase of something he did WITH his wife?

12. Alan in MD says:

I actually think he is telling the truth as weird as that may seem, since I am a black married man. The problem is the messenger and the medium. Everything he stated was TRUE. If this were said by Michael Baisden on Radio One, there would be no problems. Santorum has no credibility except on Fox.

13. Anthony Nurse says:

It is not just the patronization. Nothing Santorum said was technically inaccurate, but I don’t trust him (as a part of the current conservative political movement) to be a good shepherd when it comes to issues affecting Black America. Bill Cosby could (and probably has) say the same exact words and I wouldn’t have the same repulsed reaction since I believe he would say it out of general concern.

14. Dee says:

"Marriage is not desirable for African American men" I love how he uses sweeping generalizations, not some, not even many but he’s pretty much saying all black men. I guess we should fall to our knees and thank god cause apparently the Obama marriage is a miracle. All those married black men in my family must be a figment of my imagination. Plus I don’t think anything Rick said was out of concern for the black community more so that it was an opportunity to criticize the Obamas trip. But you know it was fine for Bush to spend the taxpayers dollars on his 77 trips to Crawford Texas to clear the brush and ride his mountain bike for the cameras.

15. Demetra says:

I didn’t find it repulsive, I felt it was truth and just because others say it doesn’t make it offensive. It seems to me when people from our own race say that we need to stop having children out of wedlock and our men need to get right then we take offense to that. Does it matter who says it? Or is it just that some of us (african americas) don’t want to hear the truth that we don’t have a family unit as a whole race?I think the thing that he mentioned that bugs me that i’ve heard others say as well is that Obama used airforce one and all these other govt vehicles to do his date night. I have a news flash for the world, AIR FORCE ONE IS PRESIDENT OBAMAS ONLY MODE OF TRANSPORTATION. IF HE DOESN’T USE AIR FORCE ONE, HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish people would stop acting like he’s using "our" money to go and do lavish things. As a president, they can’t drive their own cars, they can’t even own a car so the only way they can leave the white house is by government escort. So if that’s the only way he can get around then so be it. He didn’t take advantage of tax payers money, he’s just using the only resources that are given to him as were given to every other president before him and will be given to every president after him.I wish those who are opposed to that would give it a rest already. Also it pisses me off that he says that obama should have scaled down his date night, WTF!!!! Who are we to determine where he should and shouldn’t go and here’s another eye opener, PRESIDENT OBAMA MAY, JUST MAY BE USING HIS OWN MONEY. People also assume that because he’s president that hes using the tax payers money to do stuff but he had money before he became the president. Would that change people’s opinion of his date night if they knew he spent his own money? He did author two books so he may have accumulated his own cash!

16. D. Tillman says:

What he said is true. We shouldn’t be upset because a white man said it. It’s like leaving the house with a stain on your shirt and being mad when someone notifies it. We don’t live in a silo, other cultures can see our faults too.

17. cathy says:

Santorum, has always been a jerk. That is why we through him out of office in PA. I bet he doesn’t know any black men personnally so how would he know if they are married or not… He has always pissed me off…once a jerk always a jerk.

18. Adeshola Blue says:

I am upset because he wants to criticize black people. Rick Santorum ain’t concerned about black people. He could give less than two damns about black people. so don’t go giving me a well it is the truth. Who is he to tell the president how to spend his date night, and last time I checked, all black men are not deadbeats and white folks are unmarried as well, but he wasn’t talking about them, was he? (Bristol Palin)

The part about the Obamas being a role model in particular to black people is true. You just don’t want to hear from a conservative stick-in-the-mud. With regard to the trip being a wasteful expense, that’s pure bunk.

20. Grace says:

Lord…..Black folks can’t go see a Broadway show lest it be indulgent. Is Santor-a-whoever some backwoods, hick – so naive and unsophistcated that he doesn’t think any of the former Presidents have done things comparable? and it only made a blip, possibly, on the media radar?Does he not know of affluent professional white (and Black) folks – who see themselves as average because they have to work and take care of their families like everyone else – they just get paid better – who regularly see Broadway shows?He will be shocked to find that many even spend hundreds of dollars to take their children when appropriate, because the experience is so life enhancing.We just have to shake our heads and be amazed while we go through this learning phase for those who truly have white supremacist beliefs but they don’t realize it.This is also a phase for the outing of self-hating negroes: D. Tillman. "It’s like leaving the house with a stain on your shirt and being mad when someone notifies it." Please learn to speak the language…

21. bixby says:

The president of the U. S. pays for all personal expenses, like dinners and theatre tickets; apparently, this president thinks the promise he made to his wife wife is worth it. Anything Santorum has to say comes from the same old anti-black, fake populist rhetoric that Republicans specialize in, and not from any genuine concern about the state of black America (a subject on which I’m sure he’s fully informed). The idea of this ex-senator offering leadership advice is just plain funny. How many of these so-called Republican leaders all over the news have actually won an election lately?

22. rikyrah says:

Well, look at the GOP role models, as JJP pointed out:1. John ‘ I threw the wife who waited for me to come home from Vietnam for the hot young thing’ McCain2. Newt, ‘ I had divorce papers delivered to my wife in the hospital -as she was recuperating from cancer surgery ‘ Gingrich3. Rudy ‘ I moved my WOMAN into the house with MY WIFE AND CHILDREN’ Giuliani’4. Larry ‘ Wide Stance’ Craig5. David ‘ Hooker’ Vitter6. Tim " I dogged my wife out about sex over the radio’ Pawlenty7. George ‘ Laura looked like I didn’t touch her in years’ BushSantorum doesn’t give a rat’s ass about Black folk and needs to STFU.

23. Like other posters I think there is some truth in what he said, its no secret that we are not getting married. Problem is I don’t think he should have said, somethings need to be left alone. As for using AF1…um, how exactly do we expect the president to get from point A to B? On a bus? I suppose for reasons of security, the O’s taking a train or their own car is not an option…I don’t recall W driving in his car so why should that expectation be there for the O’s? The expectation that the Os cannot enjoy the finer things in life is a tad crazy, for crying out loud the man is the POTUS…I hardly doubt they were hitting the neighborhood tavern before he was POTUS. Heck my brother lives in their old neighborhood and I suspect they enjoyed the finer things back in Chi-town. Overall all this man is a idiot and needs to shut his pie-hole.

24. The A says:

and an enthusiastic FIST BUMP to you & the JJP crew- rikyrahHad the nimrod said ‘people’ instead of ‘black people’, it would’ve been a fine comment. And we all know Radio Rwanda puts a whole lot of effort into their words -this was no inadvertent slap. This "credit to your race" crap needs to stop. The race is too heavy and too complex for any one of us or a group of us to hold up. So let’s allow Obama be an example to the poor white welfare mama watching Fox out west in her meth lab too. I’m sure we wouldn’t have to search too far in Ricky’s own family tree to find someone to whom Obama could be a good example.and what’s with all the "keeps it realz" people on the board saying his remarks are okay because we say the same thing about ourselves? Like er’body else’s shit don’t stink like ours?!Seriously, do you hear yourselves?!

25. kim says:

First of all, they didn’t take Air Force one, they took a smaller jet. Secondly, if white married couples already have it together then why didn’t we see Bush and Lady Laura frequently go out? For the first few seconds, it didn’t seem like he was giving a back-handed compliment. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt thinking he would offer something insightful about the black community (remember the backlash of the late Senator Moniyhan’s (sp?) analysis/study of the black community, which later on came to be acceptable?). But then as Santorum continues with a tirade about lower-income blacksbirths out-of-wedlock, I thought, typical Fox to give a mic to an idiot who will feed their followers who eat all the B.S. stereotypes. I’m not a Fox watcher so I’m not that familiar with this guy.Thirdly, as Rachel Maddow pointed out how many times did us taxpayers pay Bush to visit his ranch?

26. dilettante says:

I give it a fail. If President Obama is a role model as Santoroum says [he is by the way]. Then he’s a role model in *everything* he does. It seems Mr. Santorum believes black people only pay attention to the Obama’s date nights, but couldn’t care less about his trip to the middle east, the economic recovery plan, health care , our debtor relationship with China etc.The logical conclusion to Rick’s helpful advice, is the uppity azz Obama’s (Michelle and Barack) had no business pursing graduate degrees in Ivy leagues schools- ’cause lets face it, that’s just not "accessible" to black people. The Obama’s are "acting" in a way [Santorum], evidently thought was exclusively white and its causing all sorts of consternation, since as he correctly points out, it seems black Americans don’t value marriage. Why should the President be so flash about his happy one? Shouldn’t he ‘act black’ and take his lady to the local bar? I was waiting to here some comment about the actual play they saw, but maybe we’ve had enough humor.

27. Ally says:

I mean damn, what he said is true. And what people aren’t catching is he said President Obama is a role model whether he knows it or not "In particular" to the african american community. He didn’t just say he’s a role model "just" for black people. But because our president is considered black despite he’s of mixed race, of course he’s a role model for all but especially for black people because he’s black. I don’t watch Fox that much so I’m not familiar with the man speaking in the video, but I don’t find it offensive at all.

28. starrie says:

i guess santorum had no gays to insult this time around…glad to know he’s an expert in black relationships…

29. Bass says:

Santorum’s blindness is that he thinks Obama is a role model only for blacks because only blacks need that role model. It’s as if he said, What’s a white man got to learn from a black man? But I say, If any man is modeling the role of a good husband/father, why isn’t that a lesson for every man? Your head hurts because you can’t fathom how Santorum manages to get his stupid us v. them perspective into even something as simple as praising a man for being a good husband.

30. funkystarkitty50 says:

I equate that comment to the "You speak so well" comment that some White people have made to me. I’m an educated person who reads, am I supposed to sound like an illiterate slave or something? It’s very clumsy to make statements like that and it does have racial overtones to it.

31. Wenzel Dashington says:

The past Presidents treated the White House as a high pressure prison. The last one stayed in Texas for a total of a year or so. The rest all had Broadway shipped to D.C. with command performances. But, everytime the Obamas do something ordinary like go to a hamburger stand or go to broadway, it’s fun for them and makes the press cover a positive story. Again, a positive story about the president going about his regular biz, eating and playing with wifey = good economic vibes.Bill Clinton and JFK took the good times a little too far, but notice how young Presidents with healthy "relations" have good PR.

32. Im confused. Instead of going to dinner and a show he is suggesting that the First Couple go have a shot and a beer at the local pub? So wait, hes suggesting that the first black couple celebrate their marriage by boozing together?? Yeah, my head hurts too.

33. gettingitright says:

If you have a crazy sister, aunt, mother, uncle, etc., it’s okay for you to comment about it. You’d be mad if the mailman, neighbor, boss, etc. said anything about your crazy relative. They’d be out of line, condescending. Cosby, Obama, the "village" can make these comments. Santorum is out of line commenting on black dysfunction. Comment on general dysfunction, don’t limit it to black dysfunction.

34. Wenzel Dashington says:

How funny would it be to watch the First Family take "A Real Black Family from the Southside of Chicago" trip. Security clears everybody out the hood and the pilot lands Air Force One around Western and 103rd during rush hour. They hop out dressed nicely and have to fight traffic to get to a Jamie Foxx concert. They hang around aftert the show for a minute, then decide to go eat. On the way, Gayle King starts texting Michelle about a step dancing party at Oprah’s. Michelle cuts off her phone, becuase she really don’t like how Oprah looks at her man. So, instead they go to Jamie’s afterparty at the hotel and a fight starts in the parking lot. Secret service breaks up the fight, but by then its late and Barack has to go to work in the morning, so they drive back to the plane and go home.Maybe Rick Santorum would be more comfortable with this situation for the first Black President. lol

35. Anarchy1 says:

Its been a while since I had the chance to comment…but I couldn’t resist this nonsense. "Lil’ Ricky" is the last person to give anyone advice on issues regarding personal relationships…his paltry attempts at running for Senate and President demonstrate that. Its not the criticism of black marriage that disturbs me, its his assumption that Obama should go to a "bar around the corner" that ticks me off. No one complained when that Casanova "W" took his wife on all those taxpayer funded vacays to Camp David….so why is it wrong for O to go to NY on his own dime? The only thing taxpayers funded was the jet ride and security, which is a normal expense anyway. Honestly, this smacks of the whole "black people don’t think like everyone else" theme that some GOP underlings have been pushing over the last few weeks. The appropriate rebuttal to that craziness is to ask, "if you had Air Force One, private security, and tickets to a great Broadway show…would you use them to earn points with your fine, stylish, and uber intelligent wife?" I bet you there are millions of white, Hispanic, and Asian men who think just like other brothas and say "Hell yeah! You ain’t gotta ask me twice." Santorum is just mad cause he’ll never get to play with O’s toys.

36. Zion says:

I’m so tired of white folks acting like they are the models of family values when it is usually a farce. I see white wives hanging on to failed marriages especially if it means I will somehow profit. Hillary "I’m going to hang on to my cheater because I want to run for president someday" Clinton. Heck, everyone was so disturbed by the former Democratic governor of New Jersey for coming out of the closet on television, but then the media went quiet when they found out she was having a threesome with the governor and some of his gay lovers. BRISTOL PAILIN.. I’m a highschool graduate who achieved the bare minimum, and yet people are applauding me because I’m white. White folk need to focus on themselves, and we will focus on ourselves.Also, I’m sorry, but there are plenty of black marriages that are successful, and are never covered by the media. Most people do not want to see blacks with sense in the media. Notice that any show featuring a thriving black family, based on tradition does not last long. The black welfare, single mother figure is more profitable to the media. Notice how the media upholds black, out of wedlock motherhood. Look at how everytime a black celebrity is featured and they are pregnant, they are normally lacking something vital….a husband.