Uncategorized

Beyonce’s Michael Jackson Syndrome

The L’Oreal Beyonce “paleface” ad, while getting a lot of attention on the Web, had a lot of Snob readers (among others) pointing out that Beyonce and her peeps had to be complicit in this act of stupidity. Being ever the nosy person I am, my curiosity was piqued at the implied depth of Bey’s “Creole fever.” After hearing from a commenter on Facebook that Beyonce actually looked close to this pale in a recent public appearance I fired up my WireImage account to see what she looked like in the most recent public shindig they shot of her on file.

I found these pics from May 6th at the 40/40 Club in NYC.

I want to talk about how horrid that outfit is with the shiny thick dance competition tights and black leather gloves and those disastrous shoes, but that’s not what this entry is about. It’s about the skin tone which is … dramatically lighter.

Once again, with the blonde hair she’s almost unrecognizable, although she is still not as light as the L’Oreal ad. Still, realistically she could have done some extra “brightening” between May and when that photo was taken. Heck, some lighting changes at the shoot could create the full-on “Casper” look.

Once again, not surprised, but it’s disappointing when light brown celebrities become ever-more-lighter-brown celebrities. Mostly because a nose job is a dime-a-dozen and the Britney-Lindsay-Paris-Jessica Simpson celebrity industrial complex lives for orange fake bake and three-square-meals of cigarettes n’ Starbucks per day, but outside of the Howard Hughes tragedy that is Michael Jackson, I don’t know a lot of black celebrities who’ve done something this dramatic to their skin tone. (Wait … just remembered Wendy Williams and Lil Kim, but Beyonce actually has a discernible talent so it seems unfair to lump her in with the Wicked Witches of the East Coast.) Perhaps they start using sunblock or carrying an umbrella everywhere, but there is only so much sunblock and umbrellas can do to fight the natural browning of your blackness.

This is a little silly, isn’t it? Especially when you’re a celeb as ubiquitous as she is, who everyone has seen ad nauseum and is expected to look familiar, not sickly pale, like your liver is failing. Pre-lightening she was already successful and accepted. This wasn’t a Lisa Kudrowneeded nose job to get foot in door” situation. But Jackson, who was a millionaire by the time he was ten, was successful and accepted yet he looks like the world’s least attractive, nose-less Johnny Depp impersonator.

Once you start freaking people out it’s a sign that you’re hitting the point-of-no-return, where folks begin to wonder if this is a black celebrity version of anorexia, but for skin tone. That you’ve become all “vitiligo” translucent not for success, but because you have serious mental problems. The kind where you think if you just become three shades paler all those Jay-Z/Rihanna rumors will go away. Where pigmentation equals improved acting quality. Where whiteness will make that tacky outfit she has on look better.

Nope. Still tacky.

About these ads

35 thoughts on “Beyonce’s Michael Jackson Syndrome

1. One Beyonce memory sticks with me. Christmas Show – Oprah – she was still with Destiny’s Child. I swear to you I don’t know what was said that day, because I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her hair. I was like, DAMN, what the hell is a Black woman doing with that Blonde hair. I mean, it was BLONDE. It upset me. I believe her parents have always been instrumental in this, and I mean, making her look White – no other way to describe it. Mary J. Blige is blonde, and it never upset me the way that it does with Beyonce, because, well, always got that ‘undercurrent’. I wasn’t shocked by the quote in Latina magazine. Not at all.PS- saw the new trailer for the new Tyler Perry movie. I can’t help it, I always give his movies a chance.PPSS- Obama Alert – on the cover of Ladies Home Journal. Need pics if possible. PPPSSS- are you going to post about Michelle’s GMA/Nightline interview?

2. Beyonce has always been “That” lightskin chick. She has lived up to her Creole, Redbone potential: Hottest rapper in the game’s boo, lead singer of a gruop with her and a bunch of dark girls she rotates every couple of years, international modeling and advertising deals. What’s next now that she has taken her rightful place as yellow queen of Black Celebity? Venture into the white world. She’s a psycho and I have seen this coming for a while. On her Sports Illustrated cover, she was the only one on the beach w/o a tan!

3. Anonymous says:

I have a couple of questions about this article and posted comments.First, why is it “White” and “Black” with caps? They are only colors and should be used as such. It seems that people are putting too much value on color. In a day and age where we have a black man running (fairly successfully) for President of the greatest country in the world, why does color even matter anymore? And why is it so important that it needs to be capitalized?Second, who cares how light or dark Beyonce is? She is an incredibly talented singer and she has done well for herself. She doesn’t go out and get trashed or forget to wear important articles of clothing under short skirts, like certain other celebrities. Actually, she is one of the few celebrities I would actually call a good role model. It’s really none of my business what shade her skin is. In the end, it doesn’t affect her musical ability so why do we care so much? Everyone is so amped up about race and color lately. I wish people would just relax and be proud to be Americans rather than “Black” and “White”.Honest answers and comments would be appreciated!Hope everyone has a great Friday!

4. all: Yeah. Mary J. blondness and nose didn’t bother me either. I think it was because I took her blonde hair the same way I took other around-the-way girls with blonde hair. They weren’t really “trying to be white,” they just wanted to stand out. Blonde hair was the equivalent to wildly colored dragon lady nails or tacky gold jewelry. She was just so “hood.” It wasn’t really the same because she wasn’t trying to perpetrate something she wasn’t. The blonde hair was just part of who she is.lenoir: Like I said. She’s crossed the sunblock and umbrellas threshold. She’s gone terminal now.nyc/caribbean ragazza: How they got rid of the other girls was always all kinds of bogus to me. I didn’t get it and it didn’t seem “necessary.” But at that point you knew the group was never really about these four girls from Houston. It was about Beyonce.Papa and Mama Knowles just didn’t care what happened to anyone who wasn’t blood.rikyrah: What was Beyonce’s quote in Latina Magazine? Did she go form Creole to Meszito or something? I have never understood the pure obsession with assimilation when we can never truly “assimilate.”1.) I also saw the trailer to the new Tyler Perry movie. Rockmond Dunbar, Kathy Bates, Sanaa Lathan and Cole Hauser? But then I saw Tyler Perry in that bad wig. I feel very conflicted.2.) I will keep a look out for the Ladies Home Journal pics.3.) I don’t know if I’ll post anything about the GMA interview because I haven’t seen it. And things are a bit crazy at the Snob household this weekend, so I may or may not be updating the site until Monday.

5. anonymous 7:54 am: I gather the interests are similar to a reaction to any black person who appears to be making unnecessary or superficial changes to assimilate into the larger, white mainstream. Most black people can’t, don’t or won’t make such drastic physical changes, and it seems especially odd considering her success. Her lightening essentially tells black women, yet again, to be beautiful and accepted in America you need to be as close to white as possible. If Beyonce, an already beautiful, successful and popular woman thinks she needs to be lighter when she was already light that simple bodes badly, yet again, for the black psyche. So while it is true, she’s not as flagrant as some white celebrities, because of her high visiblity, it just sends a really bad message to black girls which we are told everyday … you’re not beautiful if you don’t have long, flowing straight hair, a straight nose and skin as close to passing as possible.For some people that almost amounts to a betrayal. For me it’s simply fascinating to watch because it’s completely illogical.Per the terms “black” and “white.” I never capitalize them and they weren’t capitalized in my post. (I’m a journalist. That’s standard Associated Press style.) I see them simply as color descriptions. I only capitalize proper nouns, like the specific names of ethnicities like African American or Italian American.

6. mynameismyname says:

Good morning Snob, So, I’m not crazy! I’m not the only one whose noticed Miss Knowles’ “going-going-gone” browness as of late! I mean, I never was the biggest Destiny’s Child fan so I never paid all that much attention to her but her steady depigmentation is noticable, even to a non-follower like me! That’s a shame.If you think about it though, it makes sense for someone like her to dramatically alter their looks this later in their notoriety. In fact, Beyonce and Michael Jackson both have lots of similiarities.They both were life-long showbiz kids with domineering stage daddies who where hellbent on them being superstars (which often meant pushing them over others). They both never really had an actual life (they’ve both lamented about this to the press). They both have truckloads of insecurities (spending your entire life in an industry that tells you that you can never be “pretty enough, good enough, talented enough, successful enough” will do that). They both intentionally tried to “whitewash” themselves, even after they became established superstars. I don’t think this is all a concidence. In short, it’s part of the peril of being a lifelong showbiz kid. It’s not pretty when the spotlight is off.In reponse to Lenoir, as I’ve said before, the terms “light skinned” and “dark skinned” are so subjective and relative that they can almost become irrelevant.Knowles wasn’t especially “light skinned” for a black girl at all in the earlier stages of Destiny’s Child mainstream success. In fact, one of the replacements in the group was actually many shades lighter (she was advised by Tina Knowles to tan so that she can blend in with her short-term group members). So, Beyonce wasn’t quite your classic “yellow/redbone/insert-other-midly-offensive-color-reference-here” black chick. As Snob described before, she was just a somewhat lightish shade of medium brown. That’s not unsually light neither is it unusually dark. But then again, as I said before, it’s very subjective and relative. Maybe she’s the lighest black woman in the world to a black person who’s EXTREMELY dark. But yeah …I get the impression that Beyonce’s sister, Solange, is the “Ashley Banks” of the Knowles clan (who are known to worship at the cult of Beyonce. Seriously.) You know, the one who actually has the closest grip on …reality.

7. mynameismyname: You make some excellent points about the insecurities that come with being raised in the business and the competitiveness altering judgment. I’d just hate to see her go into a Michael Jackson/Mickey Rourke direction where you scorch the earth because you can’t find facial perfection.And her skin tone is subjected. When she started out, me and her were about the same color. I don’t consider myself light, but people have described me as light skinned in the past. So it’s pretty subjective. I can recall one of my little cousins, who was very dark, insisting that my sisters and I had to be white because we were so dramatically lighter from him and had long hair.My sisters and I are all practically the same “golden” brown, lighter golden brown color. We’re not truly “pale” like father’s <A HREF="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/2501703021_859183f0c3.jpg?v=0“ REL=”nofollow”>great <A HREF="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2501702759_8cdf5f0868.jpg?v=0“ REL=”nofollow”>aunts who were often mistaken for being white back in the ’40s and ’50s. We were brown. But I know that from having such a color spectrum in our family, compared to other relatives on both sides we are considered to be dramatically lighter. Like how my dad, who doesn’t look like to me in any picture I’ve ever seen of him is considered to be the “light” one between him and his other whole brother (they have a half brother who is a bit lighter than the both are.) I can believe that he carries a lot of white genes in him, explaining how we all came out my mom’s color and not his and were all, as newborns, as white as the next white baby and were a wee paler until we got a bit older. But it is super subjective, because, as I said, I didn’t see us as light, but to dark complexioned people we were.

8. Hey anonymous – When I go to buy my monthly supply of Mizani (hair products), I walk by rows and rows of lightening creams, relaxers, bleaches – products that are meant to whitewash me. These products are actively sold to darker-skinned people.So yeah, it does matter that one of the most high-profile African-American singers wears a long straight blond weave and has drastically altered her skin tone. She’s promoting the notion that lighter is beautiful – one that dark-skinned people have had to endure for centuries.

9. Anonymous says:

I have always hated Beyonce and that “I’m creole” bullshit. It’s just another way of not wanting to be Black.Beyonce ain’t no damn creole. She’s just another dusty Black girl from Texas. I’ve seen her parents: they Black.I am a high, high yellow woman with dirty blonde hair and green eyes, and I am Black. BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK.When ever people ask me, “What are you?” with that little smile, I always say, “I am 100% American Black.” And I say it with a nice, big, full-teeth, bright eyed smile. It confuses the shit out of racial idiots, and I love it.

10. I’m sure the Knowles were somewhat complicit, but when I see this ad, I think back onto the SELF magazine ad (or some other women’s fitness mag) from last month that featured Venus Williams.The photographers had the flash so damn bright on her, she almost looked overexposed. Gorgeous pic of Venus, but totally obvious that the photographer/creative folk wanted to ‘lighten’ her up for the image. SMH.As for this Beyonce ad, she looks pale, sickly and the blonde lacefront looks about as fried as the chimichanga I’m going to have for lunch today. LOL. Blonde is part of her ‘trademark’ now, and yes I think going with the color, the entire look was meant to set her apart from the other girls in the group. (Remember when they had Kelly suffering through that tacky, kool-aid pink tracked through her hair?) I remember also Beyonce at some MTV awards dressed in a bedazzled gold outfit her mom made, with her makeup packed like panqueques and her hair dolled up like my Malibu Barbie circa 1982. I’ve seen other images of Beyonce; hell, even flipped through the Dreamgirls book that came out with the movie. She rocked the darker hair there. I remember one image of her, just taken at random, not posed and her skin was very pale. Maybe it was because of the contrast of the hair and set, but she was bland. It IS subjective as there are levels of colors to Black folk. Some consider me ‘light-skinned’ but I think I’m more yellow and brown than anything; not ‘light’ necessary. But one does have to wonder. Usually skin tone fades IN THE WINTER, but it’s the middle of Summer… I understand hiding out to keep from getting tan, but there are a number of pics of Beyonce sunning on the beach and poolside. She’s a water baby. So you DO have to wonder, who set this up? And complicit much, Knowles clan? Methinks perhaps just a lil’ bit.

11. texasladybird says:

LMAO@ Wicked Witches of the East Coast!Add this ad to the long list of Hot Mess that Beyonce has been attatched to. Do not get me started on the tackines that is her clothing line. Overpriced, cheap looking and gaudy as hell. It’s right up there with Baby Phat. But at least ya girl Kimora aint frontin'(sp) like it’s haute coture. SMH.

12. Blonde is trademark for both Beyonce and Mary, I feel. But both ladies look better with the darker locks. Nobody gets a pass for fried, blonde messes LOL That’s how it should be :)

13. Anonymous says:

I mean really. What’s so cotdamn wrong about being black? Chick wishes she were Latina, Creole and she’s Blond every five damn seconds.

14. Anonymous says:

Beyonce, like Diana Ross, Prince, and several other black celebrities before her, is taking something internally to lighten her skin. All the creams in the world cannot make a person three shades lighter without any kind of streaking or discoloration. Look at her complexion from the DC days and look at her now. It’s a fact that she has lightened her skin, along with the altering of her nose.I think Beyonce is a genuine talent and I enjoy her music. But a role model for lil’ sistas she is not. One thing about her that just makes me so sad it the lace front wig. Now, there are plenty of celebrities who rock lace fronts. Many do it to give the illusion of thickness and length. Others do it to protect their real hair. Fair enough. But Beyonce’s wig is always some shade of BLONDE. And what’s worse, you rarely see her without it. And if she’s not rocking a full on lace front, then she’s got a fake ponytail swinging. The woman has issues. I’m not hating, I’m just being real here. You have issues if you wear a lace front wig while frolicking on the beach. A big hot ass wig glued to your hairline and you’re in the pool. That’s crazy!!! Am I the only one who finds this disturbing.And then the Creole thing. I’m from New Orleans. Me and my people are Creole, but we don’t claim to be some group removed from blackness. That said, Tina’s family isn’t even rooted in New Orleans, so Beyonce really needs to get off the Creole thing. Cause technically, she’s ain’t! But what is the point of saying “I’m Creole” when talking about race. Culture, yeah, but race, no. It’s like saying, “I’m not black, I’m a creole Haitian.” We’re all descendants of Africans, and while we may be different in some aspects culturally, we are all still black people. She really played up the “creole” thing for the B-Day album when she was doing press in Paris. Of course, she can’t speak a lick of French, but I heard a lot about her supposed “Parisian French” great grandmother during her world tour. Give me a break. And the comments about “wishing” she were Latina were the last straw for me. When I read that, I knew for sure that she has problems with her blackness and complexion.Rikyrah, I too remember that Oprah show. Beyonce had on a big bright blonde wig. It looked like a wig Jane Mansfield would have worn, and she looked completely ridiculous.

15. This post just saddened me greatly, Beyonce was a pretty light brown girl but the constant lighting and blonding speaks of someone who is not comfortable in her skin. As a mother, this type of imagery is such a negative. I remember back when Destiny’s Child was together and how the darker sistas got no play. Frankly I thought Kelly and Michele looked better than Beyonce. Like others have stated, Mary J. Blige being blond doesn’t bother me nearly as much and maybe its because I don’t see Mary as trying to assimiliate into a white standard of beauty like I see Beyonce trying to do.

16. Anonymous says:

the black snob & ryanb:First, I'd like to say that everyone on this website seems very interesting and knowledgeable and I'm glad I found it.However, why is it that when a prominent 1/2 black woman looks "lighter" than she did 10 years ago, you immediately jump to the conclusion that she is promoting the idea that white is the only accepted form of beauty anymore? I see countless contradictions to that idea every day in the form of magazines, TV shows, billboards, commercials, etc. featuring beautiful men and women that are NOT white. Furthermore, extremely light skinned white women are bombarded with tanning products and methods, some of which damage the skin, so they can look "more beautiful" and none of them have websites devoted to complaining about how only "tan" women are beautiful. Be proud to be black, white, whatever, but please, quit complaining about the "white institution". MOST of us are way past that. You should put all your knowledge and skill into something much more productive and less divisive than this BS.

17. Anonymous says:

BTW, I agree with the earlier post – Beyonce looked WAY better with brown hair. The blonde makes her look sick…

18. @ anonymous,And then the Creole thing. I’m from New Orleans. Me and my people are Creole, but we don’t claim to be some group removed from blackness. That said, Tina’s family isn’t even rooted in New Orleans, so Beyonce really needs to get off the Creole thing.There are Creoles all over Southern Louisiana and Texas; particularly in the Houston area and the coast there. I always thought it was her mother who touted the Creole heritage; isn’t it more a lifestyle than looks? I also read somewhere before that Matthew is of Haitian descent and Haitians are of Creoledom, too, yes? ;) Just curious. I got folks that are Creole…I think. Had a family reunion last weekend and met them and they were from the Houston area. Does cooking gumbo and jumbalaya on the regular qualify as Creole? Does eating it? If so, count me in, too. LOL.

19. Ody says:

Well here is the newest picture of Beyonce (taken on August 7th I believe)http://www.beyonceworld.net/gallery/candids/2008/MSGAugust06/images/001.jpgAnd we can clearly see that she is darker there. So I seriously doubt the “Knowles camp” bleached her skin for a photoshoot and then it magically reverted to her original skin tone.It’s so easy to set up a whole bunch of studio lights, go into Photoshop, and change the brightness + color balance of an image.It just seems odd that the photoshoot is the only place we’ve seen her this light during the summer.If you compare her skin at the time of her debut to now, she hasn’t changed to an extreme degree.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/DC_Destiny's_Child_low.jpgAnd while Beyonce is known for having a blonde wig, I never translated that as her trying to be white (although it does play up to the white standard of beauty). I always see the gigantic forest wigs as normal for her. Since she pushes an over the top, in your face, and “diva-like/fierce” image on stage as her “alter-ego: Sasha”.And for the past year or so, her hair has been black, dark red, brown, blonde, and every “natural” color in between.Ultimately, I think Beyonce’s image favors the white standard of beauty. But I doubt that she would purposely lighten her skin for a photoshoot and then go back to normal the next day….but the ironic thing is that this past winter she has looked extremely light, but just alot more natural looking (and not like an over-photoshopped messed)http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/5711/emporioarmanimensbeyoncwe1.jpg

20. Ody: I don’t know if everyone can open your links to I’m embedding them for you.<A HREF="http://www.beyonceworld.net/gallery/candids/2008/MSGAugust06/images/001.jpg“ REL=”nofollow”>Link #1<A HREF="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/DC_Destiny's_Child_low.jpg“ REL=”nofollow”>Link #2<A HREF="http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/5711/emporioarmanimensbeyoncwe1.jpg“ REL=”nofollow”> Link #3That said, I think you made some excellent points with some additional photographic research. It further confirms the likelihood that L’Oreal did photoshop her image or used a particular lighting that made her come off as lighter. Umbrellas and sunblock, as I said, can only do so much. And lighter makeup can only do so much. But how lighting is staged for a photo makes a HUGE difference in skin tone.

21. I always see the gigantic forest wigs as normal for her. Since she pushes an over the top, in your face, and “diva-like/fierce” image on stage as her “alter-ego: Sasha”. I agree :)

22. heartsandflowers says:

So what drugs do you take that makes your skin lighter? I assume it’s a daily required intake to last. And I’m afraid to find out what the side effects might be!

23. mynameismyname says:

To note, this isn't the first time Beyonce's medium-brown honey complexion has been dramatically tampered with in photographs. A few years ago, she was the rare black woman to cover Vanity Fair. The magazine caught some (perhaps, manufactured) flack from the press when it was revealed that Miss Knowles' skin tone was heavily lightened on her cover photo. To counter some of the previous posters, if manipulating a black woman's complexion to give a "light and bright" illusion as well as donning three packs of long blonde-colored Hawaiian Silkie horse hair as well as donning light contacts is not a deliberate attempt to adhere to the stereotypical ideas of "mainstream" (i.e. white female) beauty, I don't know what is!Yet, I have to agree with the phantom poster above, there's many examples that counter this "stereotypical standard of beauty". I mean, most of the black women in the media are perfectly brown. The three most prominent women of "power" in the media (Oprah, Condoleeza, Michelle O.) are VERY represenative of everyday black women, in terms of looks. A commerical of Naomi Campbell, in a silver bathing suit on the beach strutting seductively with animated lizards on the beach while hawking vitamin water runs every 5 seconds out here. And, of course, there's Venus & Serena, who are on TV every 5 seconds as well. OBVIOUSLY black women sell. So, why are they lightning up Beyonce? And why does she keep allowing them to? Lauryn Hill sold more records than her and was more respected overall and you never saw her don blond lace fronts or have her beauty ebony complexion lightned up 80 shades lighter on magazine covers, so what's the deal?!?! And what's the point?(Oh, and I agree with another one of the posters, even though there are some "Creoles" in parts of Texas, I never heard any mention of anyone in the Knowles' clan being of that culture until Beyonce reached a certain level of mainstream visibility as a solo artist. A lot of pale-faced (and not-so-pale) black folks are prone to calling themselves "Creoles" in certain parts of the South even when they have no actual cultural roots that belong to that subset of African Americans. [I'm looking at you Ray Nagin])

24. Are we seriously going to condemn this woman based on speculation and conjecture? Maybe I’m being naive, but I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that people really think that B would lighten her skin to get greater acceptance in the mainstream. I just can’t see it.And I have also noticed that her skin complexion does change depending on the circumstances, but she’s light skinned to begin with. That happens. Plenty of my light skinned friends are super pale in the winter, and get more color in the summer. Why can’t we just chalk this up to the bright lights, and the makeup? And personally, I prefer the dark-haired, super curly B, but again, just because she has Blond hair does not mean she is self-hating.

25. When my husband first hipped me to this site and your sister site, I was thrilled to be able to add two smart, politically relevant sites to my daily blog reading list. I especially enjoyed the series you did on black conservatives’ various reactions to Obama and their prospects for voting for him.However, of late I have been avoiding your site due to what appears to me to be an obsession with skin color. I ventured back tonight, after noticing on another site that you had done a piece on Beyonce and the L’oreal controversy. Before I began reading, I ventured a guess that you would go into another tedious (and repetitious) account of the varying skin tones in your family and your aunts who were often mistaken for white. Sad to see you’re still obsessed, and I’ll go elsewhere from now on for my political fix from a black perspective. Somewhere where boring,predictable color-struck musings won’t be routine offerings.

26. tchprch: I’m sorry you were disappointed with the site. I try to write about a variety of things, not solely politics (hence the mothers/daughters series, randomness about fashion, my upcoming doomed romance series and the recent Top Pundits feature). Usually when readers show a lot of interest in a particular subject I write more on it. I’m naturally curious so I can sometimes exhaust an item in my exuberance. (Much like the thing with Tyra dressing like Michelle or my fixation with CNN’s TJ Holmes.)I go through various ebbs and flows in what I feel like writing about and what I don’t. I don’t necessarily have a particular goal in mind for what I should and shouldn’t cover (I normally don’t think that far ahead in advance on what to write), but I understand your criticism and can see that I should do more to keep up a better variety in rotation. I’m sorry if I left you with a bad impression, but I understand. I do write about colorism, often because it’s an issue that divides or angers black people, but it is never openly discussed. I only talk about my family in an effort to show my relationship to the issue as others have shared their own familial stories. The only real point is the discussion at hand. I like to talk about it.But I like to talk about a lot of things. As I said, I can get a tad exuberant (or redundant). I’m often debating if I write too much or too little about one thing or another and sometimes it’s hard to strike a balance, or to see what works and what doesn’t for readers. So reader feedback is all I really have to go on to improve the site and to know how people feel.

27. Anonymous says:

some fool said 'why do we care about color blah blah blah and 'beyonce is actually one of the good role models'.. what have been smoking my brother? 'It's really none of my business what shade her skin is'. uhuh. so CHANGING the color of the skin you were BORN with is something we want our kids to do? riiiigghht. i'll tell you something, there is NO celebrity out there thats a good role model. I'm talking about the relevant celebrities (eg famous celebrities) because to BECOME famous they gotta do certain 'things' (if they're women) and thats sex appeal. if you've watched all her videos shaking her ass like a stripper practically sexing her man (jayz) on stage/on video. things like these to NORMAL hard-working people are known as SELLING YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL (DEVIL=MONEY). role models are obama and mrs o. oprah and so on. back to the color thing, ive lost any little respect ive had for beyonce now, ofcourse i dont have any respect for these female entertainers/strippers/video whores. they're talent is evidently undeniable, but the path they have chosen is not what you would want your kids to take. it is a real for a beautiful black woman to LIGHTEN her skin, a travesty especially for someone that has become a millionaire when she was 100% black. i mean, why does she have to change herself? why? i just dont get it. but thats hollywood for you. we got white people trying everything (sunbeds/fake tans/surgery – yes surgery) to get darker skin and here we have a brown skin lady going the other way.. people hollywood aint a place to admire, just enjoy what you see/hear and get back to reality. we only got 1 life to live, dont f*&k it up!!

28. Anonymous says:

This is so ridiculous! Beyonce has light skin. That’s how it is. Look at her in the Bootylicious video and she looks the same. Some black people have light skin and get darker in the summer. Big deal!And I think it’s a total double standard that Mary J Blige gets a free pass for dying her hair blonde but Beyonce gets crucified for doing the exact same thing. What is the difference! Why can blonde hair be part of who Mary J is and not part of who Beyonce is. Beyonce is black and believe me she knows it. How do I know, because I’m the same color as she is. I’m black enough to be followed when I’m shopping, and black enough to be denied service in a restaurant when I was traveling in Rio, but to some people with hang ups about their own skin color I’m not black enough.

29. anonymous says:

Oh Snob, I’m saddened that someone of your intellect would call whatever you think is happening with Beyonce "Michael Jackson Syndrome." That’s horrible and makes you just a regular member of the unwashed masses. Beyonce does not have vitiligo but Michael Jackson did and I don’t know why you don’t know that or refuse to accept that. Only albinos and vitiligo patients are actively without that much melanin. No amount of lighting, makeup, chemical peels (slight skin lightening is a side effect to anyone but not it’s intended purpose of course; original shading will return however) or airbrushing could make Beyonce have the very rude "Michael Jackson Syndrome". I thought you prided yourself on research and compassion? I guess that is not always the case, at least not with Michael Jackson – a subject you have disrespected many a time on this blog. And then to call him nose-less? My gosh, what is happening here?